2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Thunder

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

https://www.sport.de/news/ne3175231/qua ... ro-update/

Updates in Monaco, Canada and Silverstone according to EB.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

Thunder wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:35

To bring updates in Monaco is madness, the chances of damages and DNFs is too high and would be pointless to update there.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

DiogoBrand

Re: McLaren MCL33

nzjrs wrote:
02 May 2018, 12:00
iichel wrote:
01 May 2018, 13:08
Damage on Alonsos diffuser, slightly different lighting than the pictures above

https://i.imgur.com/9juBysb.png
I often wonder if the aerodynamicists learn something from situations like these. In Austria? I think Max took small floor damage and claimed the car was undrivable - but the McLaren takes off half its diffuser and Alonso finishes P7.

The effect could have been track specific, Baku is quite unique, but interesting nonetheless.
Some things to consider:
1 - Baku needs really low downforce while Albert Park is a high DF circuit
2 - An 'undrivable' Red Bull finished 6th after spinning out while a 'drivable' McLaren finished 7th after all hell breaking loose and five faster cars not finishing.

So perhaps an undrivable RBR is still faster than an 'okay' McLaren, or maybe Alonso's car was just as undrivable and he just didn't make a big fuss about it.

PhillipM

I think it's more likely that Stoffel just couldn't switch the tyres on and that was as imporatant as anything around there.

Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:52
Thunder wrote:

To bring updates in Monaco is madness, the chances of damages and DNFs is too high and would be pointless to update there.
Maybe it's not an upgrade as such, maybe more of a Monaco package or aero configuration, specifically for said race.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM

Yes, probably just a high downforce package as normal, a few bolt on bits, deeper T-wing/monkey seats, big brake ducts and mods for more steering lock, etc.

cyclon

Pls do not misjudge me but our dearest Stoffel always had problems with cold tyres check even previous years starts behind safety cars.
Although good and consistent he does not look like he has the "feeling" on cold types...
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

godlameroso

I do believe I said we wouldn't see the true 2018 McLaren until Silverstone, or French GP earliest.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

bauc wrote:
03 May 2018, 12:52
Thunder wrote:

come on...We often see "Monaco Specific" packages. You literally throw every little piece of down-force at Monaco. Top speed means nothing there and neither does fuel efficiency.

Monaco is my least favorite races of the year.

RonDennis

Not every update has to be aero.

trinidefender

RonDennis wrote:
03 May 2018, 20:00
Not every update has to be aero.
To take that point further, even if it is an aero update then it doesn't have to visible or can be a very subtle change on the outside that is almost undetectable.

Remember a suspension change that helps to keep a car to stay more level allowing smaller operating Windows to be run is essentially an aero update but is completely unperceivable.

Hammerfist

santos wrote:
02 May 2018, 18:01
I find weird how a "normal" Mclaren with Vandoorne, struggling with the tyres more then a damaged Mclaren with Alonso.
Maybe they should damage the car every race.
It just shows how far Vandoorne is from Alonso in ability. He is not going to keep his seat next year if this continues.

dr_cooke

Hammerfist wrote:
04 May 2018, 06:43
santos wrote:
I find weird how a "normal" Mclaren with Vandoorne, struggling with the tyres more then a damaged Mclaren with Alonso.
It just shows how far Vandoorne is from Alonso in ability. He is not going to keep his seat next year if this continues.
Alonso shines specially when the car is not perfect. On a perfect car he’s just one of the (very) top drivers. When things aren’t perfect, setup is off the sweet spot or there’s a need to adapt to the unforeseen then he is unique, me thinks. He’s so fast reading car conditions and adapting his style to them.

mclaren111

The F1 Page:

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _Deadline/

“That level of integration, we didn’t see that coming, neither Red Bull or us Renault. That was our common mistake, that we didn’t manage to support and identify and to react and correct. So we have been a little bit complacent with the model in which we wanted to collectively operate. That was not appropriate, that was not suitable or adapted to those new regulations.

Abiteboul again confirms the impotance and difference between factory team and customer team PU integration.

Mclaren will need time until after the summer break to get a good handle on that and possibly only from 2019.

Ground Effect

dr_cooke wrote:
04 May 2018, 08:49
Hammerfist wrote:
04 May 2018, 06:43
santos wrote:
Alonso shines specially when the car is not perfect. On a perfect car he’s just one of the (very) top drivers. When things aren’t perfect, setup is off the sweet spot or there’s a need to adapt to the unforeseen then he is unique, me thinks. He’s so fast reading car conditions and adapting his style to them.
I totally agree with you, key word, adapt. Be it to tyres, fuel saving, under/oversteer, he seems to be able to get the best out of a package. A good example is how quickly he adapted to indycar. I heard he set the fastest time at Spa yesterday as well. Hats of to the guy.
But that said, I still think Stoffel will come good. I've pointed out before that he brings the car home, doesn't do silly things, spin out, crash or take people out. His strong point in his career is finding the grip level, with F1, it affects his driving style. But he's a good driver. Just needs more time than I guess we thought he would.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.