2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Del Boy

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

RS200E wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 16:30
RedNEO wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 14:21
ZakB wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 13:54
For all the Honda fans I suggest you read this, instead of basing your comments on thin air and McLaren hate.

Doesn't sound that bad, does it. Everyone wins.

McLaren gets a works engine (not deal)
McLaren keeps Alonso
BP can develop fuel for two teams
Toro Rosso gets funding and free engines
Honda can develop without pressure
Honda can move over to Red Bull if they get their act together
Thanks for sharing with everyone. I'm just so relieved that McLaren did it. Also kudos to Renault for being good sports about it! Bring on 2018!
Looking forward to 2018 now.
Also looking forward to the McLaren Renault thread so there will eventually be no Honda fanboys, sick of them.

Great post by ZakB. Really sums it up. Sometimes I think people aren't actually watching the races the way they have tried to stick up for Honda and demonize McLaren. It takes a very strange person to post something that's the opposite of what's actually happening, more so if they continually post several times week after week - year after year.

Sadly the disillusioned Honda fanboys will still pop in the 2018 thread to gloat at McLaren Renault not getting past the top 3 teams, maybe even will be 5th fastest after Renault, but at least it's better than where McLaren would have been with Honda.

Eventually they will move on to the almost derilict STR Honda thread :D
Exactly and lets not forget McLaren are divorcing Honda. Honda would love to be supplying McLaren and they've been slapped in the face.

ALO_Power

A very sad day for McLaren and everyone that closely followed and believed in the McLaren-Honda project. Extremely gutting. I don't know how people can be happy about a temporary "power" fix that will be masked by more issues. That's just terrible. McLaren is on rails to become the new Williams. They lost the significant money, they lost the works status, they lost the ability to have tailor-made engines for their chassis and so on. They ditched Honda on the most critical part of the progress curve that will start jumping upwards. There's nothing positive on this. McLaren-Honda will never shine again and all of us closely following this project just lost 3 years of our lives that will never be paid back by watching this glorious project on the podium. A huge loss of 3 years not only for McLaren but also for Alonso and the story doesn't end here. The future is dull as well. Next year, be sure Renault engine will still be behind Ferrari and Mercedes and quite possibly on par or even behind Honda ! (Don't tell me that Sainz moved to Renault because he saw something. Sainz moved to Renault because it was the best for HIM. He wanted a chance on the Red Bull team, he knew he would never get it with Verstappen and Ricciardo around so he did the best for him, to move to a works top team that will get better and better and maybe if lucky challenge for titles somewhen. And no, don't get excited about McLaren, because even if they make best P.U which is impossible, they will still be a customer like Williams to Mercedes.) Let alone that Renault now is a works team so all McLaren will get is a customer engine of the 3rd best manufacturer (if not 4th). Also, Renault will design their engines to work best for their own chassis so a great middle finger for McLaren. Possibly next year the chassis won't be nice as this one and will be mediocre thanks to the late development and thanks to the fact that they will have to bolt on whatever Renault gives to them (another well-known transition year!). So yea, if fundamental issues like 2016 appear, everyone will bash McLaren that heeyyy now u got Renault engines BRUUH and ur chassis suck bruuh ha ! Very bad things. So yea, the best thing McLaren can get in 2018 is few podiums with some luck. Also, anyone talked about reliability ??? 2018 will be the year that Alonso's fury will reach maximum levels when he will be retiring with a Renault engine. Verstappen retired in almost half of the races. So yea, great stuff. And while having all of that we will possibily have Honda beating us with Toro Rosso. Then you will say, come on Red Bull is in the same boat. NO ! Red Bull now is in a golden boat thanks to McLaren's stupidity ! They will run Honda power in few years, be a proper works team and start collecting titles like in past. So yea, rip McLaren-Honda and rip all of our hopes and time spent on this project from day 1. And probably rip Alonso too since he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Alonso Fan

I sincerely hope mclaren produce a great chassis next year.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

techman

alonso was reason why mclaren ditch honda. alonso gave the ultimatom for mclaren to drop honda if they are to retain him . mclaren listened to him . alonso is the last person to listen. he made terrible decision. and this could be another. shame

HPD

In 2021 there will be new engine rules. Who will have the advantage? Teams with work status.

With Experiences:
Mercedes
Ferrari
Renault
Red Bull Honda.

No experiences:
New Engine Suppliers

And red bull knows it 8)

loner

hemichromis wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 10:09
I remained sceptical about the split until Bernie was featured in F1i:

"The Renault deal is all done. Alonso staying is super news," said Ecclestone.

"But I can't see why McLaren will be any happier with Renault than they are with Honda.

"It wasn't Honda's fault things didn't work out, it was McLaren's.

"Every day they had a fight about everything, instead of working with them, which was a little bit stupid."

http://en.f1i.com/news/279497-279497.html

If Bernie believes it's all done....
kinda confirmed my theory about in reality who ditched who.
para bellum.

Raleigh

For Fernando at least the move makes sense, he's got perhaps 2 competitive seasons left and a McLaren-Renault package is a viable race-winner much the same as Red Bull now.

For McLaren though the deal seems like a mistake, they are trading works status for a temporary performance advantage, and not even a massive gain as the Renault is no Mercedes or Ferrari.

RedNEO

RS200E wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 16:30
RedNEO wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 14:21
ZakB wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 13:54
For all the Honda fans I suggest you read this, instead of basing your comments on thin air and McLaren hate.

Doesn't sound that bad, does it. Everyone wins.

McLaren gets a works engine (not deal)
McLaren keeps Alonso
BP can develop fuel for two teams
Toro Rosso gets funding and free engines
Honda can develop without pressure
Honda can move over to Red Bull if they get their act together
Thanks for sharing with everyone. I'm just so relieved that McLaren did it. Also kudos to Renault for being good sports about it! Bring on 2018!
Looking forward to 2018 now.
Also looking forward to the McLaren Renault thread so there will eventually be no Honda fanboys, sick of them.

Great post by ZakB. Really sums it up. Sometimes I think people aren't actually watching the races the way they have tried to stick up for Honda and demonize McLaren. It takes a very strange person to post something that's the opposite of what's actually happening, more so if they continually post several times week after week - year after year.

Sadly the disillusioned Honda fanboys will still pop in the 2018 thread to gloat at McLaren Renault not getting past the top 3 teams, maybe even will be 5th fastest after Renault, but at least it's better than where McLaren would have been with Honda.

Eventually they will move on to the almost derilict STR Honda thread :D
Couldn't have said it better myself. Bring on the positive vibes next year! :D

techman

There is nothing stoping redbull beating mclaren 2018. mclaren high drag chassis will be exposed, no more hiding behind the engine now in 2018. 2018 will expose the truth behind mclaren and honda and mclaren will have nowhere to hide

Chicane

Isn't it funny to assume that a data driven professionally run organization like Mclaren will take a decision of this magnitude in an arbitrary fashion?

Didn't Zak clearly mention that they will sit down with cleverer guys who know a thing or two about engine and take a call?

Mclaren have the data about what Honda have now and their plans for next season. I can understand people not liking the decision Mclaren have made and i respect that but Mclaren in my opinion have made a decision taking a plethora of factors in to consideration.

I can understand the sentiment that Honda may turn it around but Renault will also make progress for next year. After all they have already trained their focus completely on 2018, have three teams doing miles now and will be in preseason testing 2018.

According to Mclaren the progress Honda will likely make for next year is not going to be enough. Now their assessment will be based on a lot of facts and hard information available to them and merely on hunch that Honda ''may'' turn it around they cannot just jump in to next season and risk having another season languishing at the back of the grid with the Saubers.

I actually admire Honda for sticking around despite being rejected by Mclaren as it shows competitive spirit. In fact i myself would be keenly watching their progress next year as to how they will do. However i feel Mclaren simply could not wait any longer with motivation levels at an all time low, less points at this stage than in 2015, risk of technical staff deserting etc.
Quickshifter

Thunder

Well Kudos to Renault for delivering Engines to Red Bull and McLaren while still building up their own Works Team to fight for the Top.

Would have loved to see the McLaren Honda collaboration to come good but i guess Time was just running out for McLaren to wait for a good PU.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ZakB

Chicane wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 18:12
Isn't it funny to assume that a data driven professionally run organization like Mclaren will take a decision of this magnitude in an arbitrary fashion?

Didn't Zak clearly mention that they will sit down with cleverer guys who know a thing or two about engine and take a call?

Mclaren have the data about what Honda have now and their plans for next season. I can understand people not liking the decision Mclaren have made and i respect that but Mclaren in my opinion have made a decision taking a plethora of factors in to consideration.

I can understand the sentiment that Honda may turn it around but Renault will also make progress for next year. After all they have already trained their focus completely on 2018, have three teams doing miles now and will be in preseason testing 2018.

According to Mclaren the progress Honda will likely make for next year is not going to be enough. Now their assessment will be based on a lot of facts and hard information available to them and merely on hunch that Honda ''may'' turn it around they cannot just jump in to next season and risk having another season languishing at the back of the grid with the Saubers.

I actually admire Honda for sticking around despite being rejected by Mclaren as it shows competitive spirit. In fact i myself would be keenly watching their progress next year as to how they will do. However i feel Mclaren simply could not wait any longer with motivation levels at an all time low, less points at this stage than in 2015, risk of technical staff deserting etc.
This was the problem:

They drew up a three-stage development plan to achieve this by an agreed deadline. The first step was scheduled for May's Spanish Grand Prix, the second for the Canadian GP in June, the third and final step - to match the estimated Mercedes customer engine output - was meant to arrive in time for August's Belgian Grand Prix.

Honda brought updates to each of these races, but they were not sufficient. As its F1 project leader Yusuke Hasegawa admitted in the FIA press conference at Spa, Honda "failed" in its task, and was now in breach of the development plan agreed with McLaren, opening the door for separation and severance.

Even with 'god' Illien ( :lol: ) they weren't hitting any targets.

OneAlex

One of the most consistent defences of Honda in this thread is that they've had less development time than other manufacturers.

If McLaren struggle against Red Bull next year how reasonable will it be to say it's down to McLaren having to develop and tune their chassis to a new engine design compared to Red Bull's experience with it?

JonoNic

techman wrote:alonso was reason why mclaren ditch honda. alonso gave the ultimatom for mclaren to drop honda if they are to retain him . mclaren listened to him . alonso is the last person to listen. he made terrible decision. and this could be another. shame
Careful now. He was just an outspoken employee that either did it on his own or Mclaren asked him to pressurise Honda. Either way F1 will go on.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

ZakB

OneAlex wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 18:23
One of the most consistent defences of Honda in this thread is that they've had less development time than other manufacturers.

If McLaren struggle against Red Bull next year how reasonable will it be to say it's down to McLaren having to develop and tune their chassis to a new engine design compared to Red Bull's experience with it?
Probably not that much, Brown said that implementing the new engine shouldn't affect the development when it was done within 2 weeks after Monza. They were even considering switching to Mercedes during the season, so it probably will be fine.