2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wesley123

Re: 2017 Sauber F1 Team - Ferrari

RS200E wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 23:52
You clearly have an agenda on this. Honda fan by any chance?
Obviously, that's the only possible explanation why anyone would disagree with you on this!
Contrary to what blind faith you put in Honda, the Sauber team has a realistic view of what Honda can deliver in 2018.
Just because my opinion is different does not mean my view is any more or less realistic. Sure, you can call it 'blind faith', but the same works for the Ferrari deal. Unless your aim and expectations would be that Sauber would stay on the back of the grid, but I really hope that Sauber has different goals.
You're the one acting like you have a crystal ball, arguing against the decision of an established F1 team
Good point, if you ignore that this same team first made a deal with Honda.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Big Mangalhit

I kinda disagree with the idea that honda would give more support. I think they are better off with Ferrari which understands the engine a lot better and probably will give them a good engine already optimized and understood. Probably not with the same development of the factory team in maps and modes but still good enough to be somewhat competitive of the chassis is there.
If they had honda they would probably serve has guinea pigs to test mileage, new maps, new components probably get way more penalties to test upgrades. They would have to do all that McLaren doesn't really want to do

Stormy

Sniffit wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 06:42
Stormy wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 01:31
To be honest, if Ferrari didn't offer them a current PU, i would've understand if they went with Honda. But Ferrari obviously needs them as a customer so they offered Sauber a deal they can't refuse.
To be fair I think it's the opposite, I wouldn't be surprised if Sauber gave Ferrari an offer they couldn't refuse in other words, a big bag of gold.
Doubt it. They are in pretty big financial problems. Honda offered them free engines and technical support. Ferrari offered them the same because they need their vote when it comes to the upcoming 2021 engine regulations.

RS200E

wesley123 wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 11:38
RS200E wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 23:52
You clearly have an agenda on this. Honda fan by any chance?
Obviously, that's the only possible explanation why anyone would disagree with you on this!
Contrary to what blind faith you put in Honda, the Sauber team has a realistic view of what Honda can deliver in 2018.
Just because my opinion is different does not mean my view is any more or less realistic. Sure, you can call it 'blind faith', but the same works for the Ferrari deal. Unless your aim and expectations would be that Sauber would stay on the back of the grid, but I really hope that Sauber has different goals.
You're the one acting like you have a crystal ball, arguing against the decision of an established F1 team
Good point, if you ignore that this same team first made a deal with Honda.
Now you're just trolling.

And TLDR.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

Zynerji

Is Sauber buying all of the listed parts (like Haas) from Ferrari next year?

With the points haul of Haas over the last 2 years, it would almost be silly not to...

Phil

Why is Wesley123 being treated with that much hostility? :? I find the points he is making on-point and relevant.

I'd even go on to say that precisely this added support by an engine manufacturer who wishes to improve their image and their performance would go the extra length to ensure a good working relationship and also to make absolutely sure that their engine, however lacking it may be, is used in the best way possible.

wesley123 wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 23:19
Honda would really benefit from the mileage they get, and Sauber would benefit from the technical support they'd get
As I said above, I very much agree with this. On the other hand though, there's a very big reason IMO that goes against that at the same time - that being - Honda is still fighting its way through development of its power-unit and still in search of making those gains that will put them in the same ballpark as the other manufacturers.

They haven't found it, yet. Which basically means that Honda is making extensive changes to its PU, probably even the layout of it on a regular basis. Yet one of the reasons Sauber went with the 2016 PU unit - as you pointed out yourself - was for the sake of continuity (and enabling themselves to sign with another engine manufacturer for 2018 and beyond). Going with Honda, assuming they'd still be in search of the perfect engine recipe in 2018, might just be a contradiction to that.

McLaren has the funds, the ability and the resources to burden that. Sauber arguably does not. They can't afford an even worse year and be also burdened by engine penalties while Honda treats them as another mule and testing ground (as a result of the lack of testing that is allowed in F1).

The other point is - which I am not sure how relevant it still is - but apparently Honda has the smallest and lightest power-unit (I think this was posted in the Honda PU or McLaren-Team topic or maybe I read it on AMuS). This is very much in line with the size-zero concept that they were pursuing. The idea behind this concept was to gain an advantage through better aero efficiency (better packaging requirements that lead to a tighter car) and the lighter unit resulting in more freedom for either other things or more moveable ballast, yet the compromise might be an engine that may obviously trade-off some of that for performance. Now obviously, the concept doesn't work if the deficit is too big, but on some level, the engineers of both McLaren and Honda believed in it and that this design philosophy could prove to be competitive.

I guess the point here being is that the Honda-PU is IMO a very specific tailored engine to a very specific car - the McLaren car. It was the entire point of why McLaren pursued a partnership with Honda - because they wanted that kind of unique engine that would put them at almost the same level as both Ferrari and Mercedes as works-teams. How would such a tailored engine work on a car for a team with a fraction of the budget and resources? Would any team with a less sophisticated car be able to benefit from that kind of engine?

IMO - the less efficient your car is, the more you are reliant on a more traditional approach of having an engine that may be optimized towards power. Arguably, Williams benefited directly off this in 2014 when their quite simple car managed to outperform cars with inferior engines.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sniffit

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 04:40

With the points haul of Haas over the last 2 years, it would almost be silly not to...
You can't compare the two, HAAS did not have and still don't have the infrastructure or the organizational know how that Sauber do. It is always better to produce as much as possible inhouse since it gives you greater freedom and greater control.

Zynerji

Sniffit wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 11:01
Zynerji wrote:

You can't compare the two, HAAS did not have and still don't have the infrastructure or the organizational know how that Sauber do. It is always better to produce as much as possible inhouse since it gives you greater freedom and greater control.
While I understand that, it also allows them to go down dead end paths.

Working backwards from proven parts made by the wealthiest team in F1 would be a huge improvement over their current situation.

Why develop suspension parts or gear boxes when you can buy them off the shelf with far more R&D investment than you can put in yourself?

The Haas model is paying off HUGE, amd their budget is lower than Sauber.

It would be silly to continue spending more for way less points.

Sniffit

Zynerji wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 15:58
Sniffit wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 11:01
Zynerji wrote:

While I understand that, it also allows them to go down dead end paths.

Working backwards from proven parts made by the wealthiest team in F1 would be a huge improvement over their current situation.

Why develop suspension parts or gear boxes when you can buy them off the shelf with far more R&D investment than you can put in yourself?

The Haas model is paying off HUGE, amd their budget is lower than Sauber.

It would be silly to continue spending more for way less points.
One huge problem is that you can not controll the process. It has been touched upon by both HAAS and FI that it causes issues not to do things in-house, for HAAS more so then FI.
FI stated that their outsourcing of it's carbon fiber work means that they have pretty long lead times, they have to plan every updated very carefully and if there's a hickup it will take time to get production of a fix in place.
While if you have it in-house you can quickly (at least in theory) churn out parts as you don't have to compete for production capacity with other customers. Also using another teams gearbox for instance will force you to mount your rear suspension in the same way, whether that fits your car or not.

HAAS on the other hand has other issues, namely that they have to wait for Ferrari to finilize a part before they get any idea of how it looks, and once they get it they will have to work to incorporate that part into their design. You loose alot of synergy that a wholy inhouse development gives you.

FI have said that they are slowly expanding their operation to make more and more in-house, because it is so much more efficient (from a race team pov, not an economical one) so while they have been extremely successful with outsourcing they are trying to bring as much as possible in-house.
You also have to remember that niether FI or HAAS started out with the infrastructure that Sauber has today, if they can just utilise it that will huge and will bring cost savings (empty real estate is a money pit even worse then F1).

TL;DR: In the end it's down to what the new owners want.

godlameroso

Does Sauber still rent out their wind tunnel?
Saishū kōnā

Sniffit

godlameroso wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:12
Does Sauber still rent out their wind tunnel?
As of last year they did, mainly to Audi, who remains their largest customer, even after quitting le mans, as I understand it.

godlameroso

DTM, road cars?
Saishū kōnā

Sniffit

IIRC both.

Zynerji

That makes no sense for what I said.

Of course I would expect to move design and chassis building in house, but when every team says that you can't compete with the works integration, I would expect buying as many pre existing components as possible to define the extents would lead to the best starting point for the chassis. Degree of freedom and chassis torsional stiffness requirements as well as a known weight distribution should mechanically give you effectively a works base, which should benefit from engine maps of the works team.

No, a junior team with in house production facilities can simply allow you to start with a near works base, and focus the redundant people onto aero.

It's a win- win, and being "shackled" with young talent that Ferrari hand picks and grooms is only a bonus. No more pay drivers with strings. Just a school, like Toro Rosso.

marmer

If you wanted to have a Ferrari b team Haas or sauber will need to be called Alfa Romeo or any of the other brands they own. Perhaps it could just be a sponsor deal to rename the team along with engines.
Just on sauber trying to be the new Haas some of the loop holes Haas used have been closed now.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk