2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Nova

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

Snorked wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 17:55
So a possible Vergne / Wehrlein lineup at the team next season.

Toro Rosso have offered Vergne a seat for 2019 according to veteran f1 reporter Roger Benoit - https://amp.blick.ch/sport/formel1/tran ... 42987.html

Wehrlein rumour seen on Autosport's silly season thread says:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/2080 ... try8482808
Okay just heard from a reliable person that Wehrlein is being lined up to driver for TR and Merc will release him from DTM

Would probably be as good a team as possible given what is available.

Wouter

Snorked wrote:
19 Aug 2018, 17:55
So a possible Vergne / Wehrlein lineup at the team next season.

Toro Rosso have offered Vergne a seat for 2019 according to veteran f1 reporter Roger Benoit - https://amp.blick.ch/sport/formel1/tran ... 42987.html
Would Vergne be open to an F1 comeback? After all, we've seen Red Bull recall Hartley, who'd previously
been dropped from the programme, too. What if Helmut Marko picked up the phone and offered Vergne an F1 seat
for 2019? We [WTF1] asked him that too...

"Toro Rosso I would say no, Red Bull I would say yes!"
https://twitter.com/JeanEricVergne/stat ... 1846844419
The Power of Dreams!

Mansell89

JEV was desperately unlucky with TR!

Danny Ricc and him were closely matched. Now Danny has done so well we can say that RBR made the right call but at the time I wasn’t so sure!

Would love to see JEV race next to Max for two years before they bring in Gasly (who I feel needs more experience or else the RBR team really will lack that element).

Who knows.

roon

Can RB corporate afford to spend more money on this team? Could they contest two $220m budget teams? Why not have two teams working to keep Merc and Ferrari of the podiums? It would be sort of like having two main drivers on the same team. How would team orders (constructor orders?) work in such scenario?

McMika98

Holidays over and straight back into work
@BrendonHartley has dropped by Faenza for another seat fit, ready for Spa 👌

Hmm. Have they got an updated chassis? RedBull B spec?

Ground Effect

McMika98 wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 07:04

Hartley drives for Toro Rosso, I don't get the Red Bull B spec reference.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

McMika98 wrote:

Hmm, overdone the barbecues then?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

HPD

Big Tea wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 12:28
McMika98 wrote:

Hmm, overdone the barbecues then?
lol maybe, Hartley gained weight in the holidays :lol:

restless

they Could be reading something like B spec
There were calims that they didn't have time for full integration and it will come only with latest ICE spec.
So maybe they prepare modified chassis for full&proper integration with spec3?

Wouter

From the Honda site:

TOYOHARU TANABE
TECHNICAL DIRECTOR, HONDA F1

It is said that Spa-Francorchamps is a driver’s circuit, because of its famous high-speed corners, but it is also a track where power is important. Therefore, the challenge for the PU engineers at the longest circuit on the calendar is to ensure there is enough power to be deployed, not just in the fastest sections, but also in those parts of the track where it can have the biggest effect on lap times for qualifying. That involves finding the right balance in terms of harvesting and deploying the energy from the hybrid elements. We have made progress on the energy management side throughout the first part of the season and, specifically, lessons learned at the high speed Baku track, will be applied this weekend. Apart from getting everything right on the technical side, ensuring good communication between the team and drivers when it comes to energy usage will also be very important. The weather forecast for this weekend also suggests that being ready to react very quickly to changing track conditions will play a key role.
The Power of Dreams!

WaikeCU

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 11:18
McMika98 wrote:

This one is interesting to me. Actually it was interesting to me why they picked Hartley as an STR driver last season after sacking Kvyat in the first place. To me he's not the fastest available driver at that moment. There's Buemi or even Vergne that are faster imo. However, he was a development driver for some years. Not only for Red Bull, but also for Mercedes and that might be the real (longterm) reason. With Red Bull assessing the potential of Honda becoming the PU for Red Bull in 2019 and with the limited amount of testing throughout the season, they need to guarantee the Honda option. There's a reason why Hartley is picked for the LMP1 program for Porsche. I think he has 'consistent' speed. He's fast, but not the fastest, but he's at least consistent. Add to that because of his development driver record, he's able to provide good information and feedback during (simulator) testing, which is crucial when a team like Red Bull is assessing the Honda PU for 2019.

I think at STR they are running a split program:
- Gasly showing his capabilities in his first year of F1
- Hartley's season can be seen as a season of testing, providing information and feedback on the car and the Honda PU.

Thus wouldn't be surprised that some parts on that STR are actually potential parts on the Red Bull car.

Big Tea

WaikeCU wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 11:44
Ground Effect wrote:
22 Aug 2018, 11:18
McMika98 wrote:

This one is interesting to me. Actually it was interesting to me why they picked Hartley as an STR driver last season after sacking Kvyat in the first place. To me he's not the fastest available driver at that moment. There's Buemi or even Vergne that are faster imo. However, he was a development driver for some years. Not only for Red Bull, but also for Mercedes and that might be the real (longterm) reason. With Red Bull assessing the potential of Honda becoming the PU for Red Bull in 2019 and with the limited amount of testing throughout the season, they need to guarantee the Honda option. There's a reason why Hartley is picked for the LMP1 program for Porsche. I think he has 'consistent' speed. He's fast, but not the fastest, but he's at least consistent. Add to that because of his development driver record, he's able to provide good information and feedback during (simulator) testing, which is crucial when a team like Red Bull is assessing the Honda PU for 2019.

I think at STR they are running a split program:
- Gasly showing his capabilities in his first year of F1
- Hartley's season can be seen as a season of testing, providing information and feedback on the car and the Honda PU.

Thus wouldn't be surprised that some parts on that STR are actually potential parts on the Red Bull car.
I'm sure there will be a lot of interchange from the STR into the RBR next year, even if its things they would have done differently in hindsight. Why waste a year of development? STR are not going to go running to FIA claiming RBR stole their IP. They have probably placed people at STR that would not have been released from the master team if they were not intending to shift them back with the engine. Probably the same for HOnda too
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

HPD

"Yes, we will go to the limit of Listed Parts," confirmed the Austrian. The Listed Parts are the parts that a Formula 1 racing team has to develop and produce itself in order to be considered as an independent racing stable by regulation. "I know the list inside out and we'll be sourcing as many parts as we can from the regulations from Red Bull Technology."

"The Haas is more or less a Ferrari, where a few months earlier the drawings have been released, Sauber also works very closely with Ferrari," says Tost. "You can see what developments the team has been through in the meantime."

"Why should we develop parts that we can buy from Red Bull Technology ourselves?" Asks Tost. Firstly, we will never reach this level, second, there is no need to spend the money. "

"I've already said that the collaboration between Red Bull and Toro Rosso is the way of the future, and I just think it's stupid that every single team has their own wind tunnel, their own CFD, and so on." "Look at cars on the grid 'Do not you see the big differences that you expect, in my opinion there should be five or six factory teams and five or six customer teams.'

In addition to the gearboxes, Toro Rosso will also receive the Red Bull gearbox. This is also associated with suspension parts, which are housed in the gear housing, so the spring-damper unit. The chassis geometry is set so that the wishbone are attached to the gear housing. Wishbone and wheelbearers from Red Bull come in the same way.

It will look similar at the front axle, but not yet in 2019. Because the regulations change here, it could be a bit tight on schedule. "At Red Bull, it always takes a little longer," Tost knows from experience. "Then we are afraid that this takes too long and is not ready until the first test."

A full background story on the transformation of Toro Rosso will be available in the next issue of Motorport-Magazin.com. For the research, we went to the team factory in Faenza. The next issue will be released on 06.09.2018.
https://www.motorsport-magazin.com/form ... ls-b-team/

techman

why are TR running a bigger rear wing plus those draggy halo wings. this is spa. you need less wing

McMika98

They are back to the old front wings as well. So they must be in a pickle in terms of aero. Prolly thinking qualify higher on dry and then get swamped on the straights during race. Drag wont help fuel consumption either.