2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Don't know if Pascal is as pleased as Sauber is. He speculated with a Merc drive, Ocon to FIF1.....
https://twitter.com/SauberF1Team/status ... 6245525504
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

nevill3

Wait until next month when Sauber announce two more drivers for the coming season :lol: , or maybe they will have two engine suppliers this year instead :wink: after all if Mercedes can offer a better deal than Ferrari, Sauber could just accidentally sign for the better deal and sort the ensuing mess out at the first GP like they did before :twisted:
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

nokivasara

They might need both engines on the car to catch the teams ahead!

Jolle

a return to Sauber Mercedes for 2018?

KeiKo403

2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

Quote taken from the Manor 17 Team topic but has relevance here....
Jolle wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Jolle wrote:Manor's contracts and licence could still be worth a bit of money. In 2017 you'll have to do a very very bad job to get beaten by Sauber, which is running on a small budget and a '16 ferrari engine while every other team have completely renewed PU's with the lift of the token system. The downside of the development of Honda and Renault is that points are going to get more and more difficult the coming years with 10 "works" cars on track. Even Williams, FI, STR and Haas will struggle.
The 2017 completely redesigned PUs reliability will be a question mark. The 2016 Ferrari PU was no slouch. So the real question is does the focus on the chassis make Sauber faster than if it had less focus on the chassis and have more power but less reliability?

If I was Sauber and looking for ways to save money.... I would have done the same.
A brand new design that has no limit in development against a patched up design from three/four years ago? I think with the disappearance of Manor, the last two cars on the grid are set already
That's correct but as Sauber have scored points every season for a long time then they'll still get prize money no matter what for finishing 10th won't they? They just need to get through the season spending the least amount of money as possible.

Question is, if Merc/RBR/Ferrari can go some 3-4seconds a lap faster will Sauber be able to produce a car capable of qualifying within the 107% time with a year old PU in the back?

bauc

KeiKo403 wrote:Quote taken from the Manor 17 Team topic but has relevance here....
Jolle wrote:
diffuser wrote:
The 2017 completely redesigned PUs reliability will be a question mark. The 2016 Ferrari PU was no slouch. So the real question is does the focus on the chassis make Sauber faster than if it had less focus on the chassis and have more power but less reliability?

If I was Sauber and looking for ways to save money.... I would have done the same.
A brand new design that has no limit in development against a patched up design from three/four years ago? I think with the disappearance of Manor, the last two cars on the grid are set already
That's correct but as Sauber have scored points every season for a long time then they'll still get prize money no matter what for finishing 10th won't they? They just need to get through the season spending the least amount of money as possible.

Question is, if Merc/RBR/Ferrari can go some 3-4seconds a lap faster will Sauber be able to produce a car capable of qualifying within the 107% time with a year old PU in the back?
Well yes, since the most time found with the new regulations is in the corners due to the increased downforce levels and the tyre size. The new cars actually are expected to be slower on the straights due to the same changes in the regulations, so a year old PU will hurt them in terms of efficiency and ultimate power but not to that extent to push them out of the 107% rule.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

Depends on the straight.

More DF and fatter rear tires will allow quicker acceleration and braking. That get the car to a top speed sooner and allow it to stay there longer. Obviously the longer the straight, the more time the higher top speed has to catch-up. Straights are sometimes fed from slight bends which last year weren't taken flat out and will be this year. My point is, you can say the top speed maybe lower, not sure you can say the cars will be slower down straights.

bauc

diffuser wrote:Depends on the straight.

More DF and fatter rear tires will allow quicker acceleration and braking. That get the car to a top speed sooner and allow it to stay there longer. Obviously the longer the straight, the more time the higher top speed has to catch-up. Straights are sometimes fed from slight bends which last year weren't taken flat out and will be this year. My point is, you can say the top speed maybe lower, not sure you can say the cars will be slower down straights.
Well yes, I meant lower top speed at the straights but over all faster lap times.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

skoop

I've posted this in the Honda engine thread as well:
According to AMuS Sauber will switch to Honda from 2018 on:
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48073.html

Jolle

bauc wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:Quote taken from the Manor 17 Team topic but has relevance here....
Jolle wrote:

Well yes, since the most time found with the new regulations is in the corners due to the increased downforce levels and the tyre size. The new cars actually are expected to be slower on the straights due to the same changes in the regulations, so a year old PU will hurt them in terms of efficiency and ultimate power but not to that extent to push them out of the 107% rule.
Only if Sauber did a really really bad bad job (mounting the rear wing upside down) will put them outside the 107 rule. Even the '15 Manor, which was a '14 car with questionable drivers and some safety modifications and a year old PU had no problems.

Manoah2u

Sauber just announced they'll stop with Ferrari and want to partner HONDA as of 2018
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sniffit

got a link?

shotzski

Dunno if this is a credible source but, here it is anyway:

https://thejudge13.com/2017/01/18/saube ... s-in-2018/

Sniffit

shotzski wrote:Dunno if this is a credible source but, here it is anyway:

https://thejudge13.com/2017/01/18/saube ... s-in-2018/
Thanks, but it only reiterates that nothing is confirmed, however likely it might be.

HpoGT

Hey there. This lecture was just posted on Reddit by the SauberF1 media team. It's a great lecture (1h20m) from Willem Toet about F1 team (staffing, resources), aero regulations (coanda exhaust, F-duct) and other great pieces of insight into the world of F1 and Sauber in particular. I thought I'd post it here since Willem Toet came from Sauber and he discusses the Sauber team and aero department during his time. This might be a little off topic but here goes!