2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

So what is going on. Not enough downforce for the fast corners and to cold to switch on the tyres? Or are we seeing a highend under/backside designed by RBT combined with a average aero package by Torro Rosso?

techman
techman

Tr chassis is still a developing. its not redbull. it was already was slower last year . so it might take a bit of time

Singabule
Singabule

They cannot switch on the tyres in this track, probably low temperature and stop n go nature. They cant get US working properly. RIC also have difficulty, but RBR can solve it overnight

loner

they did it on purpose to humiliate Honda ex partner on the long strait since it was what they used to slat Honda for :mrgreen:
seriously though i didn't expect such weak qualy something don't add up
para bellum.

loner

Singabule wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 11:45
They cannot switch on the tyres in this track, probably low temperature and stop n go nature. They cant get US working properly. RIC also have difficulty, but RBR can solve it overnight
in FP they had good deg
para bellum.

techman
techman

i checked what gasly had to say that the car felt competitve on friday where he finished 11th but, they changed the setup overnight and basically he said it felt uncompetitive after that. looks like a terrible setup issue.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I think we saw it in 2015 and 16 also. The chassis mechanical grip is superb, great on slow corners and accelerating out of them. Aero efficiency was holding them back in tracks like Silverstone, Budapest and Spa.

Marti_EF3

It can't be perfect every race. Race pace looked good, so points are still possible. For next race, upgrades and improve on car setup and all will be good. Renault are suffering with reliability, so I think they will downgrade again the PU...

McMika98
McMika98

They seem to have gone for race setup. It was around 16C today with wind and very low track temps. Tomorrow it will be sunny and dry with little wind. Degs were low on US for Toro Rosso, should be able to get 25-30 laps.
Hope they start on softs, good launch from clean side should help gain early spots. Expecting 6 cars to pit around lap 15. S-US-US for Gasly and maybe S-M or S-US for Harltey. Points should be possible

etusch

I also expect a better race ( not as much as bahrain but better from both )

GhostF1
GhostF1

I also remember Honda said colder than 18-20 Celsius, they don't have optimised maplings for the PU as that's an unusual occurrence. So they run at a less optimised setup for that level of temperature. In the interest of reliability they're refrain from running more intense maps based off temperature.

Marti_EF3

A bit offtopic from China race...

What are suposed STR to bring to Baku update?? A big one? Diffuser, sidepods, front wing... Or is not known at the moment

techman
techman

A bit offtopic from China race...

What are suposed STR to bring to Baku update?? A big one? Diffuser, sidepods, front wing... Or is not known at the moment
what i heard its a big update. i a funny feeling sidepod turning vanes will be modified. TR still using old ones from last year

techman
techman

honestly not too unhappy, as i kown bottom 4 in the top 10 will come into pits before 10 laps. if our drivers can stay close to them and TR tyre degradation is very good they can keep going for a very long first stint maybe 25 laps in soft and the rest in medium