2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Great News, I'm really looking forward to Barcelona and see what will come out of the garage. Any ''filming'' days left for Mclaren?

The only thing now remains is to survive the hell named Baku as I think that long straight will kill them
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

matt_s
matt_s

Alonso Fan wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 14:39
Meeting their target and not being aggressive enough is easy to understand. They met their targets in testing of how much downforce they were making and getting the renault running reliably. There, target achieved.

Little did they know their target was wrong and set too low so now after a couple of races they know where they are in the pecking order and with hindsight EB is saying they weren't aggressive enough. It's very easy to understand.

Emergency meeting was for the shareholders because the race was in Bahrain. Only the media labelled it an emergency meeting afaik. If the race was elsewhere I doubt there would have been any meeting at all. If it was that serious they would have had one this race too

I agree they are not where they should be. But they basically still have last years car. Updates are overdue. I hope something will come to Baku but I fear it will be only at Barcelona where everyone else will also have something.
I can't buy that at all. They were 1.5 seconds off the 2017 pole position time in China. Sure, that was a 1s improvement in laptime themselves, but then 0.7-1.0s was about they overall shift in Q3 times from 2017-18. It that was honestly their target (which they are apparently hitting), then they are well and truly screwed.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Xero wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:35
GhostF1 wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 13:02
First I've heard of Renault bringing a power update... Are you sure you aren't talking about Honda? They've announced their new engine is due Canada with a 30-35hp bump.
Sure you aren't crossing wires?
Renault are bringing a power update to Canada, is that Honda's plan too? There were no dates to the original quote from several weeks back, just that their first PU upgrade would be a performance one.
From the link I posted earlier, it's stated Honda's update is in June, for either France or Canada.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:31
GhostF1 wrote:
Xero wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 12:48

I haven't heard any numbers, but I do believe the first Renault upgrade is a performance one rather than reliability.
First I've heard of Renault bringing a power update... Are you sure you aren't talking about Honda? They've announced their new engine is due Canada with a 30-35hp bump.
Around 27bhp, stop exaggerating everything that Honda does.

"Autosport understands Honda is targeting a step of around 27bhp for the Canadian Grand Prix in June."

I really hope the new car is good. McLaren shouldn't be fighting with Haas, Force India and Toro Rosso.
To be fair, you can't say one is exaggerating, because it's been quoted by other media outlets. Whether these outlets like AS are reliable or not, is another matter, but exaggeration only comes in if one is giving the figure without a source.

AS also said Honda is planning an upgrade, with the Toro Rosso drivers to get a 40 hp boost in either Canada or France in June.
The report read: "According to rumours, Red Bull have told Honda that the condition of using their power unit next season is that it is equal to the Renault."

They've actually said 40... Make of that what you will.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan

matt_s wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:42
Alonso Fan wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 14:39
Meeting their target and not being aggressive enough is easy to understand. They met their targets in testing of how much downforce they were making and getting the renault running reliably. There, target achieved.

Little did they know their target was wrong and set too low so now after a couple of races they know where they are in the pecking order and with hindsight EB is saying they weren't aggressive enough. It's very easy to understand.

Emergency meeting was for the shareholders because the race was in Bahrain. Only the media labelled it an emergency meeting afaik. If the race was elsewhere I doubt there would have been any meeting at all. If it was that serious they would have had one this race too

I agree they are not where they should be. But they basically still have last years car. Updates are overdue. I hope something will come to Baku but I fear it will be only at Barcelona where everyone else will also have something.
I can't buy that at all. They were 1.5 seconds off the 2017 pole position time in China. Sure, that was a 1s improvement in laptime themselves, but then 0.7-1.0s was about they overall shift in Q3 times from 2017-18. It that was honestly their target (which they are apparently hitting), then they are well and truly screwed.
You missed my point entirely. Good job.

Of course their targets weren't to be that far from pole. That's why they say they're under achieving.

Their targets were set when they didn't know the pecking order. They met them for the launch spec car. Now they know the pecking order. In hindsight they're too slow and everyone is faster than they expected them to be. Come on its not rocket science!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

mclaren111

santos wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 13:22
nirvaand wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 11:03
McLaren bringing new car to Barcelona.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... r-1027228/
It better be good, or Eric will have to eat his words... and when i say eat his words, is to leave Mclaren. I think he could just say that they will bring a major upgrade for Barcelona.

And then the real, real 2018 Mclaren car will come at Spa :lol: :o :lol: Boullier just don't know it yet

Hope Barcelona car works [-o< [-o<

fouad1979
fouad1979

well this what Cyril Abiteboul said to motorsport its in french but i'll translate it Nous parlons d’un chiffre substantiel, nous parlons de plus d’une demi-seconde par tour en termes de développement au cours de la saison. » explique Abiteboul à Motorsport.com.  that mean the update worth more than half second for the second engine its a lot lets wait and see

diffuser

Xero wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:35
GhostF1 wrote:
Renault are bringing a power update to Canada, is that Honda's plan too? There were no dates to the original quote from several weeks back, just that their first PU upgrade would be a performance one.
Pretty sure everyone will have NEW PU for Canada, all with updates.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Just had a de ja vu moment from reading.

I remember back in 2000's I will read every teams's news and they are bringing updates to this track and that track, Aero bits or Engine. I always have my hopes up that this will be the day when Mclaren can challenge the Ferrari. This will be the day when Jordan moves up. This will be the update... Then comes race day, Schumacher and Barrichello just blew by everyone and all of the updates meant nothing...

McL-H
McL-H

Why spread this news? Why build up big expectations, yet again? Maybe for once after 3 years of misery, it would be wise to shut up and let the results speak come Barcelona. I foresee high expectations with (again...) a disappointing result. Bring a new car to Spain, and when you can finally deliver, come up with this story. Just quit with the empty talk!!

RonDennis
RonDennis

McL-H wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 17:52
Why spread this news? Why build up big expectations, yet again? Maybe for once after 3 years of misery, it would be wise to shut up and let the results speak come Barcelona. I foresee high expectations with (again...) a disappointing result. Bring a new car to Spain, and when you can finally deliver, come up with this story. Just quit with the empty talk!!
Sorry, but where did you get those 'big expectations' from?

"It's just frustrating to see that we have such performance or pace in the race, and we are unable to unlock yet that performance in qualifying."

Asked if he was excited by what data suggested about the new package, Boullier replied: "No expectations, no need. I've been long enough in F1 to know you just celebrate when you're on the podium, or on top of the podium."

matt_s
matt_s

Alonso Fan wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 15:07
matt_s wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 14:42

You missed my point entirely. Good job.

Of course their targets weren't to be that far from pole. That's why they say they're under achieving.

Their targets were set when they didn't know the pecking order. They met them for the launch spec car. Now they know the pecking order. In hindsight they're too slow and everyone is faster than they expected them to be. Come on its not rocket science!
I'm not sure I did. I was mostly commenting on McLaren's statement that they hit their targets.
In hindsight they're too slow and everyone is faster than they expected them to be.
Mostly this. If we assume that McLaren surely at least had a target of being the 4th team, then their performance in China quali would have just got them in that position only on the assumption that nobody improved *at all* since last year.

How can everyone else be faster than they were expecting? Are they seriously expecting us to believe their prediction was for everyone to stand still? It beggars belief.

Andres125sx

Alonso Fan wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 02:08
diffuser wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 23:58
Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 23:52

Lets see. Oh yes Vettel denied him two world championships in 2010 and 2012 and went on to win the others in 2011 and 2013 when Alonso couldn't fight. Then he went to ferrari in 2015 and started winning races and racking up podiums while Alonso was stuck with mclaren Honda for 3 years. On top of that Vettel looked to be in championship contention last year and looks to be again this year. He has his reasons alright. They might not justify his actions towards Vettel but he has his reasons. I remember Canada 2015 as one of the points where he made it very very difficult for Vettel to overtake.

You can tell from his on track battles that he has much more respect for Hamilton (Mexico 2017) and Ricciardo (Germany 2014). BTW I'm not defending him, just providing the info you wanted
Think ALO been waiting 4 years to pass Ferrari on the track but I still think you're reading too much into the pass. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary. He just passed him by taking the racing line that he is entitled to.
I agree he's been waiting too long for that move. But I'm not reading only into this move. I'm pointing out every on track encounter they've had since Alonso left ferrari. He often didn't make it easy for Vettel to lap him either over the last few years.

That move was deliberate, off the racing line, kind of like magnussen on hulk in Hungary last year but to a slightly lesser extent. He forced Vettel to either back off or run wide. He did leave space on the inside of turn two though. He didn't get a penalty so its not a problem but it was unnecessary imo. he probably would have out dragged Vettel out of turn 2 even if he had allowed him to stay alongside and not forced him off. He was on fresher rubber.
I don´t think so, when a McLaren-Renault driver see the opportunity to pass a Ferrari, making any superiority assumption would be a huge mistake, closing the door was a must IMHO :wink:

Andres125sx

About the 1 second aero update..... I will be happy with a half of that!!!

makecry
makecry

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Apr 2018, 18:19
About the 1 second aero update..... I will be happy with a half of that!!!
It's nothing more than wild speculation. I doubt there is a half a second upgrade coming either.