2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 23:37
Nothing on that car screams high drag though, unless there's a parachute hidden inside the chassis. I agree with Goran, something fishy is going on. Either that or they just made a lateral move with the power unit and threw away 100 mill/yr.

But that doesn't make sense if they were 13kph down that means they're on average 6kph down on every full throttle section, if that were true the gap would be 1.7 not .5 seconds.
In your opinion, what do you think could be responsible for the disparity between the high top speed difference and small lap time gap?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 07:30
godlameroso wrote:
Nothing on that car screams high drag though, unless there's a parachute hidden inside the chassis. I agree with Goran, something fishy is going on. Either that or they just made a lateral move with the power unit and threw away 100 mill/yr.

But that doesn't make sense if they were 13kph down that means they're on average 6kph down on every full throttle section, if that were true the gap would be 1.7 not .5 seconds.
In your opinion, what do you think could be responsible for the disparity between the high top speed difference and small lap time gap?
*Low top speed I should say
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

McMika98

godlameroso wrote:

Nothing shouts high drag except for the one of biggest rake possible. It should be a common wisdom by now that the top speed deficiency is due to it. All phases of acceleration the drag penalty is marginal with bigger downforce gains except at for vmax scenario. In fact all Renault engine cars have continued with the high rake and were constantly on bottom of top speed chart last year. Interesting to note that Ferrari has reduced the rake on this years car.

restless

Alonso Fan wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 23:41
Weren't all Renault powered cars down in speed traps though? I recall Renault and RedBull having similar speed trap figures to mclaren
No, they were ~ 10km/h faster on traps

Just an idea:
Mc know that right now beating RB everywhere is not quite possible (first year with Renault, etc)
But they need some good news - and not consistent fight for 7-8 place, but podiums here and there
So they don't build a car that is fast everywhere, but a car which is excellent on tracks like Barcelona and Monaco.
I think that could be a smart strategy, what do you think?

GoranF1

Alonso yesterday had some bad news for regular Mclaren haters... :mrgreen:

http://soymotor.com/noticias/alonso-si- ... ssion=true
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

marvin78

And how much can one give on that what Alonso says in the last few years? I mean, I would like McLaren fighting with the top teams but apart from Alonsos words, which proved to be wrong very often, all the blabber in front of a season is only blabber.

bauc

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 09:36
Alonso yesterday had some bad news for regular Mclaren haters... :mrgreen:

http://soymotor.com/noticias/alonso-si- ... ssion=true
I cant open the link, can you please copy paste the interview here?
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

GoranF1

The comparisons are odious, but also totally logical and it is normal that the fans of Fernando Alonso have noticed the preseason that McLaren and Toro Rosso did. Both premiere engine this year, so for fans are in 'trial period' in the tests and even in Australia.

Fernando Alonso , a driver who did not see anything pessimistic despite the problems of McLaren during the tests, says he does not regret having left Honda after the positive preseason of the Japanese with Toro Rosso .

"I have no problems with Honda, it never crossed my mind to go, but let's see how Honda goes in Australia, they did a good winter test and if they are in the top five, I will applaud, but I do not believe . the same as 21 races with three engines, "he said in statements for Spanish radio Onda Cero.

" I think they can be in the last three or four positions and we, at McLaren, are going to try to be in the top five or six, we are happy with the change to Renault, we have improved four seconds compared to last year," he said. added

"I see no reason to be pessimistic, McLaren is the second best team in history, Renault is one of the best riders that ever lived and we are full of ambition, I do not see why it should not turn out well," he said.

The British team has partnered with Renault to approach the three best teams of the moment, Mercedes , Ferrari and Red Bull , and for now this is something that, according to Alonso, are already in the process of achieving.

"Things have not changed much since the presentation or the plans we had for the winter, we wanted to improve with respect to the previous three years and try to get as close as possible to the three best teams, we are doing that" , added the Spaniard, who He denies that his team is going to be fighting with those three leading teams.

Thus, the goal of the Woking is to be among the first five each race, always pass to the last stage of qualifying and fight to live the champagne ceremony at the end of each Sunday.

"McLaren can go from being ninth to being close to them and fighting in the race.When we switched to Renault, we all agreed it would be good if McLaren was close to the top three, in the top five in each race, always in Q3 and fighting for a podium when you can, "he specified.

Alonso faces 2018 with renewed illusions, after three years that have been difficult for him due to the lack of competitiveness in Formula 1. "My life is based on competing and winning, when I lack the victories, it is hard, but I also learned other things. In these years, I opened myself to other legendary competitions like the IndyCar and the WEC, everything happens for a reason ", he highlighted.

" In those years I had some frustration, but now I'm happy because I've become a more complete driver ," he added.
Regarding his title chances in 2018, Alonso believes that Mercedes will dominate irremediably and questions the order of the teams from the first three. "Normally there are six cars in the first three grills, so then a question arises: McLaren, Haas, Renault or Force India? The first thing we have to do is win that battle, " he said to finish
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

adrianjordan

restless wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 09:19
Alonso Fan wrote:
Weren't all Renault powered cars down in speed traps though? I recall Renault and RedBull having similar speed trap figures to mclaren

Just an idea:
Mc know that right now beating RB everywhere is not quite possible (first year with Renault, etc)
But they need some good news - and not consistent fight for 7-8 place, but podiums here and there
So they don't build a car that is fast everywhere, but a car which is excellent on tracks like Barcelona and Monaco.
Well, if you aimed for a car that excels on aero dependent tracks, that would probably translate to a car that goes well most places except power tracks...that was pretty much RBR's strategy throughout their winning years!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Andres125sx

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 18:42
Andres125sx wrote:
12 Mar 2018, 17:44
With frozen V8s reliability was much better ;)

And disagree with your "any driver " statement. Even when cars are 80% of the perfomance (at least), they´re far from robots who perform the same, and there´s a huge difference between Alonso, Vettel or Hamilton, and Bottas, Kimi or Stoffel. I´ll dare to say even between some of the first group, I can´t see Vetel or Alonso making as many mistakes as Lewis :P
Personally, I feel Stoffel will be a handful for Fernando this year, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's quicker.
IMHO the ranking about who should be worried about who is:

1st- Stoffel about Norris
56th Alonso about Stoffel

And I agree he improved in last part of past season, but still a very long road before fighting Fernando. F1 is far from patient, and if the team has someone like Norris waiting for a seat... I like Stoffel, but I really think this will be his last season, and I can even see a scenario where he does not even finish it

Alonso Fan

restless wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 09:19
Alonso Fan wrote:

Just an idea:
I recall all Renault powered teams and Toro Rosso at the bottom of the speed traps on the last day of testing

Edit here we go, speed traps day 4

[media]https://mobile.twitter.com/F1/status/972182733295423489[/media]
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

restless

All other days Mclaren had ~ 310km/h with Renault&RB near 320
Maybe they were running lower power mode and pushed to the limit only for last laps of Alonso?

Ground Effect

restless wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:21
Maybe they were running lower power mode and pushed to the limit only for last laps of Alonso?
Push, yes, but I doubt it was to the limit, Fernando confirmed they were holding back, just like everyone else.

Vasconia

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:30
restless wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 12:21
Push, yes, but I doubt it was to the limit, Fernando confirmed they were holding back, just like everyone else.
All Teams were running on a conservative mode but espically the Renault powered engines if I am not wrong.

BrunoH

for me the renault engine has a bigger gap than last year in power, or Mclaren has a lot of drag! a lot really!!!