2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zeph

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Because he last drove for them in 2009? Those were atmospheric V8's, he has no knowledge of Renault's current hybrids.

Wazari

godlameroso wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 17:10
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns37095.html

Not sure how reliable this is, but apparently McLaren wants to keep it's current lineup.
Or does Honda want to keep its current lineup?
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GhostF1

Wazari wrote:
09 Aug 2017, 03:19
godlameroso wrote:

Not sure how reliable this is, but apparently McLaren wants to keep it's current lineup.
If the drivers have learnt anything about this engine and the goings on with Honda, which I suspect they have quite an intimate relationship with the PU as it's development has been quite public and Fernando is seen speaking to Hasegawa alot, I'd say Honda would want to keep them, definitely, more for a devleopment point of view, they likely have a feedback system that works well now, a new driver throws spanners in the works.
Not to mention 90% of the current drivers don't actually care about the engine or the drivetrain and literally have zero idea of whats going on, Alonso and Stoffel always come across as knowing what and where the issues are and the plans going forward with Honda. So I don't know, they may be more privy to things than most other drivers and their teams.

Joseki

Wazari wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

Are you implying that Honda doesn't want Alonso or that they want him and Vandoorne?
Because I think that would be a mistake given how Fernando is the best assets they have at the moment.

godlameroso

I think he's implying that Honda is paying the drivers salaries, and that they prefer to keep both drivers because they are happy with them.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

Honda pays Alonso, and has a say in that. Alonso won't go. If Alonso goes, Honda has word in who replaces him.

As for VanDoorne, Honda has nothing to say in that. That is purely Mclaren and Mclaren decide to use one of their development programme protegé's because he'll be loyal,
he's known to them and gives them easy information that they can use, there is no pressure because the car is far from fast either way, and he'll be cheap coming from their own
programme and additionaly thus very manageable.

If Honda brings fast engines and they'll be up for wins, hopefully next year, then VanDoorne needs to deliver OR he'll get replaced fast. Hence why Button was still signed. If Honda's engine performed, and VanDoorne wasn't up to the task, he'd be replaced by Button who has proven himself, and the prospect of winning would have given Button reason to compete. That chapter however is closed now and it's simple as that.

If Vandoorne doesn't deliver next year when there's a fast car, he's out and Mclaren will have plenty to choose from - as long as the engine is good offcourse. Which would include Hamilton, Perez, Ocon [though Mercedes probably wont want to ditch him], Verstappen, Ricciardo, Bottas, Vettel, Raikkonen, etc. etc. All already matured and shown to be capable. Something VanDoorne has not shown in any way yet.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

Wouldn't that be Ironic ....Hamilton Blocking Alo from going to Merc but then he would Join McLaren with Alo being there!

Manoah2u

Well i do think that the idea of a Mclaren with a WDC and WCC capable HONDA engine would sound very , very, very interesting for Hamilton with him being so interested in his hero Senna's path. As for Lewis, i think he has the capacity to choose a lot of options and there are 3 present which all have their benefits.

1) stay with Mercedes,
+ comfortably home
+ keep winning
+ get another WDC.
- turbulent history
- starts getting boring/grey
2) go to Ferrari
+ the reds, Senna supposedly would have went there instead of Michael
+ win with the reds
+ get a WDC with the reds, thats an achievement for both
- unsure about Ferrari's potential
- Vettel would not be a good combo. Ricciardo would.
3) go to Mclaren - HONDA
+ Senna's legendary combination
+ back home
+ get another WDC with them and get full circle
+ win again with Mclaren
- Alonso is there, and that combo did not go so well last time
- Mclaren has aimed to win and WDC and WCC with Alonso

I am 100% sure Hamilton has 1 eye pointed at Mclaren - Honda waiting to see how that unfolds.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

RS200E

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Aug 2017, 16:24
Well i do think that the idea of a Mclaren with a WDC and WCC capable HONDA engine would sound very , very, very interesting for Hamilton with him being so interested in his hero Senna's path. As for Lewis, i think he has the capacity to choose a lot of options and there are 3 present which all have their benefits.

1) stay with Mercedes,
+ comfortably home
+ keep winning
+ get another WDC.
- turbulent history
- starts getting boring/grey
2) go to Ferrari
+ the reds, Senna supposedly would have went there instead of Michael
+ win with the reds
+ get a WDC with the reds, thats an achievement for both
- unsure about Ferrari's potential
- Vettel would not be a good combo. Ricciardo would.
3) go to Mclaren - HONDA
+ Senna's legendary combination
+ back home
+ get another WDC with them and get full circle
+ win again with Mclaren
- Alonso is there, and that combo did not go so well last time
- Mclaren has aimed to win and WDC and WCC with Alonso

I am 100% sure Hamilton has 1 eye pointed at Mclaren - Honda waiting to see how that unfolds.
That's weird because I'm 100% sure Hamilton isn't interested at all in what McLaren does when it comes to leaving Mercedes, if he ever does leave Mercedes, if Honda ever compete for wins, if they are ever better than Ferrari, if Alonso leaves :p
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

dren

I don't see Hamilton ever leaving Mercedes. He was brought up by Mercedes through Mclaren. He'll retire with them.
Honda!

Manoah2u

Nah, he's got a book ready to burn them to the ground. He's loyal as far as his career benefits from it.

The moment Ferrari becomes really interesting, and could provide him with a WDC car and a good offer he's off to the reds before anybody could even see it coming.
He'll get all the tifosi on his side with a single win, and within months when Mercedes critizes him Ferrari reads the book and says publish it, though i think the book above all will be a nice extra retirement funds when his music and off-motorsports career will not go as planned.

You might think Hamilton is not interested at all in Mclaren, and to a degree offcourse he isn't as he's in a WDC car doing fine. No need to be bothered by Mclaren's trouble.
But when the Honda suddenly spews dragonfire and blasts hp like in the Senna days, we're off to something very different. Especially if you'd see Alonso as 'Prost' there.

godlameroso

People keep ragging on Vandoorne, but McLaren who knows better than all our armchair experts put together still has a lot of faith in him being a future world champion. I don't get the same feeling that Perez or Magnussen had during their brief spell there. Comparing a rookie against arguably the best driver on the grid would never flatter him, but his race pace in clean air is very good, again McLaren see more than we do, downvoting me and telling me I'm wrong won't change that.

"Yes, we are happy with Stoffel," confirmed executive Zak Brown.

"He is in a difficult situation next to Fernando and with the reliability problems we've had, but we think Stoffel is a future world champion. We want to go with the same drivers next year."
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

Stoffel also had a "suspect" first year in GP2.

But once he sorted his "issues" he was very, very good in second year.

Next year is his make or break year. I think he will deliver.

ZakB

1. Stoffel Vandoorne ART Grand Prix 341.5
2. Alexander Rossi Racing Engineering 181.5
3. Sergey Sirotkin Rapax 139
4. Rio Haryanto Campos Racing 138
5. Mitchell Evans Russian Time 135
6. Alex Lynn DAMS 110
7. Raffaele Marciello Trident Racing 110
8. Pierre Gasly DAMS 110
9. Nobuharu Matsushita ART Grand Prix 68.5
10. Richie Stanaway Status Grand Prix 60

I would have won as well.

Del Boy

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Aug 2017, 01:17
Nah, he's got a book ready to burn them to the ground. He's loyal as far as his career benefits from it.

The moment Ferrari becomes really interesting, and could provide him with a WDC car and a good offer he's off to the reds before anybody could even see it coming.
He'll get all the tifosi on his side with a single win, and within months when Mercedes critizes him Ferrari reads the book and says publish it, though i think the book above all will be a nice extra retirement funds when his music and off-motorsports career will not go as planned.

You might think Hamilton is not interested at all in Mclaren, and to a degree offcourse he isn't as he's in a WDC car doing fine. No need to be bothered by Mclaren's trouble.
But when the Honda suddenly spews dragonfire and blasts hp like in the Senna days, we're off to something very different. Especially if you'd see Alonso as 'Prost' there.
McLaren don't want him back. He was quick in the car but a complete distraction to the 'Team'. His set-up work was average to poor and never improved. His feedback was limited and would often want to go in the wrong direction. The team were never happy at the number of guests (Rapper friends) he used to bring into the garage and the constant whining about keeping trophies was silly.
And I used to really like Lewis!