2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

SameSame wrote:
20 May 2017, 18:59
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... for-monaco

Main points:

Great correlation between CFD, wind-tunnel and track for new parts in Barca (95%).

Second half of Barca upgrade package for Monaco.
I must say i've been seriously impressed with the car itself, despite having a dog of an engine.
It's really sad that all that chassis greatness is nihilized due to the engine problems.

looking at the team itself and the chassis i do see why Alonso decided staying with Mclaren atleast this year.

The engine problems must have really taken them completely by surprise. If i understood correctly, the one-cylinder testing bank was above promising. if that had transformed correctly to a full spec engine, this might have been up there with Mercedes and Ferrari but surely above RedBull.

I would be really, really, absolutely curious to see what would happen if they'd spoon in the Williams or Force India-spec Mercedes engine.

A side question though;

The Honda engine thread is so huge and clouded in some points that i get lost after 3 plus pages;

why isn't Mclaren using last year's Honda engines whilst Honda fixes this spec?
If i recall right, that engine was doing rather well in the end of last season, i remember seeing good stuff during Brazil for example.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SameSame

Manoah2u wrote:
20 May 2017, 21:28
SameSame wrote:
20 May 2017, 18:59
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... for-monaco

Main points:

Great correlation between CFD, wind-tunnel and track for new parts in Barca (95%).

Second half of Barca upgrade package for Monaco.
I must say i've been seriously impressed with the car itself, despite having a dog of an engine.
It's really sad that all that chassis greatness is nihilized due to the engine problems.

looking at the team itself and the chassis i do see why Alonso decided staying with Mclaren atleast this year.

The engine problems must have really taken them completely by surprise. If i understood correctly, the one-cylinder testing bank was above promising. if that had transformed correctly to a full spec engine, this might have been up there with Mercedes and Ferrari but surely above RedBull.

I would be really, really, absolutely curious to see what would happen if they'd spoon in the Williams or Force India-spec Mercedes engine.

A side question though;

The Honda engine thread is so huge and clouded in some points that i get lost after 3 plus pages;

If i recall right, that engine was doing rather well in the end of last season, i remember seeing good stuff during Brazil for example.
The car does seem to perform well. I'm excited to see what they can do in Hungary. Monaco might be tricky for Vandoorne and Button.

Hopefully Honda can provide a big enough step on the PU side to convince Alonso to stay one more year; and that next year everything comes together. To bridge the race pace deficit at the moment does seem slightly impossible though :(

With regards to the PU, maybe the cooling and packaging solutions are so different between the specs? Really hope they can have a mighty second half of the season and claim P4 in the constructors :D

mrluke

Manoah2u wrote:
Because this year's engine is still better than last years, and they need the testing data to help improve it further.

kfrantzios

mrluke wrote:
20 May 2017, 23:03
Manoah2u wrote:
Because this year's engine is still better than last years, and they need the testing data to help improve it further.
That and because last year's engine does not fit in the 2017 chassis

GhostF1

kfrantzios wrote:
21 May 2017, 17:39
mrluke wrote:
20 May 2017, 23:03
Manoah2u wrote:
That and because last year's engine does not fit in the 2017 chassis
That was spoken about to death in the PU thread. So all of the above. This years engine is physically much smaller entirely than last year. The layout is different as well. It would not be so simple.
It makes more power than last year, but the increased weight and significantly higher downforce hides that. Seriously though. Watch this space as I think Barcelona was the first of many GP's where Honda start to unlock the engines potential.

fellowhoodlums

Power circuits will still be an issue if the next PU update isn't a huge power impovement. I know Honda was targeting Canada but might not make it. Do we know if Canada a power circuit.?

mclaren111

Really hope Honda is working on 2018 PU as well !!!!

hazelnut120

GoranF1 wrote:
19 May 2017, 14:14
marvin78 wrote:
19 May 2017, 14:05
That's a hell of an argument....
What about 1.5 sec difference in BCN quali whit no reliability problems for Vandoorne?
0.5 seconds and muramasa on Autosport said that Hasegawa told Japanese media that Vandoorne had an electrical issue during quali. He's not had a single issue free quali this season. I don't know how it's rational to compare when reliability effected the sessions.

Vasconia

fellowhoodlums wrote:
22 May 2017, 10:28
Power circuits will still be an issue if the next PU update isn't a huge power impovement. I know Honda was targeting Canada but might not make it. Do we know if Canada a power circuit.?
Straights and chicanes, HELL YES. They are going to suffer so much is the update is not ready for this track.

GoranF1

hazelnut120 wrote:
22 May 2017, 12:10
GoranF1 wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
19 May 2017, 14:05
That's a hell of an argument....
What about 1.5 sec difference in BCN quali whit no reliability problems for Vandoorne?
0.5 seconds and muramasa on Autosport said that Hasegawa told Japanese media that Vandoorne had an electrical issue during quali. He's not had a single issue free quali this season. I don't know how it's rational to compare when reliability effected the sessions.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

rscsr

GoranF1 wrote:
22 May 2017, 14:39
hazelnut120 wrote:
22 May 2017, 12:10
GoranF1 wrote:

0.5 in Q1

godlameroso

Vasconia wrote:
22 May 2017, 12:35
fellowhoodlums wrote:
22 May 2017, 10:28
Straights and chicanes, HELL YES. They are going to suffer so much is the update is not ready for this track.
Power is important, but so is mechanical grip, low speed aero grip, and most important of all breaking.
Saishū kōnā

Thunder

godlameroso wrote:
22 May 2017, 15:26
....and most important of all breaking.
No one breaks better than Honda. So a Podium should be realistic for Canada. :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

godlameroso

New Honda engine in Canada

The Japanese are confident that a large part of the problems are solved as of GP Canada. Then Honda brings a new engine to the start. It has been greatly modified in the range of combustion. The Honda engine is equipped with a pre-chamber ignition.

In the Sakura development center, it is optimistic that the engine will bring the performance that Honda had targeted for the start of the season. First improvements have already been seen in Barcelona. Honda had modified the air intake and the petrol system.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 34472.html
Saishū kōnā

ME4ME

Sounds good. Will we see them surpassing the Renault PU soon? At Renaults current rate, it isn't out of the question.