2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Stormy

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 04:29
Stormy wrote:
19 Jun 2017, 21:45

Well they can't win races as a customer team. Maybe one or two then and there but...definitely not the championship.

As for dated facilities, i guess they can do something on that field with Honda money as well.
I know they have a state of the art wind tunnel. they would pay thier PU fees by allowing Ferrari to use it.
There would be no PU fees if Honda makes Williams their works team. Ferrari doesn't have any correlation problems with their wind tunnel anymore i guess that's evident by this season.

skoop

Hasn't Mercedes (Nikki Lauda) said that they won't give their engines to McLaren?
I think the reason was that they're busy enough fighting Ferrari and don't want any additional competition

diffuser

Lucky wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 14:41
Is Porsche contemplating a move to F1?
http://en.f1i.com/news/271193-porsche-c ... ve-f1.html

They did got to the F1 Pu meetings to talk about the 2021 PU regs

alexa

Williams are not considering switching to Honda power for 2018, according to Claire Williams.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/ ... gine-talks

HPD

Mclaren Mercedes (Chinese story) :roll:
When asked by GPUpdate.net if Mercedes was open to supplying McLaren in 2018, Wolff replied: "This is not our priority at the moment.

more: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3547 ... ren-honda/

adrianjordan

HPD wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 21:32
When asked by GPUpdate.net if Mercedes was open to supplying McLaren in 2018, Wolff replied: "This is not our priority at the moment.

As close to a yes as I think we'll get at present. I mean of course it's not their priority, there's the small matter of their own team!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

fellowhoodlums

I can only see it as being for one year if at all. Do you think Merc are gonna let a supplied team beat them? They'll get what Williams get and that's a spec before their own engine.

Stormy

fellowhoodlums wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 00:18
I can only see it as being for one year if at all. Do you think Merc are gonna let a supplied team beat them? They'll get what Williams get and that's a spec before their own engine.
Still, McLaren are capable of creating a great chassis where Williams are not because they lack resources first and foremost. Just look at Red Bull last year, how powerful they were with their great chassis and inferior Renault PU. Just imagine RB with Ferrari or Merc engine last year. They could've actually fought for the title. It's obvious why Merc and Ferrari didn't want to give RB an engine.

etusch

Stormy wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 03:54
fellowhoodlums wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 00:18
Still, McLaren are capable of creating a great chassis where Williams are not because they lack resources first and foremost. Just look at Red Bull last year, how powerful they were with their great chassis and inferior Renault PU. Just imagine RB with Ferrari or Merc engine last year. They could've actually fought for the title. It's obvious why Merc and Ferrari didn't want to give RB an engine.
I have read claire Williams explanation about Honda PU. She says with merc PU we were 4th why we swap PU and go back 9th. Like I said Williams must change their approach their mentality. Because they have any expectation from their chassis. Otherwise she couldn't talk this way. We see for long time they could not made good chasis and don't show any sign to try to do that. I think this is why pat Symonds leave them.

Thunder

Can we please stop discussing an officially denied Williams Honda Partnership in the McLaren Team Thread?
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mclaren111

Thunders wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 07:59
Can we please stop discussing an officially denied Williams Honda Partnership in the McLaren Team Thread?
Agree

RedNEO

HPD wrote:
20 Jun 2017, 21:32

But you left out the good part..

"First, we would like to see Honda and McLaren sorting out their relationship."
He added: "If you are being considered as the new bride, you want the couple to divorce first, before you jump into the bed."

I wonder how McLaren and Honda will announce the split?

Andres125sx

If I was McLaren I would have contacted Mercedes and I could have even promised I´ll use their PU next season, but that does not mean McLaren has made the decision yet. You cannot contact a different manufacturer saying "if Honda can solve the problems I´ll stay with them, but if not, I want you to give me a good PU". Nosense.

I think, and hope, McLaren is doing their homework so they´re preparing any alternative to be able to make the correct decision when neccessary, and that does include a good relationship with Mercedes just in case you want their PU again. But that does not mean they will use their PU next season for sure, far from that

At least that´s my take on this, rennouncing to Honda before they see how the new PU performs would be utterly stupid. Any reason to cope with three seasons of problems and when Honda finally have the freedom to solve the problems of their completely new 2017 PU, sign a contract with Mercedes just weeks/days before Honda can show the perfomance of their new PU? Complete nosense

I know many of you are frustrated with Honda, but to me this would be complete nosense by McLaren part

RedNEO

Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:05
If I was McLaren I would have contacted Mercedes and I could have even promised I´ll use their PU next season, but that does not mean McLaren has made the decision yet. You cannot contact a different manufacturer saying "if Honda can solve the problems I´ll stay with them, but if not, I want you to give me a good PU". Nosense.

I think, and hope, McLaren is doing their homework so they´re preparing any alternative to be able to make the correct decision when neccessary, and that does include a good relationship with Mercedes just in case you want their PU again. But that does not mean they will use their PU next season for sure, far from that

At least that´s my take on this, rennouncing to Honda before they see how the new PU performs would be utterly stupid. Any reason to cope with three seasons of problems and when Honda finally have the freedom to solve the problems of their completely new 2017 PU, sign a contract with Mercedes just weeks/days before Honda can show the perfomance of their new PU? Complete nosense

I know many of you are frustrated with Honda, but to me this would be complete nosense by McLaren part
Eventually you have to stop waiting for the impossible and act. F1 doesn't wait around for anyone and if Honda really had this miracle engine they would have produced the engine in Canada. McLaren also have next years car to think about and the guys back at the factory will want to start working on that if they haven't already. They will be the ones that need to know the most what engine they are getting next year so they can start working on it immediately.

It's a not so simple situation complicated even further by Honda stalling so it's left McLaren with no choice. I think it's the right choice, actually, going with Mercedes will mean they probably keep Alonso and people like Prodromou and also keep sponsors happy and confident for the future. Zac is a smart man I trust him to do the right thing.

Andres125sx

RedNEO wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:44
Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:05

Eventually you have to stop waiting for the impossible and act. F1 doesn't wait around for anyone and if Honda really had this miracle engine they would have produced the engine in Canada.
Sorry but I can´t see any logic in this. Any reason it should have been ready for Canada and that would have been good but if it´s ready for Baku it´s bad?

RedNEO wrote:
21 Jun 2017, 12:44
I think it's the right choice actually going with Mercedes will mean they also keep Alonso and Prodromou
Alonso left Ferrari because he was tired of fighting for second. I can´t see how McLaren-Mercedes would be better or it would motivate Alonso to stay.

Actually I think that decision would instantly put Alonso out of F1 :(