2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

fellowhoodlums wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 17:28
and everyone else has updates too.......
True, but Mclaren have a bigger scope to improve on, hopefully they'll exploit it.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

rogazilla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 14:26
Answer to previous about why EB needs to go. To casual fans who watch the race only, may not be that obvious but it is different to just say things for PR versus someone who doesn't seem to make logical sense. Maybe he just choose to answer things illogically to me but really know what's happening but just from things he said, sounded like he has no clue.

This season we knew since testing, big upgrade is coming.
The unreliability during testing was because they went too aggressive
The big upgrade is delayed as they had to focus on fixing what's found in testing
Now the speed isn't there, although they are scoring points in hauls and that's great for McLaren. Happy for them but I think anyone looking at the pace of the car knows they are far from target.
Yet, they have met their 2018 target? They are not aggressive enough? Even when the upgrade isn't here yet? The emergency meeting to figure out why the car isn't fast when you know you have upgrade coming?

We know the S duct changes means a pretty substantial front wing will probably come. It is his job to answer tough questions and take punches but there is much better way to answer those questions than the way EB is doing.
Right, but you being unhappy about the way he answers those questions and the way McLaren feels about it are 2 different things. Maybe they're very happy about it?

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 14:39
Meeting their target and not being aggressive enough is easy to understand. They met their targets in testing of how much downforce they were making and getting the renault running reliably. There, target achieved.

Little did they know their target was wrong and set too low so now after a couple of races they know where they are in the pecking order and with hindsight EB is saying they weren't aggressive enough. It's very easy to understand.

Emergency meeting was for the shareholders because the race was in Bahrain. Only the media labelled it an emergency meeting afaik. If the race was elsewhere I doubt there would have been any meeting at all. If it was that serious they would have had one this race too

I agree they are not where they should be. But they basically still have last years car. Updates are overdue. I hope something will come to Baku but I fear it will be only at Barcelona where everyone else will also have something.
I think the reason they are behind is because of Financial constraints or some other reason that McLaren doesn't want to tell us.

if you try to tell me that Updates that should have been ready March 25th will not be ready until May 13th because you spent 2 weeks after the testing to correct what look like very minor changes in the PU cover...I'm gonna call BS every time. When does 2 weeks of work turn into 6 weeks? When 2 weeks of work was always gonna take 8 weeks.

Why are they passing the Nose crash tests now when they were one of the firsts to pass the cockpits crash test?

In my opinion, they never spent those 2 weeks on the PU cover. They were always gonna have this stuff ready for Spain "Full stop".

I don't put too much credence in those targets stuff. If they're hiding the real reason, they'll make up anything.

I'm saying this to say McLaren are evil or whatever ...just sometimes you're not gonna say something to not embarrass the organisation.

fellowhoodlums

The original Melbourne updates arrived for Bahrain. Reason? Resource - they don't have the manpower to fix issues and do the update. Boullier said so.

willmesquita

I was thinking, and I don't know if it makes sense, the only way to increase downforce and not add much drag is work over floor and diffuser. Is that right?
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

PhillipM

diffuser wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 19:59
I think the reason they are behind is because of Financial constraints or some other reason that McLaren doesn't want to tell us.

if you try to tell me that Updates that should have been ready March 25th will not be ready until May 13th because you spent 2 weeks after the testing to correct what look like very minor changes in the PU cover...I'm gonna call BS every time. When does 2 weeks of work turn into 6 weeks? When 2 weeks of work was always gonna take 8 weeks.
It's easy, the new nose doesn't pass the crash test, so you need to revise it slightly and make new ones, complex carbon parts have substantial lead times even in F1 - and then probably revise other parts downstream.
If it doesn't get to Oz then the logistics of fetching a whole package means it makes sense to just bolt on the smaller bits that work (new sidepod deflectors, etc) and take it to Barcelona where it's easy and fast to get it there.

McMika98

Re: McLaren MCL33

GoranF1 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:38
Current Mclaren Aerodynamiscist claims they already have S duct......where in the hell???
Cant believe the company would allow an employee to tweet during work hours, let alone tweet about the company. Sackable offense if Ron was around. The guy should be working Overtime on reducing drag on that big ass rear wing not spreading false hopes. S-duct aint the solution for drag thats for sure.

zoroastar

I'm saying this to say McLaren are evil or whatever ...
[/quote]

i agree. they are all devil worshipers obviously. or the illuminati, or something. but thats one of the reasons i like them.

makecry

loner wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 16:10
Postmoe wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:42
radosav wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:20
Soo we are putting all our hopes on succes of operation Nose-job
Hoping it will not be a mere cosmetic improvement or expectations will be nose-diving.
a full second had been mooted from the nose so you should expect the direction ...
No it hasn't. It's just a wild speculation with no proper citation.

diffuser

PhillipM wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 22:52
diffuser wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 19:59

It's easy, the new nose doesn't pass the crash test, so you need to revise it slightly and make new ones, complex carbon parts have substantial lead times even in F1 - and then probably revise other parts downstream.
If it doesn't get to Oz then the logistics of fetching a whole package means it makes sense to just bolt on the smaller bits that work (new sidepod deflectors, etc) and take it to Barcelona where it's easy and fast to get it there.

We hadn't heard anything about them failing a crash test anyways. The way things have gone this year, they haven't lost too many points. So as long as the parts work when they arrive....

diffuser

McMika98 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 23:31
GoranF1 wrote:
Current Mclaren Aerodynamiscist claims they already have S duct......where in the hell???
Cant believe the company would allow an employee to tweet during work hours, let alone tweet about the company. Sackable offense if Ron was around. The guy should be working Overtime on reducing drag on that big ass rear wing not spreading false hopes. S-duct aint the solution for drag thats for sure.
I'm an engineer, our companies encourages it. As long as you know what to and what not to say.

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 01:36
I'm saying this to say McLaren are evil or whatever ...
i agree. they are all devil worshipers obviously. or the illuminati, or something. but thats one of the reasons i like them.
[/quote]

Ooops meant to say "I'm NOT saying this to say McLaren are evil or whatever ..."

ivanlesk

McMika98 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
That's right, put them behind closed doors and give them just water and bread. Seriously????

Maybe he twitted when he was at lunch or toilet? Have considered that?

Btw twitt didn't say that s-duct will (is) solving all the problems.

At least he did it publicity for anyone to see. He could send them to some jurnaliat and with that more info...

johnny comelately

diffuser wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 04:03
McMika98 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
I'm an engineer, our companies encourages it. As long as you know what to and what not to say.
So Diffuser, how many from this forum would get a job with you (dont include me in the answer :wink: ) ?

Postmoe

McMika98 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
9:50 in the morning for my post. GUESS WHAT.