2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

My assumption about that that hasegawa was talking about engine performance. I think if Mclaren Honda partnership not finished they would introduce spec 4 and than step by step they would increase engine's performance as they did earlier specs and at the end they will be level which Hasegawa talked about. But partnership finished and they change the aproach. So they introduce only one update and they are planning to introduce it when it completely ready.

Manoah2u

i'm sure it's in Honda's personal interest to spoon in the spec4 engine as it will give them valuable real life information they need so much.
nevertheless, that 'old spec' they ran in Suzuka actually did pretty good. Which i find very interesting, actually.

Next year could really be something for Honda. I wonder whether Mclaren is nog really going to be slamming their own heads against the walls if Toro Rosso completely destroys them next year, but it will be far too late by then, we'll 100% see that Honda get in the RB before midseason then and Mclaren will be stuck with a customer Renault engine.

It makes me sad though that that is an actualy possibility.

On the other side, i am also rather curious on Mclaren-Renault, which is a interesting combination to say the least.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

HPD

Hasegawa:
Since the introduction of the 3.5 Grand Prix of Belgium 2017 in Spa-Francorchamps.
- "it is very close to Renault".
- "I can not say we are better than Renault, but at least our confiability is now better."

Hasegawa is convinced that the latest version of the drive is the best one ever in the McLaren.
- "We are still not far enough, but the gap is smaller than last year and the first year."

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 01006.html

DFX
DFX

HPD wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 22:33
Hasegawa:
Since the introduction of the 3.5 Grand Prix of Belgium 2017 in Spa-Francorchamps.
- "it is very close to Renault".
- "I can not say we are better than Renault, but at least our confiability is now better."

Hasegawa is convinced that the latest version of the drive is the best one ever in the McLaren.
- "We are still not far enough, but the gap is smaller than last year and the first year."

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 01006.html
If he meant close like 5% margin it is very close, but it's still +/- 45hp though

Although reliability has actually being better, excluding Alonso PU leak in SPA, I think it's a bold claim to access that they are better than Renault on the matter

About the part of the post you omitted here (posted on Honda thread), it's not the matter of who is lying. Both are 'technically' telling the truth, probably omitting some things.

It's doubtful though that Mclaren with this kind of 'data' from Honda would still want to terminate the partnership

Squid

DFX wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 23:35
It's doubtful though that Mclaren with this kind of 'data' from Honda would still want to terminate the partnership
Not if you consider that the termination was also political in nature, which I don't doubt for 1 second, considering Ron Dennis' involvement in bringing Honda and McLaren together in the first place.

zoroastar

it did do ok. except for the fact that alonso started from the back of the grid on something like his 10th PU this year. it would have been nice to see where he would have ended up starting from where he actually qualified. alas, maybe honda can go from using 15 power units this year to 3 power units maximum next year. i doubt it, but maybe miracles do happen.
Manoah2u wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 22:23
i'm sure it's in Honda's personal interest to spoon in the spec4 engine as it will give them valuable real life information they need so much.
nevertheless, that 'old spec' they ran in Suzuka actually did pretty good. Which i find very interesting, actually.

Next year could really be something for Honda. I wonder whether Mclaren is nog really going to be slamming their own heads against the walls if Toro Rosso completely destroys them next year, but it will be far too late by then, we'll 100% see that Honda get in the RB before midseason then and Mclaren will be stuck with a customer Renault engine.

It makes me sad though that that is an actualy possibility.

On the other side, i am also rather curious on Mclaren-Renault, which is a interesting combination to say the least.

HPD

The engine that Alonso used in FP2, had a hydraulic problem. Basically if we assume that the engine is OK, Alonso has 2 engines with little use.
Alonso can finish the season without needing to penalize. But he will not be able to use spec 4..
Vandoorne will finish ahead of Alonso.

loner

daren_p wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 20:04
Did Hasegawa actually state spec 4 would surpass Renault? I don't recall seeing this ever posted, all I recall is him saying they "hope" to surpass Renault by the end of the year, which are two very different things. They also "hoped" to be on the podium towards the end of the last two seasons & we all know how well that worked out. Until it actually happens or is specifically stated, we should not be going on "hope".
thats what exactly Mclaren did by the split.. and the past 2 years we all know the circumstances.
you are confirming my words its matter of NO trust NO believe but at the end of the day the Honda F1 boss said
I really want to move ahead of Renault in terms of performance before the end of the season."
Asked if that was a realistic goal, given Honda's woes, Hasegawa hinted that data from their 'Spec 4' power unit showed positive gains.
"Yes," he replied. "I can see that on the data. I will not tell you the number, but we are closing the gap [to Renault]."
i trust and believe Honda every one is free of his believes.
i was just replying to someone told me iam talking BS and without knowledge a baseless assumption , well its not baseless its not BS its words from Honda racing f1 boss.
para bellum.

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 22:23
I realise it is still a customer PU, but don't Mclaren have a customer works PU deal, such as RBR have enjoyed some success with?

While Mclaren are Renault's new partner, ai genuinely believe that they will get more support from Renault than RBR will. Why? Because RBR are open about looking for a new PU supplier and have not exactly given Renault much praise the last few seasons to say the least.
I'm sure thay Mclaren will blow their own trumpet, yes, but I think that any success they have will also come with praise for the Renault PU and how much better they perceive it to be than the Honda...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

restless

Am I the only one who thinks already read this interview with Hasegawa literally weeks ago?!
Last edited by restless on 11 Oct 2017, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

Renault themselves have as goal to get back to the front to get a WCC capable car. There's no way in life that if they get there, they'll let themselves be beaten by Mclaren.
And frankly, that same goes for non - WCC. let's say they're gonna battle for 4th or 3rd in the constructors. Renault doesn't want to get beaten by Mclaren with THEIR engine.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

HPD

There is still nothing signed between Fernando and the new team.
The reason: the results of the simulations. Alonso does not think to lose a penny much less after seeing the simulations of the new car, which put him struggling with the usual: "in the bottom of the table and away from the title contenders".

https://www.diariogol.com/motor/fernand ... 4_102.html

restless

In place of Zak Brown, I won't sign Alonso unless he takes much lower salary.
no Alonso - bingo 30mln more for car develeopment. Ok, make'em 29 and sign Lando Norris or Button
Manoah2u wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 13:28
Renault themselves have as goal to get back to the front to get a WCC capable car. There's no way in life that if they get there, they'll let themselves be beaten by Mclaren.
And frankly, that same goes for non - WCC. let's say they're gonna battle for 4th or 3rd in the constructors. Renault doesn't want to get beaten by Mclaren with THEIR engine.
Somehow Rb beats Renault year after year, so your point is not good enough

etusch

restless wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 14:48
In place of Zak Brown, I won't sign Alonso unless he takes much lower salary.
no Alonso - bingo 30mln more for car develeopment. Ok, make'em 29 and sign Lando Norris or Button
Manoah2u wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 13:28
Somehow Rb beats Renault year after year, so your point is not good enough
What renault can do on engine when gap is so big among redbull and renault ?

f1universe

HPD wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 13:35
There is still nothing signed between Fernando and the new team.
The reason: the results of the simulations. Alonso does not think to lose a penny much less after seeing the simulations of the new car, which put him struggling with the usual: "in the bottom of the table and away from the title contenders".

https://www.diariogol.com/motor/fernand ... 4_102.html
That web is trash, fake news. They always make spicy news with Alonso for easy clicks in Spain.