2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Redragon

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

It is not a problem of the engine, it was a problwm with fuel flow

mrluke

RedNEO wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:01
Another race another failure
By another Mclaren part.

Again.

But let's all bash Honda anyway.

Sorry for the dragging the thread back to reality by posting more nonsense....

etusch

From pitpass
After starting eighth, Stoffel ran as high as seventh in the race before pitting for tyres. A delayed 4.02s pit-stop allowed Felipe Massa to pass him in the pits and effectively ended his hopes of scoring a point.
Fernando suffered another disappointing race. After starting 20th, he carved his way through the field to run as high as 13th in the opening laps. A fuel pressure problem ended his race just after half-distance.
Fernando Alonso: "It was a difficult weekend for us, starting last with the penalties; then in the race, when I was following a group of cars, I had another issue.
"Hopefully, it hasn't done any damage to the engine and we'll be able to keep using it in the future.
"Stoffel was 11th today, so I think we weren't quick enough to be in the points today and I think I could have ended up 13th or 14th, so the retirement is a little bit less painful than it would be if we'd lost a points finish. Now I'm looking ahead to Hungary, which should be a better weekend for us."
Stoffel Vandoorne: "It's a shame to once again finish just outside the points - but there are plenty of positives to take away from this weekend.
"The pace we showed in the race today was very encouraging: to run as close as we did to both Force Indias and a Williams on a circuit like this is a real positive.
"Not everything went perfectly in the race - my pit-stop didn't go too smoothly, so I came out side-by-side with Felipe and lost a position. That was a shame, because there was definitely a chance to finish ahead of him because our pace was very similar to his.
"So, unfortunately, no points - but today was very encouraging, and I'm sure our time will come."
Eric Boullier: "From the back of the grid Fernando made a strong start, carving his way through the backmarkers, and was holding a solid 13th place by one-third distance. Meanwhile Stoffel was holding a steady ninth place.
"It was therefore disappointing when Fernando was forced to retire on lap 35, as a result of a drop in fuel pressure that led to a loss of power. We're still investigating the cause of that failure.
"With 10 laps to go, Stoffel was locked in a battle for 10th place with Felipe. In the end his hopes of scoring a world championship point were to come to naught, but his was a solid and impressive drive nonetheless.
"From here we go to the Hungaroring, over whose many twists and turns, linked as they are by short straights, we hope to be a little more competitive."
It is positive that their race pace and Fernando's problem also positive. There is no damage on engine and he didn't dnf because of mgu-h. :mrgreen:

th1ago

It's good to see McLaren Honda making progress, today Stoffel was matching Williams and Force India race pace during certain periods but only 0.1s-0.2s off their average lap times
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... pe%20Massa
Av. lap time:1:37.933 (Vandoorne) X1:37.855 (Massa)
-
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... ban%20Ocon
Av. lap time: 1:37.933 (Vandoorne)X1:37.798(Ocon)
-
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... io%20Perez
Av. lap time: 1:37.933 (Vandoorne)X1:37.838 (Ocon)
-
Last edited by th1ago on 16 Jul 2017, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

I'll say it again, Vandoorne's race pace isn't bad, he just needs to work on a few things. Come on Honda, you can do it! I still believe.
Saishū kōnā

SameSame

mrluke wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:21
RedNEO wrote:
By another Mclaren part.

Again.

Where did he bash Honda? And not to get into a Honda vs McLaren debate of who is to blame, but by far and away Honda have had more failures than McLaren.

Alonso had no chance of scoring points today, failure or not; due to Honda forcing him to start from the back of the grid.

On a more positive note; they had similar pace to Force India and Williams as has been said before. I expect them to be the fourth best team in Hungary.

alexa

I expect them to be the fourth best team in Hungary.
You are forgetting Renault,they are getting better and better.

th1ago

Duplicate, sorry
Last edited by th1ago on 16 Jul 2017, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.

fellowhoodlums

Alonso talking about making the engine decision for 2018 as soon as possible.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced the philosophy of going with Honda in the first place is right. You ain't gonna win a world championship unless you are a works team.

Would Merc guarantee identical engines and concurrent updates with McLaren if they were supplier? No. Would Ferrari? No. Getting the odd podium is better than where McLaren is just now but that's all you'll get with a Merc or Ferrari engine. I'd rather win and that means sticking this out with Honda.

Do I believe they can win championship in 2018 with Honda? No. Win races....yes.

proteus

nokivasara wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:04
proteus wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:33
ollandos wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:19
get mercedes engine for next year ..give end to this ....
They should do it for the next race allready, this will be even more disastrous season as 2015 was...
The last two years of McLaren-Mercedes weren't that much better than last year, they finished 5th in WCC in 2013 and 2014.
I think it's better to sweat things out with Honda, they are bound to get better at some point and when they do nothing's gonna stop them.
Honda should just stop being afraid of grid-penalties and show up with new parts to the upcoming races to at least figure out what works and what doesn't for the 2018 season. It's not like they are risking a WCC title or anything...
13 season is completely different story. They made a mistake in the design which haunted them trough the whole season and due to the engines being ranked so close it hurt them even more, and jet they scored almost twice as much points as they did in 16. The 2014 was a vast improvement, mainly due to the engine, the car had glimpses of potential, but had massive problems with tyre temps and tyre wear and a rookie driver which may costed them few points that year as well and a position infront of Ferrari that year and jet they collected 181 points.

2016 was an improvement from Honda for sure, but it was far far away from what it should look like, and here we are in a new season and they somehow managed to fall back jet again and more than ever i fear that this will be even more disastrous season than that of 2015. They may even end up behind Sauber with a year old engines, which is embarassing and unacceptable and will stain the relationship forever, no matter the results in next years - if they even decide to stay together. With prospects like this, Mclaren has no other chance than cut their loses and move away as far as possible, since damage is getting only bigger and bigger.

The ultimatum which was set is aparently not going to be fullfilled, not with this kind of performance and in reality they are better off to be in the midfield with Mercedes engines until 2021 (like they were from 94 - 96 with Peugeot and Mercedes) in somewhat hibernation, preparing for the next engine overhaul and securing a deal with a more reliable partner.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

fellowhoodlums

proteus wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 20:59
nokivasara wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 16:04
proteus wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:33

They should do it for the next race allready, this will be even more disastrous season as 2015 was...
The last two years of McLaren-Mercedes weren't that much better than last year, they finished 5th in WCC in 2013 and 2014.
I think it's better to sweat things out with Honda, they are bound to get better at some point and when they do nothing's gonna stop them.
Honda should just stop being afraid of grid-penalties and show up with new parts to the upcoming races to at least figure out what works and what doesn't for the 2018 season. It's not like they are risking a WCC title or anything...

The ultimatum which was set is aparently not going to be fullfilled, not with this kind of performance and in reality they are better off to be in the midfield with Mercedes engines until 2021 (like they were from 94 - 96 with Peugeot and Mercedes) in somewhat hibernation, preparing for the next engine overhaul and securing a deal with a more reliable partner.
They will be in the midfield with Honda in 2018, can't see them falling back can you?

munudeges

The trouble is, we don't know where that issue is. It could be an indirect Honda problem.

The problem for McLaren now is they cannot afford this to happen next season. They absolutely, must, with no doubt, have an engine in the back of that car that is a known quantity.

alexa

@munudeges
The problem for McLaren now is they cannot afford this to happen next season. They absolutely, must, with no doubt, have an engine in the back of that car that is a known quantity.
And we keep saying that for the last 2 seasons.

SameSame

alexa wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 20:42
I expect them to be the fourth best team in Hungary.
You are forgetting Renault,they are getting better and better.
I am not forgetting them, I still think the Honda PU has some way to go to reach the Renault and that the McLaren chassis is better. The new floor Renault has seems to be working great; but McLaren is rumoured to bring, according to the forums, a big update package to Hungary.

maxxer

mrluke wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:21
RedNEO wrote:
By another Mclaren part.

Again.

Mclaren gearbox now Mclaren fuel pump , Plus the cable connections to shake loose because of the engine.

McLaren Applied Sciences = Fail