2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
johnny comelately

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

John Booth has confirmed that he has left the Toro Rosso Formula 1 team.

Following the collapse of the Manor F1 outfit at the end of 2015, Booth joined the Italian squad in April 2016 as the its director of racing.

Prior to that he’d spent six years in charge at Manor, though its various guises, having entered Formula 1 with Virgin in 2010.

Booth joined Toro Rosso on a consultancy basis, which enabled him to continue working with his own team in the World Endurance Championship.

There, his team is this season stepping up into the LMP1 class, competing against Toyota with a customer Ginetta G60-LT-P1.

from - https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/04/24/bo ... oro-rosso/

godlameroso

Whichever driver can't hack it could easily be replaced by Vandoorne.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

I can see Gasly doing very well in Baku. In GP2 he started 18th and finished 2nd. Like Bahrain, he'll have a lot more confidence to brake later. If he can manage a clean race and others tangle he could be in the points.

http://en.hondaracingf1.com/races/2018/ ... ?tab=setup

ispano6

godlameroso wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 00:40
Why Vandoorne? He's McLaren protégé. Would love to see Alexander Rossi in the Honda STR. Honda would also like to see Matsushita or Fukuzumi.

Cannonballer

ispano6 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 04:58
godlameroso wrote:
Why Vandoorne? He's McLaren protégé. Would love to see Alexander Rossi in the Honda STR. Honda would also like to see Matsushita or Fukuzumi.
What incentive does Vandoorne t
have to make that switch. Given his current form in Indy, I don't think that Rossi would have any incentive to come back to F1 either.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

dren

I'd like to see Hartley have a good race. I'm expecting Gasly to be stronger with the TR in Baku. It should suit the package if they get the set-up right.
Honda!

godlameroso

ispano6 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I wonder if they would put in a Japanese driver, there are some talented ones for sure. Button's copilot is no slouch.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

dren wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 12:34
I'd like to see Hartley have a good race. I'm expecting Gasly to be stronger with the TR in Baku. It should suit the package if they get the set-up right.
I agree, Gasley seems to take good advantage of tracks he's raced on before.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

restless

Not sure if question should be here, but it seems as proper place.
Based on https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... 29656/?s=1
Elsewhere I read that FIA suspects Ferrari in using special engine modes in turns to generate downforce

And then I remembered the old discussions about weird sound of Honda engine on partial throttle - with speculations claiming Honda uses cylinder deactivation - running engine on high "optimal" RPM, but only 3cyls working
IF thats right, would/could this generate bigger airflow and thus more downforce on partial throttle?
And it will be legal, because thats how engine works, it won't be special engine mode ...
Someone with knowledge who can evaluate this possibility?

!Technical

godlameroso wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 13:10
ispano6 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I wonder if they would put in a Japanese driver, there are some talented ones for sure. Button's copilot is no slouch.
I think Fukuzumi will be the next Japanese F1 driver. He did ok in GP3, winning a few races for ART. It will be interesting to see how he goes this weekend. Although I secretly hope that Taki Inoue will make a return. :lol:

muramasa

restless wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 15:50
Not sure if question should be here, but it seems as proper place.
Based on https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia- ... 29656/?s=1
Elsewhere I read that FIA suspects Ferrari in using special engine modes in turns to generate downforce

And then I remembered the old discussions about weird sound of Honda engine on partial throttle - with speculations claiming Honda uses cylinder deactivation - running engine on high "optimal" RPM, but only 3cyls working
IF thats right, would/could this generate bigger airflow and thus more downforce on partial throttle?
And it will be legal, because thats how engine works, it won't be special engine mode ...
Someone with knowledge who can evaluate this possibility?
It's not speculation. None other than Hasegawa himself explained about it back in 2016, at Mexico GP weekend.
http://www.as-web.jp/motorsports/shots% ... C%E3%81%B5

Here's the relevant part (translation by me)

///
------- Also one question from me (photographer Mr Atsuta), when I was taking photos at the entry of a corner, I felt the sound of backfire was particularly loud from Honda engines only?
Current F1 engine is not good at lower speed range, so in such instance you often keep the throttle open bit excessively then cut fuel etc in order to adjust torque, therefore back fire gets bigger for that amount. I think other makers are doing the same too, but we are doing it in particular, more than any others.

-------- Is it about improving pickup or pedal response at lower speed range?
That's correct, you let engine take in a lot of air. Then inject fuel in there as normal/usual, then shift ignition timing, or stop some cylinders, in order to lower/control the output level. By doing that, there is excess/redundant fuel at the timing of mode shifting, which then comes out of / goes into the exhaust pipe.

-------- I remember there was not such thing at USA and Suzuka?
The basics are unchanged, but there are some fluctuations (depending on track characteristics).
///

Nothing special, just a way of controlling and maintaining torque at low rpm range. You can hear other engines are sounding same/similar too, Ferrari in particular altho not as blunt as Honda obviously, even Merc sometimes, Renault not much perhaps.

Big Tea

!Technical wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 15:55
godlameroso wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 13:10
ispano6 wrote:

I think Fukuzumi will be the next Japanese F1 driver. He did ok in GP3, winning a few races for ART. It will be interesting to see how he goes this weekend. Although I secretly hope that Taki Inoue will make a return. :lol:

Love that name for a race driver, straight out of Mike Myres " and there goes Fuku zumi". :D (I hope he does not get offended, I like him.)

There have been a few Japanese drivers that have not quite made the big time and have been capable of it. Why is this? are they not marketable? or are there other avenues opened to them once they hit a standard?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

marmer

If we are going to get any Japanese drivers I want Sato proved at indy he is still top level

Talisman

marmer wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:30
If we are going to get any Japanese drivers I want Sato proved at indy he is still top level
Yeah but at many other races he still proves he's still Sato.

RB don't have any other promising drivers to step into an STR seat if an opening comes up so I think they would go with a Honda related driver. That said, I don't think the pressure is on either Gasly or Hartley to perform or leave as there is no budding superstar waiting in the wings at the moment.

Marti_EF3

Someone noticed if there are any upgrades on the aero?? Or they will be available at Spain?