2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

!Technical wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:10
Just putting it out there and keeping expectations low. The car is unlikely to get into Q3 this weekend and finishing in the top 10 is unlikely. Will be very happy to be proven wrong.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 18 Jul 2018, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

!Technical wrote:
Just putting it out there and keeping expectations low. The car is unlikely to get into Q3 this weekend and finishing in the top 10 is unlikely. Will be very happy to be proven wrong.
Why do you have this impression, any news of the team having low expectations?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

HPD

The interesting part of the news is this:
"From what we saw, certainly the last couple of samples – Austria and Silverstone – you can see that the performance of the engine is pretty close to where we currently are with our current supplier," said Horner.
"Of course, Toro Rosso have been running varying amounts of downforce at the past couple of venues.
"It feels like Honda are on the right trajectory. They seem to have the right goals and targets, and we're looking forward to working with them in a much more collaborative manner as we move into this new relationship."

!Technical
!Technical

Ground Effect wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 13:19
!Technical wrote:
Wasn't based on any genuine evidence and it's something that is difficult to predict unless you have all the data in front of you. I'm just managing everyone's and my own expectations before the weekend. I do hope that the team does well this weekend but who knows what will happen. At the very least let's hope for clean practice sessions for both drivers with no car or PU issues and no accidents.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

!Technical wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 15:11
Ground Effect wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 13:19
!Technical wrote:
Wasn't based on any genuine evidence and it's something that is difficult to predict unless you have all the data in front of you. I'm just managing everyone's and my own expectations before the weekend. I do hope that the team does well this weekend but who knows what will happen. At the very least let's hope for clean practice sessions for both drivers with no car or PU issues and no accidents.
I agree, a clean weekend is needed, it'll make things clearer as to where they are. No first lap incidents resulting in car damage and compromised race pace.

HPD

Picnic in F1 style

turbof1

HPD wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 17:13
Picnic in F1 style

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/I ... 178030.jpg
I wish my wife was this romantic :wink:
#AeroFrodo

HPD

turbof1 wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 17:15
HPD wrote:
Picnic in F1 style
haha I wish my wife at least not to hate racing :lol:

The middle zone is very tight.
Hartley - TURBO Rosso :!: haha

techman
techman

i had look at the times, and for my suprise hartleys lap times in race sim were faster than gasly, is gas still running the old spec unit?

Singabule
Singabule

techman wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:11
i had look at the times, and for my suprise hartleys lap times in race sim were faster than gasly, is gas still running the old spec unit?
No, same spec but they turn gasly engine done to save engine life. Hartley have 3 operational ice and 2 turbo-mguh to play with

anthonyfa18
anthonyfa18

HPD wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 16:25
turbof1 wrote:
HPD wrote:
Picnic in F1 style

https://images.scribblelive.com/2018/7/ ... e6_800.jpg
so the pu is working

nzjrs

Singabule wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:57
techman wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 17:11
No, same spec but they turn gasly engine done to save engine life. Hartley have 3 operational ice and 2 turbo-mguh to play with
Red bull have given them license to not care about "saving engines"

HPD

"We arrived at this track with a few new parts on the car; we have some performance updates we evaluated on Pierre's car to further help the performance from both the chassis and the PU side. These were evaluated throughout both sessions, and their performance is as we expected. The track started dirty in FP1 and temperatures were already high, the general grip level was low and neither driver was happy with the balance of the car. For this reason, we spent the majority of the session to try and get a better balance to make the drivers feel more comfortable in the car. Towards the end of the session, Brendon carried out some aero correlation runs and Pierre did a longer run on the Soft tyre, given that we weren't planning to run it again on Friday. We were one of the few teams who ran two soft tyres in FP1, so the time sheets weren't representative of where the real pace of the car was.

"Moving into FP2, we made quite a number of changes to both cars on the mechanical and aero side to improve both the grip and balance. The track temperature increased and that, combined with the lower working range of the Ultrasoft, meant the overheating was even trickier in FP2. However, the changes we made certainly helped and both drivers set reasonably representative lap times. As you will see from the times, it's extremely tight in the midfield, so just a few tenths would promote us within the top 10. We will work extremely hard tonight to ensure we extract every last piece of performance from the cars."

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

anthonyfa18 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:37
HPD wrote:
turbof1 wrote:

so the pu is working
Yeah I guess once the downforce comes off the straightline speed is there. It doesn't mean the Honda is suddenly uber powerful. It just means in the last races some of the straightline speed was hampered by higher downforce aero settings.

Actually, with a similarly powerful engine, the RBR is several seconds faster than the TR which Gasly says has FI eating chassis in the corners. I want to say eat that Gasly! But..hahah I am supporting this team. :lol:

TakataDomeNSX
TakataDomeNSX

TakataDomeNSX wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 06:35
anthonyfa18 wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 19:37
HPD wrote:

so the pu is working
Yeah I guess once the downforce comes off the straightline speed is there. It doesn't mean the Honda is suddenly uber powerful. It just means in the last races some of the straightline speed was hampered by higher downforce aero settings and parts, which probably need to be worked out further to find a better compromise.

Actually, with a similarly powerful engine, the RBR is several seconds faster than the TR which Gasly says has FI eating chassis in the corners. I want to say eat that Gasly! But..hahah I am supporting this team. :lol: