2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

HPD wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:18
https://www.thisisf1.com/wp-content/upl ... normal.jpg

Eric does not lie. But look at the upper air intake
Can someone add the RBR car here for better comparison? Although is quite clear that the Reno PU requires large air intake on the top of the rolebeam
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

The end of the season can't come soon enough......

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:42
The end of the season can't come soon enough......
Some how I doubt you’d be happy if Abu Dhabi was cancelled tomorrow :lol:

Snorked

Wazari wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 00:34
diffuser wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 20:57
Wazari also mentioned that the SPEC 4 might be raced next year. The ICE and MGU-H are new in SPEC 4, only run on Dyno.
Maybe, maybe not.

Honda have been running the 2018 PU in a Super Formula test mule? [-o<

diffuser

HPD wrote:

Forget that the side pods have the biggest radiators in them. The first thing I notice is the 2 Renault powered cars have a huge disparity in the size of the holes. That tells me that the hole has little to do with the amount of cooling required. It is rather more to do with 1 approach over another.

Restomaniac

bauc wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 12:29
Thunder wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 11:25
From jetalt and CPR on the Autosport Forum:

EB on the Renault Cooling Requirements:
https://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/fo ... aign=ge_f1
Further explanation from the McLaren director: "We are not radically changing the car, the 2018 will be 100% an evolution of the current. The radiators required by the Renault unit are smaller than those of Honda, making our aerodynamic set easier. We need to redesign the exchange. I can not tell you anything else, "Boullier told GloboSport.com reporter.

The need for cooling the French power unit is less than that used by Honda. The implication of the smaller radiator is the freedom granted to designers to design lower and more premature sides, with significant gain in aerodynamics, such as less drag and greater airflow to the rear airfoil, another source of aerodynamic pressure generation.

"The day we announced the partnership with Renault, the technical data of the unit was already with us. It was in the time limit to be able to design the 2018 model in studies, even without knowing the engine, since June. "
So this confirms earlier reports saying that Mclaren had a huge task of designing a new clutch and gearbox for the Reno PU, however from aerodynamic point of few there is little to 0 penalty.

New hope for 2018
I pointed out how fat the McLaren was in comparison to the Red Bull. It seems fitting the Renault into the current McLaren chassis won't be a problem as long as they get around the gearbox and clutch. Which is normal for a differing PU I would imagine.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 23 Nov 2017, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nonserviam85

HPD wrote:

Since the start of the season I had the same question, how/why the Honda air intake is so small compared to the other teams.

Squid

Thunder wrote:

Further explanation from the McLaren director: "We are not radically changing the car, the 2018 will be 100% an evolution of the current. The radiators required by the Renault unit are smaller than those of Honda, making our aerodynamic set easier. We need to redesign the exchange. I can not tell you anything else, "Boullier told GloboSport.com reporter.

The need for cooling the French power unit is less than that used by Honda. The implication of the smaller radiator is the freedom granted to designers to design lower and more premature sides, with significant gain in aerodynamics, such as less drag and greater airflow to the rear airfoil, another source of aerodynamic pressure generation.

"The day we announced the partnership with Renault, the technical data of the unit was already with us. It was in the time limit to be able to design the 2018 model in studies, even without knowing the engine, since June. "
Interesting that he says that, because in Mexico Honda managed to deal much better with the thinner air and greater cooling requirements, while Renault engines were overheating and blowing up all along the track.

proteus

Squid wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 17:31
Thunder wrote:

Interesting that he says that, because in Mexico Honda managed to deal much better with the thinner air and greater cooling requirements, while Renault engines were overheating and blowing up all along the track.
Well, Honda units were fresh if im not mistaken, and Honda has changed almost double the amount of each components trough the season than the most stricken team/driver with Renault engine.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

Snorked wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 15:52
Wazari wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 00:34
diffuser wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 20:57
Wazari also mentioned that the SPEC 4 might be raced next year. The ICE and MGU-H are new in SPEC 4, only run on Dyno.
Maybe, maybe not.

Honda have been running the 2018 PU in a Super Formula test mule? [-o<
Not sure why Wazari felt the need to clarify my "might" to be a "maybe, maybe not" as they are synonyms. I understood it to mean they might not run the spec 4 (Wazari Spec 4) next year.

I think Honda is too "Honest" to do something that is against the spirit of the rules.

diffuser

proteus wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 18:09
Squid wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 17:31
Thunder wrote:

Well, Honda units were fresh if im not mistaken, and Honda has changed almost double the amount of each components trough the season than the most stricken team/driver with Renault engine.
I forget where I read it but they said that Honda did something different in Mexico. Instead of spinning the turbos faster to make up for the thinner air they used the mgu-k. I think they used the regenerative braking to spin up the turbo out of the corners not sure(didn't quit make sense to me)... Anyways that's why they didn't overheat the MGU-H, they just didn't work it harder. kudos to Honda for finding a great solution for that.

HPD

Honda, who will be the Toro Rosso rider from the next academic year, wants not only to match the performance of the Renault engine, but to overcome it. Yusuke Hasegawa, the project manager of the Japanese brand in Formula 1, said that "our goal for 2018 is to go beyond overtaking Renault."

A few statements that put in a serious embarrassment to Wooking and the Spanish pilot himself, who were convinced that with the change of engine, everything would be better. But this new Honda stab has done a lot of damage. And they do not lack reason.

At the moment, all the simulations that are being carried out from England with the new Renault engine coupled to the British chassis, do not reflect much change with respect to the Honda engine.

Yes it is true that the increase in benefits exists, but it is not as big as in the beginning it could be expected. In fact, everything points to McLaren being again far behind the three greats.
https://www.diariogol.com/motor/honda-a ... 8_102.html

Joseki

The logic used in the article doesn't make sense. They wrote that McLaren will be behind the top 3 because of the engine not being much faster than the Honda engine, and that implies that they will be closer to the top 3 with if they had more power. Of course that makes no sense considering that Red Bull is part of the top 3 and will have the same amount of power McLaren will have.

Personally I'm waiting for winter testing, I'm sure we'll read the most absurd things in the next few months, I'm fully expecting rumors like "Renault will have 1050 hp" or "Honda's has found 100 hp!".

Restomaniac

Joseki wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 00:59
The logic used in the article doesn't make sense. They wrote that McLaren will be behind the top 3 because of the engine not being much faster than the Honda engine, and that implies that they will be closer to the top 3 with if they had more power. Of course that makes no sense considering that Red Bull is part of the top 3 and will have the same amount of power McLaren will have.

Personally I'm waiting for winter testing, I'm sure we'll read the most absurd things in the next few months, I'm fully expecting rumors like "Renault will have 1050 hp" or "Honda's has found 100 hp!".
What would make me chuckle if McLaren start bitching about their winter testing is being ruined due to constant red flags from STR breakdowns. Something they and Honda did constantly in the last winter testing.

diffuser

HPD wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 00:25
Honda, who will be the Toro Rosso rider from the next academic year, wants not only to match the performance of the Renault engine, but to overcome it. Yusuke Hasegawa, the project manager of the Japanese brand in Formula 1, said that "our goal for 2018 is to go beyond overtaking Renault."

A few statements that put in a serious embarrassment to Wooking and the Spanish pilot himself, who were convinced that with the change of engine, everything would be better. But this new Honda stab has done a lot of damage. And they do not lack reason.

At the moment, all the simulations that are being carried out from England with the new Renault engine coupled to the British chassis, do not reflect much change with respect to the Honda engine.

Yes it is true that the increase in benefits exists, but it is not as big as in the beginning it could be expected. In fact, everything points to McLaren being again far behind the three greats.
https://www.diariogol.com/motor/honda-a ... 8_102.html
I honestly wish Honda the best.