2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

HPD wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 16:01
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 09:38
Wazari wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 01:29
McLaren chassis B-, Honda PU D+. Thank goodness Mr. Newey doesn't work for Mercedes. That man is a genius and none of his prodigies come close. He is brilliant at creating DF from the bottom half of the car without sacrificing aero efficiency. No need to run T-wings with that car.
If you complain about McLaren packaging requirements, good luck with Mr. Newey in 2019 season :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I do not see it as a complaint.
But if you go with a new version of PU it was not the time to be demanding with the dimensions.
You had to secure the PU first without thinking so much about the packaging. This is what I never understood about Honda and Mclaren. Responsibility 50 - 50
Sorry but I disagree. You can´t build a normal PU and then after that modifying it to have a light PU into a tight package. If you want a light PU into a tight package, you must do it from the beginning to use the necessary components to build a light and small PU, but building a normal PU and then replace some components to make it lighter is starting from scratch again. Nosense.

turbof1

As always the truth is in the middle.

Yes, structurally speaking if you want to go for a tight package you better start off going tight from the beginning. In Honda's case this counted double because with the token system they actually were forced to do so.

On the other hand, if there was no token system, Honda should probably have gone conservative. You know, go for reliability the first season and collect data. Back in the 2000's, I believe BMW did that, going conservative the first year with a bulky and heavy power unit, only to cut down weight in the following years as well as widening the V (lowering CoG).
#AeroFrodo

Joseki
Joseki

It was good to see a trouble free day of testing for McLaren Honda. I wish this was pre season testing.

I think the split is the right choice but I feel nostalgic already, so much wasted potential.

NathanOlder

stevesingo wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 10:54
Techman,

you have made your point ad nauseum. Some may accept it, some may not. Repeating your opinion will not convince anyone else to believe it.

So, Jog on and stop wasting bytes with it.
He's just arguing with the Mclaren team themselves. They ARE saying THEY HAVE THE BEST CHASSIS on the grid. If thats the case they will beat Red Bull next season. If you beat Red Bull next season you have a great chance of winning races and a title. Now i would have thought most us could agree Mclaren won't be winning much at all next season. Which makes Techmans predictions correct. And when he says Mclaren are hiding behind Honda, its exactly what they are doing.

The 1 thing Techman needs to do is drop it, like you said, but that's only because no one is listening to him now. But be warned, everything he is saying is going to come true next season, Mclaren won't win a thing. And when they dont, how many of you will be big enough to apologise to him?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Alonso Fan

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 01:09
stevesingo wrote:
Techman,

you have made your point ad nauseum. Some may accept it, some may not. Repeating your opinion will not convince anyone else to believe it.

He's just arguing with the Mclaren team themselves. They ARE saying THEY HAVE THE BEST CHASSIS on the grid. If thats the case they will beat Red Bull next season. If you beat Red Bull next season you have a great chance of winning races and a title. Now i would have thought most us could agree Mclaren won't be winning much at all next season. Which makes Techmans predictions correct. And when he says Mclaren are hiding behind Honda, its exactly what they are doing.

The 1 thing Techman needs to do is drop it, like you said, but that's only because no one is listening to him now. But be warned, everything he is saying is going to come true next season, Mclaren won't win a thing. And when they dont, how many of you will be big enough to apologise to him?
Apologise to him for what exactly? Spreading baseless arguments that McLaren is a super draggy chassis? He is the one who brought up this RB vs mclaren debate not us.

Mclaren's chassis was not the biggest problem by a long shot this year. That was our point. We have evidence to support it simple as. Just because I was disagreeing with techman doesn't mean I automatically believe mclaren has the world beating chassis.

Even if mclaren had the better chassis this year, how does that guarantee them anything for next year? Same question can be asked of any team including Mercedes and ferrari. That's where techman is wrong. And about the draggy thing. Newey is a great designer and so is PP. But they're still human and don't always come out on top

NathanOlder

Alonso Fan wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 02:17
NathanOlder wrote:
stevesingo wrote:
Techman,

Apologise to him for what exactly?
Jog on, Trolling, Delusional , Talking out your arse, ect ect.

I'm not taking his side, I'm just pointing out that he's arguing with Mclaren who are saying they have the best Chassis on the grid.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

stevesingo
stevesingo

NathanOlder wrote:
stevesingo wrote:
Techman,

As many have said, McLaren may well have the best chassis in 2017 or they may not. But that counts for nothing in 2018. There will be new chassis for all teams and relative performance comparison will be reset.

Techman, and yourself by the look of it, so want to be right and have constructed and argument is such a way that you can't be wrong. MCL33 get beat by RB14 (which they will likely be due to better integration and more mature relationship with PU partner)=I told you so, I was right about the the RB13 being better than the MCL32.

Likewise, if the MCL33 beats the RB14, the argument will be made that the RB13 was better than the MCL32, and I (we) were right all along. Followed by some crap about McLaren copying the install off RBR and RBR being hamstrung by Renault because they are out of contract at the end 2018 and will be with Honda for 2019.

Either way take pleasure in you forthcoming victory of opinion.

Fowks
Fowks

Apologise in internet? What's that?😒

Anyway,the only true we surely know is that McLaren has one of the top 4 fastest cars in corners with a PU 15-20 kmh slower than the other 3. Honda needs much time to put at the same level of Renault and they are not going to stay slept.

RB has a good chassis but I see the Mc much more worked... We'll see it...

NathanOlder

stevesingo wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 10:05
NathanOlder wrote:
stevesingo wrote:
Techman,

As many have said, McLaren may well have the best chassis in 2017 or they may not. But that counts for nothing in 2018. There will be new chassis for all teams and relative performance comparison will be reset.

Techman, and yourself by the look of it, so want to be right and have constructed and argument is such a way that you can't be wrong. MCL33 get beat by RB14 (which they will likely be due to better integration and more mature relationship with PU partner)=I told you so, I was right about the the RB13 being better than the MCL32.

Likewise, if the MCL33 beats the RB14, the argument will be made that the RB13 was better than the MCL32, and I (we) were right all along. Followed by some crap about McLaren copying the install off RBR and RBR being hamstrung by Renault because they are out of contract at the end 2018 and will be with Honda for 2019.

Oh no no no, i couldn't care less for Mclaren, they can do what they like next season, they just shouldn't keep spouting on about best chassis ect. I was a Mclaren fan from 91-2012 and the last 4 years of that Mclaren went down hill badly and have never recovered, and all they do is blame Honda.

Next year I hope they rise along with Renault and make it 5 teams winning races. Fingers crossed they do.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Joseki
Joseki

Does anyone knows when the McLaren Honda contract ends? It's on December 31th? Will Alonso and Vandoorne be at the Honda Thanks Day?

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:17
stevesingo wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Oh no no no, i couldn't care less for Mclaren, they can do what they like next season, they just shouldn't keep spouting on about best chassis ect. I was a Mclaren fan from 91-2012 and the last 4 years of that Mclaren went down hill badly and have never recovered, and all they do is blame Honda.

Next year I hope they rise along with Renault and make it 5 teams winning races. Fingers crossed they do.
Are you able to provide a single quote from the McLaren team stating that they categorically have the best chassis? I know there were some quotes from Alonso saying they could be up there, could have won etc etc but please provide the quote from McLaren stating they have the best chassis.

NathanOlder

Nicktendo86 wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 13:24
NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 11:17
stevesingo wrote:

Are you able to provide a single quote from the McLaren team stating that they categorically have the best chassis? I know there were some quotes from Alonso saying they could be up there, could have won etc etc but please provide the quote from McLaren stating they have the best chassis.
"Fernando Alonso says McLaren proved they had the best chassis of the field in qualifying for Mexico"
"Being two-tenths off P1 in qualifying, that shows probably for the first time in the last three years we had the best car out there."
"Fernando Alonso has described McLaren's 2017 Formula 1 season as "very bad", despite successfully developing a car he has previously called the best on the grid."

Formula1.com & Autosport.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

stevesingo
stevesingo

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 14:46

"Fernando Alonso says McLaren proved they had the best chassis of the field in qualifying for Mexico"
"Being two-tenths off P1 in qualifying, that shows probably for the first time in the last three years we had the best car out there."
"Fernando Alonso has described McLaren's 2017 Formula 1 season as "very bad", despite successfully developing a car he has previously called the best on the grid."

Formula1.com & Autosport.
The first quote I remember from Alonso. He states that they have the best chassis of the field during qualifying in Mexico. The qualification of the statement is important because it implies, not the best chassis of the season or even the GP weekend.

The 2nd I don't remember, but I'm guessing Alonso again regarding Mexico.

The 3rd quotes Alonso saying the season was "very bad", the writer then refers back to what is probably the 1st quote.

So in summary, during one session of 100 sessions (3 practice, 1 qualifying and a race x 20GPs) did anyone from McLaren state that they had the best chassis.

NathanOlder

So Mclaren did indeed say they had the best chassis on the grid, theres no 2 ways about it, its what they said.

If Alonso said it about qualifying and not about the race, that'll be down to the fact it was probably said on a saturday afternoon.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Nicktendo86
Nicktendo86

NathanOlder wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 15:49
So Mclaren did indeed say they had the best chassis on the grid, theres no 2 ways about it, its what they said.

If Alonso said it about qualifying and not about the race, that'll be down to the fact it was probably said on a saturday afternoon.
I said I know Alonso has made some brave claims, I asked for quotes from McLaren as you keep repeating that McLaren keep boasting that they have the best chassis. I don't think, with all due respect, you can substantiate that.