2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
loner

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

The side boxes look very similar to last year, the airbox has become much larger. Does that mean the Honda engine needs more cooling than the Renault?
James Key: No, I would rather say that the cooling requirements are different because there are different ways of cooling certain circuits in the engine. The side boxes have even become a bit smaller, but they have kept their shape. We wanted to see how the air flow changes as we cool more about the airbox and less about the side boxes. But here, too, we are following a trend of the past years. The 2015 coolers (with Ferrari engine) were quite large, but it also depends a lot on how the engine looks like, whether the space above the engine is a good place to arrange cooling systems. We have managed to stay as much as possible with the shape of the Honda engine. The layout is not dissimilar to the solution we had planned for the Renault engine.
so can we expect another look but this fat sides and butt in Australia?!!
para bellum.

Revs84
Revs84

Today was Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda DAY, held in Tokyo. Full event here:

https://youtu.be/Yd_ELZaGJaU

Skip to around 1:12:50 for main event.

Unfortunately the car is the modified STR12 that has been exhibited in shows recently.

Not much insight, although I didn't watch the entire interview. Would be interesting to know what Yamamoto said.

At one point Hartley also mentioned they have have over 900hp, but he's not sure how much. I assume he was referring to Honda.

Anyway, thought I'd share :wink:

HPD

Re: Honda Power Unit

Toro Rosso: Honda offers more freedom than previous F1 engine suppliers

"It is a big difference, believe me," Tost told Autosport. "This starts with the design of the car.
"In the past, we just got a power unit and suppliers said: 'Look, this is the power unit, with the pipes, with all the aggregates, just put it into your car'.

"Now our designers are sitting together with the Honda engineers, they think 'OK, how can we create the oil tank, for example, in front of the engine, how to put it in a best possible way into the chassis.'
"Or the exhaust system. This is a big impact on the aerodynamics on the side of the car.
"Also, when you get the hot air from radiators to the back, where do you get it out?

"In former times, we just had to find the way, and now we are discussing it with Honda."
Toro Rosso and its previous supplier, Renault, found themselves at odds over the causes of poor late-season engine reliability.

Tost reckoned the new Honda partnership was "the first time" his team had this much input on the engine side, and said Toro Rosso engineers were relishing the freedoms they had in setting up the power unit.

"You should have seen the smiling faces of the engineers when they came back from dyno run with the gearbox and the power unit," Tost said.
"They said, 'Hey, we could change the mappings during the running'.
"Before, we got the mappings, everything was in a black box and we couldn't do anything. Even if we said 'maybe this is better' they said 'take it and that's it'.

"Now we have an impact. And we can say 'let's try this and this way, maybe we can get a performance advantage'.
"This helped both sides a lot, and therefore for Toro Rosso it was absolutely best to decide this cooperation with Honda."

"I am expecting a lot from next year's car," he said.
"For nearly one month we are working on next year's car, and we get more and more better ideas how to place the different parts of the power unit in the best possible way for the chassis.
"From the placement side, the thermic side, the aerodynamic side, the weight distribution.
"These are important factors for the performance of the car."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13488 ... rs-wouldnt
How many weeks did the engine change throw you back?
Key: Between one month and six weeks. The engine requires a completely different cooling. That's why we had to make changes. The gearbox and the rear suspension are new. We had to adapt the chassis. Chassis and transmission have long lead times. They also have to pass certain bench tests and crash tests. You want to have these components built and homologated around the Christmas season. These matters had to be punched through between September and December.

Many are surprised that the Honda engine was so reliable in the tests.
Key: For us the surprise is not that big. During our visits to Japan and Milton Keynes, we immediately noticed the great capacity they have. We discussed the problems. Some cleared them out already in 2017. These were positive signals for us. Honda has put great emphasis on the correlation between the test bench and the racetrack for 2018. That the results from the laboratory arrive in reality. All manufacturers had to learn that. Not just Honda. We leave you all the freedom. We tell them, "Do what you need to be happy with your engine. Do not worry about the impact on the chassis. "If that means a little more weight or volume, we'll find a way to make it better through the chassis. We just did not want to put pressure on them. The reliability fit in the tests. The drivability is good. I do not know how much better Renault has become. But we are not far from what we were used to in 2017. I think the performance differences that were flirted with last year are a little over the top.

Honda is known for its compact design. How does that help with chassis construction?
Key: In theory, we can build more radically. But the tight schedule did not allow us. The compressor sits like Mercedes at the front. That creates free space around the transmission. Also front of the engine is very tidy. The installation allows a better packaging. For aerodynamic reasons and also for reasons of weight, it would be sensible to tighten the panel even more scarce. But it is better not to take the big step until 2018. Because then we can optimize both the engine and the chassis together with Honda.

Do you make the gear yourself?
Key: The innards are much the same as at Red Bull. These parts are not listed. So why should we do the double work? The rest is from Toro Rosso. The Honda engine requires a new housing with different attachment points for the rear axle.

Can you reach the minimum weight of 733 kilos?
Key: Our calculations say yes.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... terview-1/

hasika
hasika

Q:How about the different between Super Formula and Formula One?
Gasly:The Formula One engine is very powerful,it can reach almost 950hp,while the Super Formula car only had 550hp,So the top speed will be very different.But the Super Formula car also has a lot downforce,so its a good practice before i come to Formula One.

Of course,I think what he said was not about Honda or any specific manufacturer.

HPD

"The Honda package is technically interesting," Marko told Autosport.
"The engine is very light and now the reliability is there. They speak of continuous performance improvements.
"The engine should be at Renault level by the end of this year."

"The situation varies with Renault almost monthly," said Horner. "But we are used to that. We've known them a long time.
"We have got a respect for what they do, and the most important thing for us is having the most competitive package going forward.
"We want to be in a position to continue to close the gap to the teams ahead and get onto the front foot.
"Obviously we are in a position for the first time in probably the last 10 years that we have a choice moving forwards.
"That is a position that we have not been in for a long, long time. There has either been a veto or a block or a non desire from supplier to supply."

Pushed on what Honda would have to do to convince Red Bull it was a viable solution for next year, Horner said: "I think they have made very good ground over the winter.

"We have got a front row seat to see how that product is developing and performing with Toro Rosso.
"And it will all come down to performance. We want the most performant engine in the back of the car."

Marko added that he was impressed with how Honda had worked with Toro Rosso so far and its plans for further progress.

"We are aware about the scheduled spec steps," he said.
"Collaboration between Toro Rosso and Honda is very good, because we didn't just tell the Japanese what the engine should look like.
"Immediately after signing the contract there was an exchange of technicians between Faenza, Sakura in Japan and Milton Keynes, where Honda also has a small factory. That's where the current car and the engine installation were discussed and actually done.
"And I believe this partner-like approach has contributed a great deal to the result we have now."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13491 ... -this-year

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

HPD wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 13:13
"The Honda package is technically interesting," Marko told Autosport.
"The engine is very light and now the reliability is there. They speak of continuous performance improvements.
"The engine should be at Renault level by the end of this year."

"The situation varies with Renault almost monthly," said Horner. "But we are used to that. We've known them a long time.
"We have got a respect for what they do, and the most important thing for us is having the most competitive package going forward.
"We want to be in a position to continue to close the gap to the teams ahead and get onto the front foot.
"Obviously we are in a position for the first time in probably the last 10 years that we have a choice moving forwards.
"That is a position that we have not been in for a long, long time. There has either been a veto or a block or a non desire from supplier to supply."

Pushed on what Honda would have to do to convince Red Bull it was a viable solution for next year, Horner said: "I think they have made very good ground over the winter.

"We have got a front row seat to see how that product is developing and performing with Toro Rosso.
"And it will all come down to performance. We want the most performant engine in the back of the car."

Marko added that he was impressed with how Honda had worked with Toro Rosso so far and its plans for further progress.

"We are aware about the scheduled spec steps," he said.
"Collaboration between Toro Rosso and Honda is very good, because we didn't just tell the Japanese what the engine should look like.
"Immediately after signing the contract there was an exchange of technicians between Faenza, Sakura in Japan and Milton Keynes, where Honda also has a small factory. That's where the current car and the engine installation were discussed and actually done.
"And I believe this partner-like approach has contributed a great deal to the result we have now."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13491 ... -this-year
I don't like these statements Red Bull make on Honda's behalf. They should talk less and let Honda work within their own parameters. Clearly this is all about 2019 and the possibility of supplying the senior team.
Honda have done well sorting out reliability, which actually seems to have been as far back as the end of last season, not just over the winter. I'm not against having targets, but they should keep them in-house, and probably update on progress made, not talking about the future. I believe Honda will come good, but I don't want Red Bull pressure that could deteriorate to the Renault 2015 saga.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

techman
techman

I don't like these statements Red Bull make on Honda's behalf. They should talk less and let Honda work within their own parameters. Clearly this is all about 2019 and the possibility of supplying the senior team.
Honda have done well sorting out reliability, which actually seems to have been as far back as the end of last season, not just over the winter. I'm not against having targets, but they should keep them in-house, and probably update on progress made, not talking about the future. I believe Honda will come good, but I don't want Red Bull pressure that could deteriorate to the Renault 2015 saga.
personally i would love to see a redbull honda 2019. its the iceing on the cake. we know redbull has the best effcient chassis in f1. so it would be great if it happens. torro rosso will gain to. two factory teams. great.

Wouter

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 13:39

Red Bull does not put any pressure on Honda at all. They are impressed by the way Honda works. They are looking forward to the further developments that Honda has communicated to them and are pleased with the results so far. They are just very enthusiastic and there is nothing wrong with that.
The Power of Dreams!

dren

I agree. Honda still has TR next season either way. I'm excited to see how the TR performs relative to the competition. It sounds like the car might be in the mix at the start of the race but could struggle with tires.
Honda!

techman
techman

torro rosso need to go aggressive with pit stop. 2 or 3 stops. is the way to go. fresher the tyres more performance and laptime and since torro rosso top speed is pretty decent it wil enable them to overtake the car with older tyres in the straight.

rogazilla
rogazilla

I think all Honda fans would love for RBR to pick up Honda in 2019. However I think a statement and story like this is not really pressure on Honda but rather encouragement.

As for time table, I don't think Honda should work with the sight on getting on with RBR. TR is already working on 2019 car and I think that's the time table Honda should work with. As American says 'if you build it, they will come'. Once the engine comes good, they will want it and maybe another customer team like William, FI or anyone else would want it.

dren

There's the added benefit of a works outfit. If/when Honda gets remotely close to Renault performance wise, RB will surely jump. It appears Honda is close now.
Honda!

Gerhardsa

techman wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 15:44
torro rosso need to go aggressive with pit stop. 2 or 3 stops. is the way to go. fresher the tyres more performance and laptime and since torro rosso top speed is pretty decent it wil enable them to overtake the car with older tyres in the straight.
:?:
Which can be said of any other team as well. 8)

Ai techman, you can sometimes say the funniest things, I cant help but respond.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Marko changed his mind?
First he said that Honda will be at Renault level by mid season and now by end?
Or did I miss something?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ivanlesk wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 17:48
Marko changed his mind?
First he said that Honda will be at Renault level by mid season and now by end?
Or did I miss something?
Marko talks waaaaay too much, not surprised he contradicts himself. Let him just let Honda work!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.