2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
makecry
makecry

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:51
Any definite changes except the slightly revised engine cover and that winglet at it's end? PP said much will change... Or should we wait until FP1 to see new bits, what do you guys reckon?
Brake fairings, diffusor. They are splitting the upgrade into 2-3 races.Probably still behind schedule or just trying to test out parts individually or something like.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

makecry wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:53
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:51
Any definite changes except the slightly revised engine cover and that winglet at it's end? PP said much will change... Or should we wait until FP1 to see new bits, what do you guys reckon?
Brake fairings, diffusor. They are splitting the upgrade into 2-3 races.Probably still behind schedule or just trying to test out parts individually or something like.
Hopefully both?
Good testing and things in pipeline...nice ...
But, I wouldn't count on them to be hit this season.
For them, IMHO, stabile development is something they need this year to be eventually competitive in long run.

Xero

The cooling fix McLaren have opted to keep have been used by many teams for countless years. It's a simple and effective solution to avoid repackaging the inside and risking further issues. I'm more than content that there is nothing to worry about, I think it was blown way out of proportion given the teams record over the past 3 years.

McLaren have been honest and open about their prospects for the Aus GP and the season as a whole, and they've been somewhat reserved. There's no reason to suggest the statements are simply PR talk, but proof will be in the pudding come Sunday. Fanboism works both ways. I'm seeing more anti-fans unfairly putting McLaren down than fans being unrealistically overoptimistic.

Raleigh
Raleigh

zoroastar wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 00:55
PP started in 2015 and the power unit had been in developement for close to 2 years before that. there is no way that he had any input on the original honda layout. unless honda just dropped 2 years of developement at the last minute. i doubt if PP even had much input on the melbourne spec 2015 car. 2016 was his first real design at mclaren.
Size zero does sound like the aero department out of control but you are right Prodromu did not join the team in time to design the 2015 car. To be precise he started work in September 2014 at which point the MP4-30 would have been in final development, and then the MP4-31 looked a lot different with Prodromu designed RB style aero.

zoroastar
zoroastar

Nonserviam85 wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 14:14
Giblet wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:40
Nonserviam85 wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 15:20

What did you expect them to say, that they aren't?
I think the point is that people are assuming they are liars, which is next level dumb.

If they say they got reliability sorted, then they think they do. It's not like they don't have dynos and shaker rigs and specific items to work on they discovered in testing.

McLaren have shown more than once they can rapidly develop and/or pivot. They made an octopus exhaust in testing, and by race one had an entirely different exhaust system and 3d printed titanium diffuser.

McLaren have been on the back foot but underestimating their talent and resource is a fool's errand.
You need to realize my friend that all those statements are PR talk, either they have it sorted it out or not. Only the races will tell the reality. But do you actually expect from anyone to say that they still have issues in an interview especially this time of the season?

Noone is saying they are liars or incompetent, they are in the second oldest team in the sport after all. Fanboism is the greatest fool's errand...
TBH last year, at about this time, they were doing just that. saying the race was going to suck...

RonDennis
RonDennis

This is going well. =D>

chepoi
chepoi

funny when McLaren always have $2 fix problem. latest problem their exhaust. lol!
they said that they have been prepared for the first race for several month.. but now i think they need 5 years to ready for the race 1.

Alonso Fan

Absolutely appalling
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis
RonDennis

This is going to be a long (or short depends the way you look at it) weekend.

Alonso Fan

Alonso just went out. Just saw an onboard. Engine seemed super detuned. It was bogging down in 8th gear. Desperate times
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

redmaxver
redmaxver

Both into the top 10 in FP1... looks like there is potential there if they can sort themselves out.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Alonso Fan wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 04:19
Alonso just went out. Just saw an onboard. Engine seemed super detuned. It was bogging down in 8th gear. Desperate times
...yet he ended up P8?

PlatinumZealot

Told you guys it was gonna be an ugly mess! I await a DNF on Sunday to complete the prophesy.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Alonso Fan

Macklaren wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 04:44
Alonso Fan wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 04:19
...yet he ended up P8?
Yep there are still things to remain positive about. I hope they are the fourth quickest team even if they aren't reliable yet. But seeing the reliability of everyone else it is worrisome.

The onboard I saw was from an out lap. It didn't seem at all bad when they showed an onboard of Alonso on his timed lap, although they didn't show him going through that same section of track so still hard to judge

At least we know the engine can deliver decent power.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

adrianjordan

Still running basic testing aero package?

Perhaps still got compromises on cooling until upgraded parts are fitted?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️