2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fifty

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Not to mention the few pretend breakages by their driver (the not broken drive shaft, and the not broken power unit).

I have no disallusions that Honda has provided a tissue paper and bubble gum p/u, especially before this season.
But this season, Honda has not been the biggest problem... they have been a problem, but not the only problem.

I don't think the other two sides to this 3 sided piece have been with out fault, nor are they as great as their PR teams have convinced everyone.

RedNEO

Fifty wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 00:08
Not to mention the few pretend breakages by their driver (the not broken drive shaft, and the not broken power unit).

I have no disallusions that Honda has provided a tissue paper and bubble gum p/u, especially before this season.
But this season, Honda has not been the biggest problem... they have been a problem, but not the only problem.

I don't think the other two sides to this 3 sided piece have been with out fault, nor are they as great as their PR teams have convinced everyone.
Sorry what? Are you saying Alonso faked failures? Judging by the amount of engine changes and other components there's nothing 'fake' about it.

RedNEO

SameSame wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 20:13
mrluke wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 19:21
RedNEO wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:01
Another race another failure
By another Mclaren part.

Again.

But let's all bash Honda anyway.

Sorry for the dragging the thread back to reality by posting more nonsense....
Where did he bash Honda? And not to get into a Honda vs McLaren debate of who is to blame, but by far and away Honda have had more failures than McLaren.

Alonso had no chance of scoring points today, failure or not; due to Honda forcing him to start from the back of the grid.

On a more positive note; they had similar pace to Force India and Williams as has been said before. I expect them to be the fourth best team in Hungary.
Exactly! I didn't he's just seeing what he wants to see.

ollandos

maxxer wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 23:17
mrluke wrote:
RedNEO wrote:
16 Jul 2017, 15:01
Another race another failure
By another Mclaren part.

Again.

Mclaren gearbox now Mclaren fuel pump , Plus the cable connections to shake loose because of the engine.

McLaren Applied Sciences = Fail
1.mgu-h mclaren problem
2.broked engines mclaren problem
3.vibrations mclaren problem
4.100+ps down of top team mclaren problem
5.10-15-20km/h less on straight mclaren problem
6. they can not pass even with drs any other car ..mclaren problem
7.3 years unreliability mclaren problem
8.alonso indy dnf...mclaren problem
say thanks to mclaren for chassis progres so far ...because its the only thing for f1 category and the major reason for competitive races....

Fifty

RedNEO wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 00:26
Fifty wrote:

Sorry what? Are you saying Alonso faked failures? Judging by the amount of engine changes and other components there's nothing 'fake' about it.
Yes.
He attempted to break the car after Carlos sainz passed him like a child. He came
Into the pits and claimed a broken drive shaft. There was nothing.
He self retired the car complaining of engine trouble, usually after being smoked by some sauber/TR/etc and there was nothing.
This came out via Honda when they were getting tired of Alonso being publicly negative.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to be publicly negative. I'm saying that he was outed by honda for being less than honest himself.

GhostF1

ollandos wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 00:34
maxxer wrote:
mrluke wrote:

By another Mclaren part.

Again.

Mclaren gearbox now Mclaren fuel pump , Plus the cable connections to shake loose because of the engine.

1.mgu-h mclaren problem
say thanks to mclaren for chassis progres so far ...because its the only thing for f1 category and the major reason for competitive races....
Apart from 1, 2, 3 and 7 being the same thing, also 4, 5, 6 also being the same thing you almost made a point. The actual thing people are trying to allude to is that both parties have problems, McLaren and Honda, Honda are taking the brunt of it, they could retire from something completely unrelated to them such as gearbox or suspension and the media portray it as a Honda issue when they retire. Apart from the select few fans who take part in these forums or actually look for information, the great majority we see in the grandstands or watching on tv will just pin it all on Honda and assume the engine is --- and know no better.
And yes it is true that scenario has only happened because of their string of issues they've created over the last seasons so it's almost second nature to assume a retirement is PU related.

And 8... I'm so over this heing brought up on a technical board. This is not a gossip column. It. Is. Irrelevant. Andretti and Honda USA have BOTH come out and commented on this. Andretti said Honda offered us more power or more reliability, we chose Power. Honda also came out and blatantly said we asked "power or reliability".
Failures will happen at that level. It's a fact of racing. --- happens. The bloody winner had the same engine.
And not to mention, different team, different design, different country of origin, hardly related in any of the three dimensions to the F1 side. People who bring the Indy point up basically confirm, for me at least, they aren't interested in facts or relevance, just media sandstorms for headlines.

RedNEO

Fifty wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 01:03
RedNEO wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 00:26
Fifty wrote:

Yes.
He attempted to break the car after Carlos sainz passed him like a child. He came
Into the pits and claimed a broken drive shaft. There was nothing.
He self retired the car complaining of engine trouble, usually after being smoked by some sauber/TR/etc and there was nothing.
This came out via Honda when they were getting tired of Alonso being publicly negative.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to be publicly negative. I'm saying that he was outed by honda for being less than honest himself.
Where's your evidence? lol Alonso didn't get smoked by anyone but it's not his fault if he's equipment let's him down. But carry on believing such nonsense I won't miss hearing stuff like this next year. :)

GhostF1

RedNEO wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 02:52
ollandos wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 00:34
maxxer wrote:

1.mgu-h mclaren problem
Don't bother trying to reason with them according to them it's all down to McLaren and Alonso pretending to have failures on the engine side. Despite the amount of engine changes that Honda themselves have done they still think it's actually somehow just some big conspiracy. It's laughable.
I don't know if anyone is blaming McLaren for EVERY single issue (if they are, they're deluded). But it is fair to say they've had some of their own troubles also, I think that's the point that is trying to be conveyed.

But agreed, by no stretch is it close to the engine issues Honda have had. Although it does seem to be the MGU-H that is causing every retirement, not a significant raft of various issues. If they get a handle on that, the completion rate would surely skyrocket.

RS200E

This feels like McLaren's season and the posts on here after every race.

The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Jef Patat

Indeed, this used to be a fun place. Now it's mainly weak future predictions based on... well, mainly on their own interpretations of reality. They should have their separate thread.

I would have hoped to at least have some discussion about how good the progress of the car is on this track, the rithm and maturity of Stoffel, not losing time on fights he can't win, getting a safe start, fending of Massa for so long, losing the points in the pit, being able to hold on after it,...

adrianjordan

RS200E wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 05:18
This feels like McLaren's season and the posts on here after every race.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TabwFck9vEt44/giphy.gif
Nah, the dog looks happy....don't see many happy people around here any more....
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jef Patat

Take another look at me :wink:

McL-H

Jef Patat wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 08:34
Indeed, this used to be a fun place. Now it's mainly weak future predictions based on... well, mainly on their own interpretations of reality. They should have their separate thread.

http://i0.wp.com/162.144.93.146/~univet ... C604&w=640

I would have hoped to at least have some discussion about how good the progress of the car is on this track, the rithm and maturity of Stoffel, not losing time on fights he can't win, getting a safe start, fending of Massa for so long, losing the points in the pit, being able to hold on after it,...
This is the McLaren-Honda thread, not the Stoffel Vandoorne thread. It's not a Belgian website either. But if you insist: finally, after half a season, Vandoorne showed maturity and good pace at Silverstone. Still, there are bigger problems, since one McLaren again didn't finish the race and the other was fighting for a single point and lost it. This team should be fighting for podiums, and until it does, complaining is without a doubt what you'll find here. And with little progression from Honda at all, those complaints aren't going to dissappear.

Honda is destroying McLaren. In fact, I can't see McLaren coming back to previous form anymore. Their budget slims every year they are driving with an uncompetitive engine, and are soon to be the new Williams: former top team.

etusch

McL-H wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:08

This is the McLaren-Honda thread, not the Stoffel Vandoorne thread. It's not a Belgian website either. But if you insist: finally, after half a season, Vandoorne showed maturity and good pace at Silverstone. Still, there are bigger problems, since one McLaren again didn't finish the race and the other was fighting for a single point and lost it. This team should be fighting for podiums, and until it does, complaining is without a doubt what you'll find here. And with little progression from Honda at all, those complaints aren't going to dissappear.

Honda is destroying McLaren. In fact, I can't see McLaren coming back to previous form anymore. Their budget slims every year they are driving with an uncompetitive engine, and are soon to be the new Williams: former top team.
Honda is keeping mclaren alive. You have to understand this. İf project would work it would be perfect. but unfortunately they are not competitive now. so it is just good.
Can you see what would be when they still use merc PU. Again no sponsor, no victory of WDC/WCC with engine bill. 2nd wcc finish at 2015 was best possible. 20156-17 seasons 3d maybe, maybe not
Mclaren is not going to be Williams because of Honda partnership. As soon as mclaren lost being work team they are a new Williams

RedNEO

etusch wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:25
McL-H wrote:
17 Jul 2017, 12:08

Honda is keeping mclaren alive. You have to understand this. İf project would work it would be perfect. but unfortunately they are not competitive now. so it is just good.
Can you see what would be when they still use merc PU. Again no sponsor, no victory of WDC/WCC with engine bill. 2nd wcc finish at 2015 was best possible. 20156-17 seasons 3d maybe, maybe not
Mclaren is not going to be Williams because of Honda partnership. As soon as mclaren lost being work team they are a new Williams
If Honda was actually keeping McLaren alive they wouldn't be talking about going with a different engine provider internally for 2018.