2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

It's more a debate between people who think McLaren is doomed, and will be in the same place they were last year, and the ones that have a little more hope. Goes to show what a nebulous picture testing paints, and how people cling to their biases. Alonso says he expects to be among the top 5 or 6, not the 5th or 6th best car, but return to his rightful place of Alon5oth.

I'll laugh if he wins 3 races, gets 5th the rest of the year, and takes the championship to the last race.
Saishū kōnā

trinidefender

Macklaren wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 16:22
Good detail from Alonso on the car's characteristics while giving feedback to his engineers - in the Sky Sports Mclaren 360* video on YouTube
If anyone wants, here is the link that he is talking about (at least the one I found)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PXUfnzlOzI

PlatinumZealot

Oh Lord. Poor Alonso. 2021 will be his year. Maybe.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hemichromis

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 03:42
Oh Lord. Poor Alonso. 2021 will be his year. Maybe.
A 40th birthday present?!

easydolezip

This is a very poor job at translating the interview. It's completely off.

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 09:56
The comparisons are odious, but also totally logical and it is normal that the fans of Fernando Alonso have noticed the preseason that McLaren and Toro Rosso did. Both premiere engine this year, so for fans are in 'trial period' in the tests and even in Australia.

Fernando Alonso , a driver who did not see anything pessimistic despite the problems of McLaren during the tests, says he does not regret having left Honda after the positive preseason of the Japanese with Toro Rosso .

"I have no problems with Honda, it never crossed my mind to go, but let's see how Honda goes in Australia, they did a good winter test and if they are in the top five, I will applaud, but I do not believe . the same as 21 races with three engines, "he said in statements for Spanish radio Onda Cero.

" I think they can be in the last three or four positions and we, at McLaren, are going to try to be in the top five or six, we are happy with the change to Renault, we have improved four seconds compared to last year," he said. added

"I see no reason to be pessimistic, McLaren is the second best team in history, Renault is one of the best riders that ever lived and we are full of ambition, I do not see why it should not turn out well," he said.

The British team has partnered with Renault to approach the three best teams of the moment, Mercedes , Ferrari and Red Bull , and for now this is something that, according to Alonso, are already in the process of achieving.

"Things have not changed much since the presentation or the plans we had for the winter, we wanted to improve with respect to the previous three years and try to get as close as possible to the three best teams, we are doing that" , added the Spaniard, who He denies that his team is going to be fighting with those three leading teams.

Thus, the goal of the Woking is to be among the first five each race, always pass to the last stage of qualifying and fight to live the champagne ceremony at the end of each Sunday.

"McLaren can go from being ninth to being close to them and fighting in the race.When we switched to Renault, we all agreed it would be good if McLaren was close to the top three, in the top five in each race, always in Q3 and fighting for a podium when you can, "he specified.

Alonso faces 2018 with renewed illusions, after three years that have been difficult for him due to the lack of competitiveness in Formula 1. "My life is based on competing and winning, when I lack the victories, it is hard, but I also learned other things. In these years, I opened myself to other legendary competitions like the IndyCar and the WEC, everything happens for a reason ", he highlighted.

" In those years I had some frustration, but now I'm happy because I've become a more complete driver ," he added.
Regarding his title chances in 2018, Alonso believes that Mercedes will dominate irremediably and questions the order of the teams from the first three. "Normally there are six cars in the first three grills, so then a question arises: McLaren, Haas, Renault or Force India? The first thing we have to do is win that battle, " he said to finish

the EDGE

RonDennis wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 00:27
This is the new hype? Complaining about McLaren's top speed? #-o
I take great pleasure reading negative McLaren comments, it reminds me how fearful people still are about the threat McLaren pose :wink:

Gerhardsa

the EDGE wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 09:24
RonDennis wrote:
I take great pleasure reading negative McLaren comments, it reminds me how fearful people still are about the threat McLaren pose :wink:
Well, its been 10 years since any type of championship, and 6 since victories.
We will see if they can reclaim that threat reputation. Otherwise they will just keep fading like Williams did since the early 2000s to the sad sad....sad state it is now.
I think in the long run, McLaren will have no choice but to start building their own engines. You really have to be a manufacturer or works team to succeed, since forever.
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 14 Mar 2018, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Vasconia

Gerhardsa wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 09:36
the EDGE wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 09:24
RonDennis wrote:
Well, its been 10 years since any type of championship, and 6 since victories.
We will see if they can reclaim that threat reputation. Otherwise they will just keep fading like Williams did since the early 2000s to the sad sad....sad state it is now.
I think in the long rung, McLaren will have no choice but to start building their own engines. You really have to be a manufacturer or works team to succeed, since forever.
Now that Mercedes and Renault have their own teams, yes, you are right. But it will take its time and I don´t know if Mclaren can wait much more. Even if they dont win another championship they desperately need to fight for podiums and some victories ASAP.

GoranF1

Vandoorne stint on medium tyre 15 laps + in/out

out
in

so a 20.6 lap after 14 laps is not to bad at all(fuel corrected 0,056) is about 1,19,800 lap although in a shorter run a much better lap could even be possible,and 2,5sec to HS tyre gives 1.17.3 lap at least

what was the fastest Medium lap?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ispano6

Watched a YouTube video of the McLaren team pitstop practice during testing and they seemed to get the left and right rear wheel mixed up. Then in another shot the car falls off the jack stand and slams the floor on the ground. I couldn't even laugh since it was more pathetic than funny. It would be ironic if Alonso misses out on a win or podium due to a 4 sec pitstop, though not surprising.

Nonserviam85

GoranF1 wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 15:09

what was the fastest Medium lap?
IIRC Bottas did a ~1:18:900 with mediums

godlameroso

A second per lap deficit, maybe a few tenths closer with Alonso, closer but not enough to bother the top 3, maybe they can close the gap as they develop the chassis, they still have some work to do, whereas it's harder for the others to make the same type of gains.
Saishū kōnā

ollandos

i think alonso and sainz engine mode is same ...and mclaren 0.3-0.4 faster but both have more pace .from 2 ferraris looks 1.17.000 is the pace and red bull have for downforce ...

honda still slower on D acceleration ..

Andres125sx

Re: McLaren MCL33

Not specially interesting article, but I think this bit is:

(Sorry for my poor and free translation)
Alonso wrote:We´ve been weak at chassis department, but past season we were much stronger. That´s what made me stop thinking about quiting F1
That´s after saying they perfectly know if they´re 10 miliseconds faster or slower at each corner, what are each team tire pressures, etc. so they perfectly know how they perform at each department

https://as.com/motor/2018/03/16/formula ... 00624.html

As an Alonso supporter, I can say Honda adventure made me assume Alonso would quit, and I was conviced about that, but at some point he decided to stay so to me this statement makes me understand the reason and makes me also more optimistic for the season :D