2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sayeman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Revs84 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 13:35
techman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:42
not the best result but however if you compare this to melbourne. it seem rain in practice and they get their setup wrong but bahrain all sessions were hot and they got their setup spot on. so iam bit dissapointed but hopefully there is no wet sessions in baku and we should be ok. with the new upgrade coming that will be a bonus.hartly sorry no race pace , he should be replaced.
Dude, we get your point lol First it was McLaren's draggy chassis comment, then it was the Red Bull mid-season switch to Honda and now it's the let's kick Hartley out comment :lol:

Give him a break and some time - He'll get there... and if he doesn't he'll get replaced don't worry. There's just no need to say it like 10 times a day :wink:
I got a free month of Autosport plus. Been reading some of the premium articles. One of them talked about how Mclaren was doing the "aero politics" last year, running monkey seats in Monza, increasing the corner speed and slowing the car down on the straights to heap more pressure on Honda. So the draggy chassis comment has merit. Even this year, Mclaren is the slowest of the Renault cars.

Today I saw Gasly and Sirotkin having kinda like a drag race after the restart and to my surprise, Gasly didn't get left behind, although he lost the place later. Ricciardo didn't even need DRS to pass a Raikkonen today. Both Honda and Renault has closed up a lot.

Last year the GPS data told us that Honda was 11.1% behind Merc on power. Wonder what that percentage is this year.
Never Give up.

Ground Effect

Sayeman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:11
Revs84 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 13:35
techman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:42
not the best result but however if you compare this to melbourne. it seem rain in practice and they get their setup wrong but bahrain all sessions were hot and they got their setup spot on. so iam bit dissapointed but hopefully there is no wet sessions in baku and we should be ok. with the new upgrade coming that will be a bonus.hartly sorry no race pace , he should be replaced.
Dude, we get your point lol First it was McLaren's draggy chassis comment, then it was the Red Bull mid-season switch to Honda and now it's the let's kick Hartley out comment :lol:

Give him a break and some time - He'll get there... and if he doesn't he'll get replaced don't worry. There's just no need to say it like 10 times a day :wink:
I got a free month of Autosport plus. Been reading some of the premium articles. One of them talked about how Mclaren was doing the "aero politics" last year, running monkey seats in Monza, increasing the corner speed and slowing the car down on the straights to heap more pressure on Honda. So the draggy chassis comment has merit. Even this year, Mclaren is the slowest of the Renault cars.

Today I saw Gasly and Sirotkin having kinda like a drag race after the restart and to my surprise, Gasly didn't get left behind, although he lost the place later. Ricciardo didn't even need DRS to pass a Raikkonen today. Both Honda and Renault has closed up a lot.

Last year the GPS data told us that Honda was 11.1% behind Merc on power. Wonder what that percentage is this year.
I think you're missing the point. It's not whether his remarks are accurate, they are, there's a lot of truth and fact in the draggy Mclaren story and Hartley under performing. The issue is the repetitive nature of the posts from him. Almost every post from him (recently) ends or begins with Hartley should be replaced. His point has long being noted, so move on to something else. Repeating over and over again won't make it happen sooner, or at all for that matter.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

sn809

McMika98 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:53
The minute i saw Hartley on US, it started to feel like they have screwed up the strategy and the start Brendon had was just awful, he would have been overtaken by Gasly had he not blocked him. The whole startegy went out of window after the awful start. Following the Saubers were always going to be tricky. The pace was just awful, they need to understand the tyres and the working range.
The dive was just not necessary, they would have passed Ericsson and if they went to the end could have some running on free air. Baku will be good hopefully with constant high temps but with these two rookies its a tough ask. I hope Honda demand that Button who is signed with Mugen is given Hartleys drive at some point. Similar height so not much change needed.
Yes Button would be great as development driver although I think hehas had enough of F1. He is enjoying Jp racing at the moment. The NSX is great car.

Thunder18

:D
redmaxver wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 14:15
Thunder18 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 13:54
Redbull team crash (TR), redbull driver calls for safety car on radio (Sainz), Redbull wins the race due to redbull incidents, coincidence??
lol I hope you're joking?

Thunder18

loner wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 14:37
Marti_EF3 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:32
The major issue here was they fu**ed up with the Car Setup, Honda seems to be at least reliable and not so far behind Renault. This GP the fault was the Team not doing a right setup, because they changed it between FP2 and FP3, and there was no time to revert it for Qualifing. So I hope they learn from this mistakes and do better next race
i have to admit it STR performing well is something tempting for me , but RBR is the target, as far as we can tell the PU is up there and improving as well .. Mercedes fans can't be angry for FI and Williams not top 3 materials.
you can't finish P4 on merit with the midfield in Bahrain without having a proper PU whatsoever.
P4 based on retirements from the RBR and Raikonnen, so 7th being best of the rest on merit on the day. We knew TR was gonna suffer here due to the sweeping nature of the track, it doesn't suit the aero package.

etusch

As ham said every car works different in different tracks but best cars works everywhere good enough. It looks like Toro Rosso choose tracks very much. Best of the rest at Bahrain and here it is not good (I could watch only last 10 laps of the race).
According to me Hartley must not be replaced. This is a new partnership with new drivers and a manufacturer starting to find itself. Watching how they will develop during season is very good. I like to see this. I was a bit sad for Melbourne because of retirement but not here. I like to watch races more than the times Honda Mclaren partnership.

Big Tea

A slice of reality for them. I hope it does good rather than disheartens them. Red Bull/Honda have tasted success lets hope they liked it enough to stump up cash for another run at it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

sn809 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:55
McMika98 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:53
The minute i saw Hartley on US, it started to feel like they have screwed up the strategy and the start Brendon had was just awful, he would have been overtaken by Gasly had he not blocked him. The whole startegy went out of window after the awful start. Following the Saubers were always going to be tricky. The pace was just awful, they need to understand the tyres and the working range.
The dive was just not necessary, they would have passed Ericsson and if they went to the end could have some running on free air. Baku will be good hopefully with constant high temps but with these two rookies its a tough ask. I hope Honda demand that Button who is signed with Mugen is given Hartleys drive at some point. Similar height so not much change needed.
Yes Button would be great as development driver although I think hehas had enough of F1. He is enjoying Jp racing at the moment. The NSX is great car.
Not a Red Bull or Honda driver, but Di Resta is hanging around the paddock looking for a drive. If they need a standin they could do a lot worse.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect

I think prior to the weekend, it was predicted STR would struggle with this track characteristics. But it started positively, but from FP3, the weekend seemed to be going away from them. The race was disappointing, but with updates expected in Baku, let's hope they work well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

loner

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:22
I think prior to the weekend, it was predicted STR would struggle with this track characteristics. But it started positively, but from FP3, the weekend seemed to be going away from them. The race was disappointing, but with updates expected in Baku, let's hope they work well.
yeah if they were 11,12 in fp2 and they already know the circuit layout not good for them what made JK change the setup!! its not like they were going to be any faster , i wonder what Baku update will be and which circuit can make them best of the rest again if any...
para bellum.

NL_Fer

No sweeping turns in Baku, no DF needed. Torro Rosso will do fine.

amho

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:22
Gasly said that in FP2 front grip was weak so they changed the setup to address the issue but in fp3 but rear grip got weak.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

amho

etusch wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:14
As ham said every car works different in different tracks but best cars works everywhere good enough. It looks like Toro Rosso choose tracks very much. Best of the rest at Bahrain and here it is not good (I could watch only last 10 laps of the race).
According to me Hartley must not be replaced. This is a new partnership with new drivers and a manufacturer starting to find itself. Watching how they will develop during season is very good. I like to see this. I was a bit sad for Melbourne because of retirement but not here. I like to watch races more than the times Honda Mclaren partnership.
Torro rosso drivers are inexperienced they can't give correct direction to setup the car.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

etusch

amho wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:58
etusch wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:14
Torro rosso drivers are inexperienced they can't give correct direction to setup the car.
They will be more experienced during season and learn many about what to do. They are not experienced but team has experience. They will guide them for it. They were good at Bahrain. Maybe they would be lot better with experienced drivers. I don't know. We will see them when season come to end.

etusch

I think they will change gb without penalty by pulling car from the race
Franz Tost (Team Principal) ...At the end of the race, we detected an issue on the gearbox of Brendon's car and therefore we had to retire. Hopefully we can find the reason for this bad performance and be more competitive in Baku."