2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This Wehrlein Saga is starting to get weird.....
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316

There was originally, around the launch of the car, a line that said something like "we'll use the 2016 PU to begin with" - which some interpreted as meaning there's a possibility they could switch to the 2017 unit during the season.

I just wonder if somehow putting Giovanazzi in the car is helping them with this? Probably requires a fair bit of work to make the switch - since there's likely to have been some changes in the architecture - but is there a better way for Sauber to add a big chunk of performance? And if by running what is actually quite a competitive driver it saves them several million on the deal, why not?

Manoah2u

Thunders wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 07:36
This Wehrlein Saga is starting to get weird.....
yeah. i find it rather hard to believe the injury from that accident was so severe that he STILL
isn't able to compete. i mean compare Kimi's back injury and Alonso's gigantic crash, and look at Wehrlein's hit.
it wasn't 'nothing' but it did not look like what is claimed that he cant still drive yet because of the aftermath.

i think we won't see Wehrlein racing @ Sauber and quite frankly i think Wehrlein's F1 career has already ended.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ME4ME

If Wehrlein hasn't been able to do any training from December to March, than that would have deteriorated his fitness a lot. Takes time to regain that. Meanwhile all other drivers including Gio have been training basically all the time.

f1316

Maybe it's just me and everyone else said this ages ago - but do we think part of the reason Sauber has a 2016 PU is because Ferrari didn't want a Mercedes junior having a look at its 2017 unit?

Just following on from my previous thought, I wonder if Sauber get a new one if they get rid of the 'spy' and bring in the home grown guy.

hazelnut120

f1316 wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 18:55
Maybe it's just me and everyone else said this ages ago - but do we think part of the reason Sauber has a 2016 PU is because Ferrari didn't want a Mercedes junior having a look at its 2017 unit?

Just following on from my previous thought, I wonder if Sauber get a new one if they get rid of the 'spy' and bring in the home grown guy.
They decided to use 2016 engines in early October. Even if they were in talks with Mercedes at that point, that is no reason to make a decision on engines when they haven't signed the contract yet

hazelnut120

ME4ME wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 11:17
If Wehrlein hasn't been able to do any training from December to March, than that would have deteriorated his fitness a lot. Takes time to regain that. Meanwhile all other drivers including Gio have been training basically all the time.
His accident was in the 3rd week of January. Surely he would have trained up until that point. According to Wehrlein he missed few weeks of training not months. The odd thing is he said that he was completely recovered, there was no pain(after testing) and that he had no concerns about his fitness till Friday. His reason now for skipping the Chinese GP is that he wants to 100% fit.

FW17

I think Wolff withheld payments as Saubers are too slow and there is no point racing Ericson.

hazelnut120

It would leave their driver without a drive and no alternatives. Breaking a contract is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

cramr

FW17 wrote:
05 Apr 2017, 17:40
I think Wolff withheld payments as Saubers are too slow and there is no point racing Ericson.
Then, this would have been valid also last year with Manor, no?

FW17

Last year was a year of learning and manor was not bad as it turned out.

What is the point of not racing anyone in their second year. The car is just too slow.

Wolff is claiming medical grounds for non execution of the contract, and hoping Ferrari coming in with money.

Pascal career is effectively over, either rat out Wolff or take a sim driver with the works team.

Enstone

Sauber made a good choice, Wehrlein without knowing has much the car as ericsson has achieved some strong qualifications today !

This guy has a real potential, to be as close as the SFI with an old PU means chassis/aero are not that bad on this Sauber, but you need a strong driver behind the wheel to prove it !

continuum16

I think chassis-wise they have closed their deficit to the midfield. Still at the back, but much much closer than before. With a 2017 PU I think they'd be about where Haas was most of last year, flirting with the points most races.

Also they're ahead of McLaren in WCC, maybe they should make it their goal to beat them. :D
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

sauberfan

Sauber close to sealing Honda engines for 2018 Formula 1 season

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... honda-deal

ME4ME

The good: The team will surely be more financially secure in the forseeable future.
The bad: They will likely continue to be the worst team on the grid.

Obviously someone has to be last, but this teams continues to make uninspiring decisions. There can only be one outcome of having the weakest driver line-up and the weakest power unit.

2020 (and hopefully more funds) cannot come soon enough.