2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Too many if’s with Honda. This talk about “they will come good” “it’s just a matter of time” gets old after 4 years. Feel free to go support them just leave them out of McLaren Renault threads. It’s off topic and has no place here.
thats fine but dont come to honda or TR forums and act a troll like you are.

diffuser

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:58
diffuser wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 05:28
marmer wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 02:48

not talking about new parts here they didn't give toro rosso any new old stock and as such had to run with reduced power combined with the fact that they give their own cars real new parts with more performance around the same time when toro rosso parts all started to fail due to wear and tear
There are rules against that inforced by the FIA.
STR didn't seem to think so.
Yeah, I read that article. It was pretty vague with regards to which parts they were being asked to reuse. I'm sure that when you've paid for your PU you always want new parts no matter what the costs. Anyways that looked like a spat between Renault and STR. With one accusing the other of perverting the installation and the other replying that no it's the old parts. Not sure where the truth is there.

Restomaniac

diffuser wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 15:04
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:58
diffuser wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 05:28

There are rules against that inforced by the FIA.
STR didn't seem to think so.
Yeah, I read that article. It was pretty vague with regards to which parts they were being asked to reuse. I'm sure that when you've paid for your PU you always want new parts no matter what the costs. Anyways that looked like a spat between Renault and STR. With one accusing the other of perverting the installation and the other replying that no it's the old parts. Not sure where the truth is there.
True but let us be honest. The Renault factory team didn't seem to be hitting the same kind of problems.

I generally think there was something going on and even if it's only a small amount it means that the Rules are not being enforced by the FIA.

RedNEO

bauc wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 11:59
RedNEO wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:27
bauc wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 09:55
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL McLAREN and F1 FANS, I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST!
Happy 2018
May it bring us and the team good fortune
If the team is back to the top 4 next year, I will consider that a successful season
I will be very happy with top 4. That’s already a huge turnaround from last season.

McHonda

Zak Brown wrote:Asked if there is a fresh excitement within McLaren ahead of its switch to Renault power units in this coming season, Brown replied: "Definitely.

"Energy, enthusiasm, excitement are kind of at an all-time high, certainly within the last five years. Morale's great, people are working hard, we're excited. We've got a new livery coming, we've got a new garage coming, we've got a new engine coming, we've got the two drivers we wanted... Everyone's working well together.

"Eric [Boullier] is happy with everything that he has. I asked him the other day 'Anything else you need?' 'Nope, I got what I need.' So everyone is excited and the anticipation is building. I wish Australia was tomorrow."
http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146513-mcl ... 017-146513

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 16:19
bauc wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 11:59
RedNEO wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 10:27

Happy 2018
May it bring us and the team good fortune
If the team is back to the top 4 next year, I will consider that a successful season
I will be very happy with top 4. That’s already a huge turnaround from last season.
Top 4 with ALO winning the Championship!!! LOL

diffuser

McHonda wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 17:04
Zak Brown wrote:Asked if there is a fresh excitement within McLaren ahead of its switch to Renault power units in this coming season, Brown replied: "Definitely.

"Energy, enthusiasm, excitement are kind of at an all-time high, certainly within the last five years. Morale's great, people are working hard, we're excited. We've got a new livery coming, we've got a new garage coming, we've got a new engine coming, we've got the two drivers we wanted... Everyone's working well together.

"Eric [Boullier] is happy with everything that he has. I asked him the other day 'Anything else you need?' 'Nope, I got what I need.' So everyone is excited and the anticipation is building. I wish Australia was tomorrow."

Thanks for that link but comments like that are BS...They aren't gonna tell us the truth. Remember last year Honda said everything was going as planned till they showed up in testing ....then nothing was. (not choosing Honda to pick on them, just using them as an example).

Manoah2u

nothing but self-preservation. with the renault powerplant for 2018, this will be the first time in years that mclaren can be reasonably tested on their chassis quality.
it's always a case of tapping yourself on the shoulder.

"our experts from sensodyne advise using sensodyne" or "studies from our sensodyne scientists show that sensodyne is the best product"

they're selling their own product, and lay blame - directly or indirectly - to a factor they can contribute any 'negativity' towards, after a risk calculation of such claims.
honda relationship is done anyway, so let's put all our feathers in our own, tap ourself on the shoulder, and tell it was their fault.
next year we'll find a different approach.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

RonDennis

diffuser wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 17:36
McHonda wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 17:04

Thanks for that link but comments like that are BS...They aren't gonna tell us the truth. Remember last year Honda said everything was going as planned till they showed up in testing ....then nothing was. (not choosing Honda to pick on them, just using them as an example).
Honda already knew in December that they were in big, big trouble. Let's hope that McLaren can at least do 60+ laps on their first day.

techman wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 14:23
Too many if’s with Honda. This talk about “they will come good” “it’s just a matter of time” gets old after 4 years. Feel free to go support them just leave them out of McLaren Renault threads. It’s off topic and has no place here.
thats fine but dont come to honda or TR forums and act a troll like you are.
Just like you? :lol:

zeph

I think top 4 is a big task; they’d have to be better than Force India, and McLaren hasn’t been in the top 4 since 2012. Also, it remains to be seen where the Renault works team is gonna land. If they are competitive and there was to be a battle for 4th and 5th between them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see McLaren’s PU software updates being delayed etc.

Finishing 4th in the WDC will count as a big win for me.

ME4ME

zeph wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 21:58
I think top 4 is a big task; they’d have to be better than Force India, and McLaren hasn’t been in the top 4 since 2012. Also, it remains to be seen where the Renault works team is gonna land. If they are competitive and there was to be a battle for 4th and 5th between them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see McLaren’s PU software updates being delayed etc.

It's good te be careful with expectations. Looking at the last couple of races in 2017, Alonso wasn't far off the quickest Force India in qualifying though. If Mclaren gain 20-30 hp by switching Honda for Renault, that will help. If i recall correctly Mclaren has about dubble the budget of Force India, and Renault is still building up its team. Mclaren should be in a good position regarding these aspects.

If you'd have to point out a weakness at Mclaren, that would be Stoffel Vandoorne. He has yet to find the form that his previous achievements alude he has in him. But for the constructors championship, this might hurt Mclaren a bit. Both Renault and Force India are solid in this regard for 2018.

Finishing 4th is the minimum i'd expect from Mclaren. However, it's also the maximum.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 21:01

Honda already knew in December that they were in big, big trouble. Let's hope that McLaren can at least do 60+ laps on their first day.

That was my point, they knew and still on the surface everything was peachy. It looked like they managed to keep it from McLaren too.... till testing anyway.

techman

thats a disappointment for sure. i thought mclaren boast about that chassis, surely they should be in top 3 at the end of the 2018 season, if not that a failure for mclaren and will expose their incompetent engineers.

RonDennis

ME4ME wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 22:55
zeph wrote:
02 Jan 2018, 21:58

It's good te be careful with expectations. Looking at the last couple of races in 2017, Alonso wasn't far off the quickest Force India in qualifying though. If Mclaren gain 20-30 hp by switching Honda for Renault, that will help. If i recall correctly Mclaren has about dubble the budget of Force India, and Renault is still building up its team. Mclaren should be in a good position regarding these aspects.

If you'd have to point out a weakness at Mclaren, that would be Stoffel Vandoorne. He has yet to find the form that his previous achievements alude he has in him. But for the constructors championship, this might hurt Mclaren a bit. Both Renault and Force India are solid in this regard for 2018.

Finishing 4th is the minimum i'd expect from Mclaren. However, it's also the maximum.
It all depends. If they have the same pace as the Red Bull at the end of 2018 4th is good, if they are far of the pace of Red Bull 4th isn't good.

diffuser

techman wrote:
03 Jan 2018, 00:30
thats a disappointment for sure. i thought mclaren boast about that chassis, surely they should be in top 3 at the end of the 2018 season, if not that a failure for mclaren and will expose their incompetent engineers.
ROFL....
They cahange PU and magicaly move up 4 spots and that exposes McLaren incompetent enginers. LMAO.