2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2018 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Redragon wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:42
Manoah2u wrote:
14 Jan 2018, 19:29
So i guess i probably stand corrected about a full yellow-green Mclaren for 2018 with some reddish accents - well, could still happen though, but from revisiting Zak's comments in various (recent) interviews, i picked out the most important ones;
"I think the fans want us to go to Papaya Orange for sure. When we did the IndyCar we had an overwhelming amount of 'Please make your F1 car like that'.
"We are waiting on a few sponsor decisions which also can dictate what a car looks like. I wouldn’t rule it out."

Brown says McLaren won't totally rebrand its livery to suit a single commercial partner, as Force India did this year with water sponsor BWT.
After divorcing Honda as its power unit supplier in F1 to switch to Renault engines from 2018, an estimated $80m hole could appear in the McLaren budget
but Brown has downplayed any concerns.

"We have signed some sponsors, but I don't know exactly when we're going to announce them," he added.
a deal between McLaren, Petrobras and Setta Camara will be announced ahead of the 2018 season.

"We could not sell to potential sponsors the story that things will get better next year.
That was one of the reasons why we needed a new engine supplier."

"The car's not going to look the same as last year," Brown said.
"Our whole brand, the visibility of McLaren, is going to go to the next level and it's going to be exciting.
anyway, had to share this amazing picture. imagine Formula 1 in the snow o.O

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQYIB-pXcAABGZp.jpg:large
Curious that in the interview is mention the 80 millions of dollars hole but let's keep ingnoring it so some members here don't get upset
Why would we get upset? Everyone knows it and the shareholders will fill that hole for this season.

Redragon

RonDennis wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 20:27
Redragon wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
So i guess i probably stand corrected about a full yellow-green Mclaren for 2018 with some reddish accents - well, could still happen though, but from revisiting Zak's comments in various (recent) interviews, i picked out the most important ones;

Curious that in the interview is mention the 80 millions of dollars hole but let's keep ingnoring it so some members here don't get upset
Why would we get upset? Everyone knows it and the shareholders will fill that hole for this season.
Businesses is about planning in long term, as Zack is saying on this interview will take them to recover a couple of years to be again with a budget of a winner team but that only will happen if the swap with Renault is a winner, if they are gonma be just 4th team best the risk taken is huge. To my eyes at the moment looks like a Williams case, from the greatests to midlefield but by saying my point of view I am tagged as a Mclaren hater. To recover those $80 millions of dollars is gonna be a hell of a job.

https://as.com/motor/2018/01/17/formula ... 78602.html

604gtir

well moving from 9th to 4th in the championship is worth 20m alone.
25% of the job done

NathanOlder

Is that the easy bit ? Or the hard bit ?

They won't make the 80m up no way.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

McHonda

They don't need to for this year because of the Bahraini's but 3 sponsors +20m in prize money knocks a fair hole into it you would hope. Depends on the 3 sponsors of course. And then next year you're only asking the Bahraini's for whatever the difference is if you can't find anymore during this season.

If money was the problem they wouldn't have split with Honda, they're not stupid, and certainly wouldn't have re-signed a driver on 25m+ or whatever he's on.

Long term it would be an issue but we won't know for a season or two and anything can happen in that time.

Restomaniac

Redragon wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
"I think the fans want us to go to Papaya Orange for sure. When we did the IndyCar we had an overwhelming amount of 'Please make your F1 car like that'.
"We are waiting on a few sponsor decisions which also can dictate what a car looks like. I wouldn’t rule it out."

Brown says McLaren won't totally rebrand its livery to suit a single commercial partner, as Force India did this year with water sponsor BWT.
After divorcing Honda as its power unit supplier in F1 to switch to Renault engines from 2018, an estimated $80m hole could appear in the McLaren budget
but Brown has downplayed any concerns.

"We have signed some sponsors, but I don't know exactly when we're going to announce them," he added.
a deal between McLaren, Petrobras and Setta Camara will be announced ahead of the 2018 season.

"We could not sell to potential sponsors the story that things will get better next year.
That was one of the reasons why we needed a new engine supplier."

"The car's not going to look the same as last year," Brown said.
"Our whole brand, the visibility of McLaren, is going to go to the next level and it's going to be exciting.

Erm..The funding hole and the fact that the owners are picking up that tab has been discussed on here numerous times. Nobody has denied or argued against the point.

If you want to see a team with money concerns look at Williams as their driver line-up screams 'we need the cash'.

If McLaren were in that bad a state they wouldn't have binned off the Honda cash. They certainly wouldn't be paying Alonso wages and instead would have brought in a paying driver.

techman

I find zak decision to get renault at this time not a smart decision and i will explain. when honda brougt their new concept in 2015, they had terrible reliabitiy and power issues but they carried it over to 2016 and their engine reliabilty improved so did the power. and again honda changed the entire concept to that one of mercedes and we can see in the start of 2017 they had reliability and power issues but remember their reliabilty and power improved a lot at the end of the year and according to hasegawa their spec 4 is going to pass renault in power and THEY WILL CARRY OVER THE SAME CONCEPT TO 2018. so keeping that in mind why change to renault, when mclaren have to make 100million from sponsors, pay renault and pay alonso big salary and the power will be almost the same? zak was misinformed and in hindsight will be a stupid decision. honda will improve and even pass renault and redbull will take the advantage in 2019. mclaren will be second rate customer to renault as renault have made their intentions to compete for the title in 2019 and they dont want to supply redbull. is mclaren ready to be renault B team? pay 30million to alonso, find 100 million and possibly could be another williams in the making. me personally i think this decision taken by zak was the best decision to help honda win a title with redbull. i would pick honda to run in a redbull over mclaren anytime because i know the quality of the design team in redbull compared to mclaren.

marmer

It's unwise to base your financial situation with on track performance.
Theoretical better championship results are not better than decent sponsor money. Look at the extreme of Manor they got there house in order looking better than ever if still not great. But lost out on just one race due to rain. And nasr dragging is sauber to a decent result.

While i am not saying something like this could happen to McLaren if they keep spending money like they are doing to try and get up the grid while teams like force India and Toro rosso spend much less and achieve the same position it will catch up to them. Could easily end up like Toyota spending millions getting nowhere.
Now under Renault until the next engine regulations they would be better tightening the belt and thinking more like force India and make steady progress. Look at them now compared to where they have come from. They have finished above McLaren in the last 3 seasons and i wouldn't be surprised if they managed it again.

Restomaniac

techman wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:54
I find zak decision to get renault at this time not a smart decision and i will explain. when honda brougt their new concept in 2015, they had terrible reliabitiy and power issues but they carried it over to 2016 and their engine reliabilty improved so did the power. and again honda changed the entire concept to that one of mercedes and we can see in the start of 2017 they had reliability and power issues but remember their reliabilty and power improved a lot at the end of the year and according to hasegawa their spec 4 is going to pass renault in power and THEY WILL CARRY OVER THE SAME CONCEPT TO 2018. so keeping that in mind why change to renault, when mclaren have to make 100million from sponsors, pay renault and pay alonso big salary and the power will be almost the same? zak was misinformed and in hindsight will be a stupid decision. honda will improve and even pass renault and redbull will take the advantage in 2019. mclaren will be second rate customer to renault as renault have made their intentions to compete for the title in 2019 and they dont want to supply redbull. is mclaren ready to be renault B team? pay 30million to alonso, find 100 million and possibly could be another williams in the making. me personally i think this decision taken by zak was the best decision to help honda win a title with redbull. i would pick honda to run in a redbull over mclaren anytime because i know the quality of the design team in redbull compared to mclaren.
With the greatest of respect you have shown over and again that you cannot view this situation with impartiality.

With the line 'Honda will improve and pass Renault' you confirm it.
Before you ask I have no loyalty to any team or engine manufacturer.

Redragon

Restomaniac wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:15
Redragon wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Erm..The funding hole and the fact that the owners are picking up that tab has been discussed on here numerous times. Nobody has denied or argued against the point.

If you want to see a team with money concerns look at Williams as their driver line-up screams 'we need the cash'.

If McLaren were in that bad a state they wouldn't have binned off the Honda cash. They certainly wouldn't be paying Alonso wages and instead would have brought in a paying driver.
I am talking about future no present. Shareholders will not be filling the gap much longer. They paid Ron Dennis out, brought Zack to sign a major sponsor, so far failed. 2018 was his deadline, now they are filling the gap Honda left. They better do a great job with the risk have been taken otherwise to my view is heading as Williams situation

RonDennis

People in here always act like it's the first time McLaren is having a hard time, it's happened before and it will happen again.

How do you also expect to sign sponsors when you're at the back of the grid, just look at how much money was lost by the Honda deal in the last couple of years. Brown also signed several new sponsors that will be announced later this month.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146795-mcl ... w-sponsors
Last edited by Steven on 18 Jan 2018, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Peter1919

The difference between McLaren and Williams situation is that McLaren have extremely wealthy owners who have shown time and again that they are prepared to invest money in the team if needed. They paid to buy out Mercedes, they paid to buy out Ron, they invested to launch McLaren as a car manufacturer and they are now paying to fund the team's budget shortfall for this season at least.

davidfroshanzen

Rear wing and sidepod = $70m????
😎

Redragon

RonDennis wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 13:59
Redragon wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 13:53
RonDennis wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 13:47

Stop comparing McLaren with Williams, it's retarded.
I am not comparing I am saying it could finish in sameway if things don't work out. Also, I have been reported you. It is not nice to insult people because of their points of view.
I don't care, I'm getting tired of the McLaren/Williams comparisons. You don't know much about both companies, facilities, shareholders if you say that things will end up in the same way. People in here always act like it's the first time McLaren is having a hard time, it's happened before and it will happen again. How do you also expect to sign sponsors when you're at the back of the grid, just look at how much money was lost by the Honda deal in the last couple of years. Brown also signed several new sponsors that will be announced later this month.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/146795-mcl ... w-sponsors
Again, you don't know what I know or not. As I said one page before if I discuss this subject I tagged as Mclaren ignorance and hater. When the only thing I want is to discuss with info. I would be as much happy as you with Mclaren at front but I will be very sad if in 4 or 5 years time F1 division finish as Williams. If you can't handle a bit of opposition or debate don't jump on it insulting and calling ignorance to people.

kfrantzios

techman wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 09:54
Everyone is entitled to his opinion. However if Zack Brown could not think about your simplistic approach, he would not be CEO. It's as simple as that. When you say that the CEO of McLaren is misinformed and imply that you know better, i recommend that you send your CV to their headquarters. I am sure they will hire you.