2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
HPD

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

It is not to defend Mr. Dietrich. But he is a businessman, not an engineer. If the rumors are true and Honda is 10HP below Renault, then they are almost the same.
I only guess..

etusch

HPD wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 19:41
It is not to defend Mr. Dietrich. But he is a businessman, not an engineer. If the rumors are true and Honda is 10HP below Renault, then they are almost the same.
I only guess..
I think gap is more than 10hp. When we think 6 kg weight advantage of Honda PU (we don't know if they have cog advantage still. If lower cog is still there too, we can say Honda is already ahead of renault as performance ) 10 hp is not make renault better than Honda.
And it is all about power you have for whole race. Power for a single lap is not so important.
Last edited by etusch on 21 Mar 2018, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

jesa7271
jesa7271

to put more comments in de mix.. this is from amus :
Erfreulich ist auch, dass Honda offenbar einen Riesenschritt gemacht hat. Dieser Toro Rosso-Honda könnte neben dem HaasF1 die zweite Überraschung der Saison werden.

techman
techman

I am not suprise that the main guy says honda is equal to renault. they have a full runnin car dyno and they can see the figures. hasegawa mentioned about being close to renault and said that their spec 4 will overtake renault. so no suprise. hope they go beyond renault at least another 20 by end of the year

loner

techman wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 22:02
I am not suprise that the main guy says honda is equal to renault. they have a full runnin car dyno and they can see the figures. hasegawa mentioned about being close to renault and said that their spec 4 will overtake renault. so no suprise. hope they go beyond renault at least another 20 by end of the year
aiming Renault becoming very boring .. there is some one cruising for wins ...
para bellum.

rogazilla
rogazilla

One step at a time, after renault you set your sight at the next target.

carisi2k

Revs84 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:45
Horner - Honda will match Renault by end of season.

Marko - Honda will match Renault by mid-season.

Mateschitz - Honda is [already] equal to Renault.

:lol:
I'm going with Mateschitz since the STR13 was faster then any Renault powered car in a straight by nearly 2km/h (333.2 STR13 vs 331.2 RB14). If as suspected by some those numbers are draft assisted then the normal top speeds show the STR13 right up their with the top Renault's although I am not sure if carlos sainz 325km/h top speed was normal or assisted.

No doubt the STR chassis isn't in the same class as the Red Bull but it should easily be able to keep pace with Renault and thrash Mclaren who look like they will be blowing up left right and centre during the first half of the year with there package.

Anyway I am so looking forward to the weekend.

makecry
makecry

carisi2k wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 00:22
Revs84 wrote:

I'm going with Mateschitz since the STR13 was faster then any Renault powered car in a straight by nearly 2km/h (333.2 STR13 vs 331.2 RB14). If as suspected by some those numbers are draft assisted then the normal top speeds show the STR13 right up their with the top Renault's although I am not sure if carlos sainz 325km/h top speed was normal or assisted.

No doubt the STR chassis isn't in the same class as the Red Bull but it should easily be able to keep pace with Renault and thrash Mclaren who look like they will be blowing up left right and centre during the first half of the year with there package.

You are going with Mateschitz coz he said what you want and like to hear.

Top speeds are not a good indicator of power output and anyway, Manor always had very high top speed, did that make the Mercedes PU in their car more powerful than the one in Mercedes cars? There are a lot of variables, most important being drag.

Peak output is not that important anyway. Even if the Honda PU had more output than Renault, it wont be of any use because the key thing is to sustain that output for the entire race or atleast have a higher average output which Honda lags significantly even on Renault.

Bisonas

carisi2k wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 00:22
Revs84 wrote:

High top speed only means something if its accompanied with fast lap times. If you see high top speed but average to slow lap times that means its setup related.(downforce-drag levels).
Since we don't know the actual lap time accomplished when that top speed was registered and taking into account that Torro Rosso didn't made any spectacular lap times, well i would suggest do not be carried away from those numbers. Don't forget that @ Barcelona its well known that highest top speeds doesn't produce the fastest lap time. You have to add some more downforce if you are going to be really fast there, thus reducing your top speed.

If you ask me, i believe Honda will equal Renault at mid or end of season, But Torro Rosso chassis will never equal Renaults or Mclarens chassis this year. That's my Opinion.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

the EDGE wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 17:01
ivanlesk wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 16:23
the EDGE wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:03

Marko said mid-season, it wa Christian Horner who said end of season, at least in the article I read in the day you posted this

I haven’t read marko saying end of season
https://www.thisisf1.com/2018/02/19/hel ... r-2019-f1/

So when i said that Marko changed his mind you thought what? That i read i same interview two things?
If you haven't read something it doesn't mean that it didn't happen.
Point well made, and noted

So have you got the link for Marko saying the end of the season too? I’d be interested in reading that so I was all caught up with the latest development
https://grandpx.news/news/honda-will-ca ... marko/amp/
Day before yesterday, but i taught that this was posted... Guess i got lost.

Marko speaks nonsense as usual, and my point is that we shouldn't trust him..

hasika
hasika

JonoNic wrote:
What exactly was the anomaly that Honda found at the last day of testing?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... 2-rcg-moto

According to some insiders,the failure they suffered in the last day of testing is not a big problem.

carisi2k

Bisonas wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 00:59

High top speed only means something if its accompanied with fast lap times. If you see high top speed but average to slow lap times that means its setup related.(downforce-drag levels).
Since we don't know the actual lap time accomplished when that top speed was registered and taking into account that Torro Rosso didn't made any spectacular lap times, well i would suggest do not be carried away from those numbers. Don't forget that @ Barcelona its well known that highest top speeds doesn't produce the fastest lap time. You have to add some more downforce if you are going to be really fast there, thus reducing your top speed.

If you ask me, i believe Honda will equal Renault at mid or end of season, But Torro Rosso chassis will never equal Renaults or Mclarens chassis this year. That's my Opinion.
The Toro rosso was not doing slow lap times. It was running relatively close to Renault and Hass in lap times who are purported to be the number 4 and 5 teams after the big 3. Similar top speeds and lap times to Renault means that dismissing Toro Rosso as running with low downforce is 100% wrong. As you said above Barcelona is a high downforce circuit and if they were running low downforce to achieve a higher top speed it would have shown in lap times.

I think Marko and Horner are both just being diplomatic towards Renault so as to not upset them in case Red Bull are in with a shout of winning the championship in 2018.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... aps-so-far

carisi2k

If you remove Fernando's anomalous lap you can see the middle order behind the big 3 pretty clearly I believe in that link I posted above.

Renault, Haas, Toro Rosso, Mclaren (using vandoorne's lap), force india, williams and sauber.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

carisi2k wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 05:29
If you remove Fernando's anomalous lap you can see the middle order behind the big 3 pretty clearly I believe in that link I posted above.

Renault, Haas, Toro Rosso, Mclaren (using vandoorne's lap), force india, williams and sauber.
Just out of curiosity, why would you remove Fernando's time, and what makes it anomalous?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

loner

makecry wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 00:26
Manor always had very high top speed,
its a Mercedes PU after all :wink:
para bellum.