2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
!Technical

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

I'm thinking there will be much more competition in Baku that TR will be up against. Points will be difficult. A certain white and blue team has been performing pretty poorly in the first three races, but I remember how well they did in Baku (last year), even getting onto the podium.

loner

!Technical wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 16:18
I'm thinking there will be much more competition in Baku that TR will be up against. Points will be difficult. A certain white and blue team has been performing pretty poorly in the first three races, but I remember how well they did in Baku (last year), even getting onto the podium.
IMHO Honda enthusiasts are graced in this partnership with STR till they sign the contract with RBR
if STR perform bad all they need to worry about is the valuation of functionality of the powerunit
if STR perform well thats a plus , thats realy grace :mrgreen:
para bellum.

HPD

"I think the result in China came from the Toro Rosso Honda package," Honda F1 technical direct Toyoharu Tanabe told RACER. "I can't tell if it's exactly from the chassis side or the power unit side.

"So we need to understand and we need to investigate the cause. We need to analyze what happened in China and also what happened in Bahrain, why it happened in China and why it happened in Bahrain, and then I think we will make a plan for the future."

"So far we haven't seen any issues on the data. We will send the hardware back to [Honda headquarters] Sakura for maintenance and we will then have a look at the hardware itself. So from the data side there are no concerns. So at the moment we are happy with the updated MGU-H."

"One ICE has done three races, one ICE has done two races and then the MGU-H has done two races, so we still have only done two or three races with the components. The current situation means we don't worry about reliability very much but it is easy to have an unexpected situation, so we need to be careful and can't be too happy.

"I am very sorry Renault had a failure. There's a possibility we will have the same thing in the future – you just don't know – but the regulations are the regulations and we have to follow them. It is difficult, but all manufacturers are trying to follow those regulations for reliability."

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/148766-hon ... toro-rosso

dren

!Technical wrote:
The Williams is no longer the slippery car they have had the last several years. Stroll also had a bit of luck on his side last year to finish where he did. I don't expect Williams to improve much over China, if at all. The track should suit the TR better than China did.
Honda!

godlameroso

HPD wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 13:17
"I think the result in China came from the Toro Rosso Honda package," Honda F1 technical direct Toyoharu Tanabe told RACER. "I can't tell if it's exactly from the chassis side or the power unit side.

"So we need to understand and we need to investigate the cause. We need to analyze what happened in China and also what happened in Bahrain, why it happened in China and why it happened in Bahrain, and then I think we will make a plan for the future."

"So far we haven't seen any issues on the data. We will send the hardware back to [Honda headquarters] Sakura for maintenance and we will then have a look at the hardware itself. So from the data side there are no concerns. So at the moment we are happy with the updated MGU-H."

"One ICE has done three races, one ICE has done two races and then the MGU-H has done two races, so we still have only done two or three races with the components. The current situation means we don't worry about reliability very much but it is easy to have an unexpected situation, so we need to be careful and can't be too happy.

"I am very sorry Renault had a failure. There's a possibility we will have the same thing in the future – you just don't know – but the regulations are the regulations and we have to follow them. It is difficult, but all manufacturers are trying to follow those regulations for reliability."

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/148766-hon ... toro-rosso
I think it's more of getting an understanding of the tires, being in or out of the window can easily mean a second of lap time and likely can explain the huge disparity in performance. This is more a chassis issue than power unit issue. When the Toro Rosso gets the tires working in the right window they have good performance, and if they don't they're at the bottom.

China was cold all weekend, and they might have been caught out by the temperature change over the 3 days going from cloudy and humid to dry and cool.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

dren wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:03
!Technical wrote:
The Williams is no longer the slippery car they have had the last several years. Stroll also had a bit of luck on his side last year to finish where he did. I don't expect Williams to improve much over China, if at all. The track should suit the TR better than China did.
I agree with you on both points. I actually read an article on James Allen's blog regarding Williams and them moving away from their low downforce chassis philosophy, which was strong on certain tracks, like Baku. Paddy Lowe wants more of an all round car that can work anywhere. So far, they're still trying to understand the car, so I doubt they'll trouble STR in Baku, I'm expecting them to go well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

How much set up and tyre knowledge is 'transferable'?
Could the boss team 'lend' engineers to them for assistance in these areas?

I suppose aero is far more specific than tyres, but they would need to know the aero to transfer it to the tyres?

I think the STR team are no mugs, so not suggesting they would be any better, just maybe more experienced.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:58

I suppose aero is far more specific than tyres, but they would need to know the aero to transfer it to the tyres?

I think the STR team are no mugs, so not suggesting they would be any better, just maybe more experienced.
According to Toto Wolff, all teams are struggling with tyres to a certain extent. Remember all the compounds have changed in structure, i.e this years soft is not the same as last years soft. I think maybe each team has a compound they're strong on and a compound they're weaker on.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dren

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 19:28
Big Tea wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 18:58

According to Toto Wolff, all teams are struggling with tyres to a certain extent. Remember all the compounds have changed in structure, i.e this years soft is not the same as last years soft. I think maybe each team has a compound they're strong on and a compound they're weaker on.
Yes, I agree. Track temperature is seeming to play a part, too.
Honda!

techman

i agree too. if you look at melbourne. there were cold and rain practice sesssions and in the end they could not dial in the perfect setup for the race and qualy
bahrain all sessions were dry and race and qualy the setups were dial in properly
china cold session meant they found it hard to dial the setup right.

i am hoping a full dry session for the entire gp in baku. and with a new aero package, we could see TR back in the top 10

Big Tea

I agree with all above, but Red Bull did seem to have the jump on everyone else in China.
It may well have been luck. but I don't remember them being unlucky many times.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

gdanielwesley

techman wrote:
i agree too. if you look at melbourne. there were cold and rain practice sesssions and in the end they could not dial in the perfect setup for the race and qualy
bahrain all sessions were dry and race and qualy the setups were dial in properly
china cold session meant they found it hard to dial the setup right.

i am hoping a full dry session for the entire gp in baku. and with a new aero package, we could see TR back in the top 10
Gasley had experience in Bahrain, that must have helped them . Hartley had exp in China. Has either of them raced in Baku?

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

techman

i think it new for both this season

rscsr

techman wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 09:37
i think it new for both this season
nope, Gasly drove there 2016 in F2.

techman