2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Nope he will be the second driver after Alonso calls it quit and give up his quest for another win.

NL_Fer

Honda has a slight edge on power in qualiy. Renault is superior in efficiency during the race.

McMika98

Hoping the ERS upgrade/development has improved the race pace for TR, got a hunch that they are quite conservative with the battery deployment maybe its still strugggling with harvesting on H.

godlameroso

Honda is pushing like mad to get more out of the ICE, the general quiet as of late is very interesting. This is year 4, now they finally have a power unit with all the bells and whistles, now it's just a matter of time before it shapes up into a top class unit. With increases in efficiency comes new strategies which can be used to increase the effectiveness of the ERS, which in turn increases overall efficiency.

Small gains in the ICE can mean big changes in the ERS, and how the ICE and ERS can work together, so in order to really benefit from these reciprocal gains one must understand the new strategies available. Now longevity is part of the equation when learning about these new strategies as well. Which means additional work to design the power unit, the parts must continually be lighter and more efficient, but more durable as well.

They're either going mad at Sakura from frustration, or they're going to bring something decent soon, a sort of calm before the storm.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u

or, they are simply just going along now and there is literally nothing to report. the engines aren't failing so nothing to report.
they're no star trek warp core either , so nothing to report. no bashing from toro rosso because it's doing it's work. nothing to report.
also toro rosso is not a top tier team, so nothing to report.

so, quite honestly, i think it's more of a case of having nothing to report, that simple.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

G'dayBruce

So nothing to report then? The vibe I'm getting is that Honda is probably going to struggle to deliver the the upgrade we're all anticipating for Canada. Either it's delayed, or simply doesn't amount to much. So kinda business as usual... If there was something good coming, I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more upbeat noise from Honda. But nothing to report equals literally that. Hope I'm wrong.

godlameroso

When you're burning the midnight oil, you don't have time to even think about social media.
Saishū kōnā

McMika98

Love a good speculation as news on upgrades is non existent. Whilst its feasible that they have nothing big to show in Canada, the dreamer inside me believes that Honda have performance on current ICE but have not released it for reliability reasons. Tanabe talked along those lines. Hopefully the preseason aggressive engines have now proven reliability on dynos and will be unleashed soon.

Big Tea

I believe they are now in a position to bring gains to the package (car/engine/driver) just by smoothing out sharp edges. Not literal sharp edges of course, I mean getting things that were done to be ale to make it to Oz slightly better matched.

So perhaps the improvements will be tiny or unnoticed, but 10 x 0.005 improvements is as good as a new wing.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

rogazilla

One thing for less talk is probably the fact there is no need to attract potential sponsors. No need to hype or PR. Just let the performance do the talking...

Talisman

Manoah2u wrote:
19 May 2018, 13:40
or, they are simply just going along now and there is literally nothing to report. the engines aren't failing so nothing to report.
they're no star trek warp core either , so nothing to report. no bashing from toro rosso because it's doing it's work. nothing to report.
also toro rosso is not a top tier team, so nothing to report.

so, quite honestly, i think it's more of a case of having nothing to report, that simple.
I agree.

In addition Hasegawa has gone and he had a tendency to be very open with the press, explaining regularly what Honda were up to. Tanabe seems less communicative with the press which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think we can read anything into how Honda are doing based on what is being said or not said at the moment.

loner

Cowell, Mercedes' High Performance Powertrains boss, believes Ferrari has an edge in qualifying but falls behind in race trim, and said Renault and Honda are also "very close behind".
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13614 ... ing-limits
para bellum.

etusch

Renault is why it is willing to gamble on an engine that is still fourth-best. Renault is yet to introduce a self-built MGU-K into its energy-recovery systems, which was meant to be working last year. And there is no guarantee that will arrive as part of its planned update for next month’s Canadian GP either.
The Red Bull-Renault alliance won four world titles from 2010-13, but has endured a fractious relationship since F1 introduced V6 turbo-hybrids. Red Bull has won just nine races since the start of 2014 as Mercedes and Ferrari have outgunned Renault in F1’s new engine era.
Honda is still seeking to improve its own energy-recovery systems, and its internal combustion engine technology. It is yet to prove it is ready to produce a race-winning engine, but there is evidence of progress in 2018.
The best McLaren-Honda result across three years was fifth place, which Toro Rosso beat on only its second start with Honda this season when Pierre Gasly finished fourth in Bahrain. Although there have been diiculties since – China and Azerbaijan, which both feature long straights, were weak races – Honda feels it has made progress in operating its energy-management systems, and it is yet to introduce performance upgrades. As with Renault, the first of Honda’s major updates is expected in Canada. This is a logical place to introduce the next power unit because it is a power-sensitive track, and the current engines will have completed six events by that point. It is also why Red Bull is delaying a verdict: it wishes to compare the two manufacturers. Promising more and delivering less is what ground the McLaren-Honda union into dust after three frustrating seasons.
That makes it crucial that Honda gives Red Bull enough tangible evidence of progress to commit for 2019 and ’20, which is what is understood to be the sought-after deal. If Honda manages that, Yamamoto is confident that it will avoid a repeat of its fractious McLaren spell: “It was diicult with McLaren, but it was also a very good experience for us. They gave us very precious experience as a partner. We are now having another experience with Toro Rosso, which is very good. If we are going to be with Red Bull, we don’t think we’ll be together like McLaren. I don’t think we’ll have the same situation as we had like McLaren.”
SCOTT MITCHELL

etusch