2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

GhostF1 wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:06
Wonder what the issue is in the PU. Thing was idling fine before shutoff. I believe this is Gasly's old Spec 1 PU though. Spec 2 isn't used in first practices
You're right
Autosport live: Honda confirms Gasly's issue was with the car's power unit, which was a high-mileage one and due to be changed overnight anyway.

Ground Effect

Gasly said gear problem, hopefully it's a Friday gearbox.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

maguetox

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:18
No is a PU related problem. Honda is reporting a high millage Friday PU.

Stef

Race Gearbox are only used on Sat-Sun. Friday is not part of the 5 races they must endure.

McMika98

Not looking good on terms of pace, they will fall behind when the rest of the field turn on the wick. Hartley, might as well get another fresh engine for he is gauranteed to be last in quali, gap to Gasly on old spec engine is just unacceptable.
Last edited by McMika98 on 06 Jul 2018, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

techman

so its the spec 1 engine. i am still not confident about these upgrades they brought. why cant they test the old package and then test in new package using one driver.

techman

Not looking good on terms of pace, they will fall behind when the rest of the field turn on the wick. Hartley, might as well get another fresh engine for he is gauranteed to be tmlast in quali, gap to Gasly on old spec engine is just unacceptable.
i agree. but i think hartley will stay , it looks like marko might change him next year, when the damage is already done this year. shame

Big Tea

techman wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:54
Not looking good on terms of pace, they will fall behind when the rest of the field turn on the wick. Hartley, might as well get another fresh engine for he is gauranteed to be tmlast in quali, gap to Gasly on old spec engine is just unacceptable.
i agree. but i think hartley will stay , it looks like marko might change him next year, when the damage is already done this year. shame
As a racer he seems a dead loss, but maybe he gives very goof feedback on the feel of things.
This is useful to know what the actual figures on the screen mean in the real world.

I really cannot see him in next year, but last month I could not see him being there now either
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McMika98

He is learning tracks as he goes along so dont think he will have anything effective to feedback. If anything he and his race engineers have been clueless on setup direction so far, they have never extracted max from any setup.

loner

according to Fabrega the Honda PU is lighter and smaller than the Renault which is something Newey like.. i wonder why STR don't shrink the engine cover area and the sides as well ?!!
para bellum.

Ground Effect

maguetox wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:33
Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:18
No is a PU related problem. Honda is reporting a high millage Friday PU.
OK, thanks for the clarification.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Noetiepoerker26

loner wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 17:13
according to Fabrega the Honda PU is lighter and smaller than the Renault which is something Newey like.. i wonder why STR don't shrink the engine cover area and the sides as well ?!!
Cooling?
Two stroke: a little more than half the power, twice as often.

bigblue

techman wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 16:52
so its the spec 1 engine. i am still not confident about these upgrades they brought. why cant they test the old package and then test in new package using one driver.
I'm guessing that they're still chasing the (admittedly small compared to last year) reliability issues with Spec 2, and so are looking after the engines while they figure things out.

techman

I'm guessing that they're still chasing the (admittedly small compared to last year) reliability issues with Spec 2, and so are looking after the engines while they figure things out.
what i meant was the aero package. i hope the compare the performance of the old aero package and new to see if there is a gain. i have my doubts

techman

He is learning tracks as he goes along so dont think he will have anything effective to feedback. If anything he and his race engineers have been clueless on setup direction so far, they have never extracted max from any setup.
i agree, i dont see any value of a driver who is over a 0.5 to second slower to his teammate. how can you provide feedback with that slow pace. it was a mistake he was brought in but now they dont know how to get rid of him.