2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
604gtir

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

zoroastar wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 17:55
super cool wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 18:37
Most logical option for STR would be Vandoorne, he is very good of a driver and a great future prospect but unfortunately overshadowed by toxic team clockwork, toxic driving partner and the second worst car on the grid.

That doesn't say much cause STR has shown us cut throat driver's protocol over and over again. All Bourdais, Buemi and Vergne were great prospects that somehow never got the chance to drive for the top team with no apparent reason. Riccardo, Kvyat nor Max are not above and beyond better drivers than those listed above or Sainz.
how does "toxic team and toxic teammate" account for him losing 17 straight qualifying sessions? thats a silly remark. f1 is all about performing under pressure. i like Stoffel a lot. hes probably a lot better than his results show, but it has nothing to do with a toxic work environment.
Agreed with this.

Getting beat by your team mate every session has everything to do with delivering, nothing to do with fanciful media pushed 'toxicity'. The toxic stuff is from the media in 2007 when there was a huge internal battle between hamilton/alonso. It's past let it go.

If you want toxic, look at how RB and Marko ruins careers. The irony of the first poster is claiming alonso is toxic then in the next sentence talking about how good drivers careers got ruined.

techman

Vandoorne has more experience than Hartley? How so
isnt this vandornes 2nd year in f1. Nothing against hartley, but he isnt f1 material.I dont mind if the driver is from any country as long as he is quick and good enough to be in redbull senior team one day. No point wasting money on hartley if he doesnt make it to senior team.

WaikeCU

I think the problem with Red Bull, is their fairly large pool of talents and lack of seats in F1. There's basically 4 seats in F1 with two of them at Red Bull, which are fairly permanent. Which leaves the two seats at STR for young talented drivers. You choke, you lose your seat. There are plenty enough on the waiting list for that seat. If Hartley can get in F1, surely a young talented RB programme driver can do an equal or even better job.

Now with that open seat at Red Bull. What if a big name comes knocking on your door? Would you still promote one of your more experienced drivers and put a fresh talent in that STR seat?

super cool

zoroastar wrote:
super cool wrote:
Most logical option for STR would be Vandoorne, he is very good of a driver and a great future prospect but unfortunately overshadowed by toxic team clockwork, toxic driving partner and the second worst car on the grid.

That doesn't say much cause STR has shown us cut throat driver's protocol over and over again. All Bourdais, Buemi and Vergne were great prospects that somehow never got the chance to drive for the top team with no apparent reason. Riccardo, Kvyat nor Max are not above and beyond better drivers than those listed above or Sainz.
how does "toxic team and toxic teammate" account for him losing 17 straight qualifying sessions? thats a silly remark. f1 is all about performing under pressure. i like Stoffel a lot. hes probably a lot better than his results show, but it has nothing to do with a toxic work environment.
Alonso is the most skilled and experienced driver on the grid and there is no chance in hell even Riccardo could out-qualify him in the same car but that is besides the point. I think there is plenty of writing online as well as interviews how OCD is Alonso and how his work ethics kills the chemistry in the whole team (reason he was fired from Ferrari).

Being a 2nd driver for Alonso is game over for you pretty much, you can read how hard it is to work with him unless you work for him just like the whole team does right now. Vandoorne is currently not racing Alonso, he is racing for Alonso which not only means strategy but as well as mechanical setup, parts, quality of the car and so on. It's way too obvious on screen if you watch the race anyway, there is a clear line between driver's skills and then there is a clear difference on screen how Alsonso's car behaves and how Stoffel's car behaves.

makecry

super cool wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:51
zoroastar wrote:
super cool wrote:

Alonso is the most skilled and experienced driver on the grid and there is no chance in hell even Riccardo could out-qualify him in the same car but that is besides the point. I think there is plenty of writing online as well as interviews how OCD is Alonso and how his work ethics kills the chemistry in the whole team (reason he was fired from Ferrari).

Being a 2nd driver for Alonso is game over for you pretty much, you can read how hard it is to work with him unless you work for him just like the whole team does right now. Vandoorne is currently not racing Alonso, he is racing for Alonso which not only means strategy but as well as mechanical setup, parts, quality of the car and so on. It's way too obvious on screen if you watch the race anyway, there is a clear line between driver's skills and then there is a clear difference on screen how Alsonso's car behaves and how Stoffel's car behaves.
Ferrari was trying to renew Alonso's contract till 2019. It's public knowledge, look it up.

dren

WaikeCU wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 11:44
I think the problem with Red Bull, is their fairly large pool of talents and lack of seats in F1. There's basically 4 seats in F1 with two of them at Red Bull, which are fairly permanent. Which leaves the two seats at STR for young talented drivers. You choke, you lose your seat. There are plenty enough on the waiting list for that seat. If Hartley can get in F1, surely a young talented RB programme driver can do an equal or even better job.

Now with that open seat at Red Bull. What if a big name comes knocking on your door? Would you still promote one of your more experienced drivers and put a fresh talent in that STR seat?
It looks like the choice for the RB seat is Sainz or Gasly. If they think Gasly is the real deal, I see him getting promoted and Sainz off to another team. I don't know if RB has enough in the pool to fill the two STR seats. They may have to retain Hartley if they promote Gasly. My guess is they'll snag Norris on loan for letting James Key go early.
Honda!

PhillipM

Personally I feel it's either going to be Sainz or Norris on loan, nothing else really makes much sense.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 15:47
Personally I feel it's either going to be Sainz or Norris on loan, nothing else really makes much sense.
Sainz isn't going back there I think.

techman

they should give key quicky and get norris now, then TR have a chance to score more points.

rogazilla

From STR perspective, keep Key in the garden will be better for 2019. Last thing you want is for him to go now while McL is working on 19 car and for him to guide them on the right path then STR will have a competitor for the 19 season. As McL fan as well as Honda fan... I would want McL to give up Norris or SVD if they know for sure Alonso is staying and bring Key on board as soon as they can and help with 2019 car.

with the amount of races left this season and we know red bull will be using Honda, I'd just keep Hartley to continue development instead of bringing someone in and start a new learning curve and for engineer to deal with different feed back. If STR is to bring in someone now to replace Hartley, only experienced driver that can help development make sense. Bring in another youngster just to score a couple more points seems very short sighted.

M840TR

Off season fun fact: Toro Rosso means Red Bull in Italian.

PhillipM

M840TR wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 15:52
PhillipM wrote:
Well, I'd expect sainz to go into the RB seat. Norris maybe to TR to try him out.

M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 19:03
M840TR wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 15:52
PhillipM wrote:
Well, I'd expect sainz to go into the RB seat. Norris maybe to TR to try him out.
He's a much safer bet than Gasly anyway.

restless

I don't believe that Sainz will want to be nr2 ...

Big Tea

M840TR wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 16:52
Off season fun fact: Toro Rosso means Red Bull in Italian.
Bonus fact. It was originally called Red Gaur, or Krating Deng in Thai.
It means Red Gaur, which is the biggest bull in the world (2.2 mtr at the shoulder).

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0XXjmiviM)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.