2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joseki
56
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Joseki » Thu May 10, 2018 1:45 pm

FW17 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:35 pm
So much for the B-S pec

So much BS from Eric, Zac and all the guys running the show
But we haven't even seen the updates yet. :?

McHonda
16
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by McHonda » Thu May 10, 2018 1:47 pm

FW17 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:35 pm
So much for the B-S pec

So much BS from Eric, Zac and all the guys running the show
Bit premature but good to know where you're at. :lol:

radosav
42
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by radosav » Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Some people expect machineguns and rocket launchers on car .

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 pm

radosav wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Some people expect machineguns and rocket launchers on car .
:D Hilarious!!!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser
169
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by diffuser » Thu May 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Nuvolari wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:44 pm
I think we're about to see if McLaren's qualifying pace last year from Fernando was genuine or one of those magical Alonso moments.

Apart from Baku, McLaren have found an average of 2 seconds improvement in qualifying pace over last year's car (1.5%). Provided the new parts work as intended, I think the fastest McLaren should be able to do a 1:19.5 at least. If it's anything less, then last year's qualifying was a complete outlier from Alonso.
Pretty sure they did 1:19s in Winter testing. We should be looking for 1:17s

FW17
226
User avatar
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by FW17 » Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm

McLaren does not have the same sea re to win as Ferrari does. bad performance can only take you so far before heads has to start rolling.

You need say BS car was media invention, they themselves came out said new car in Australia then Spain. If you are not going to deliver keep your mouth shut rather than fool fans.


I might be crazy but Jensen says the same
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ton-Vettel

Nuvolari
49
User avatar
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Nuvolari » Thu May 10, 2018 2:34 pm

diffuser wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:06 pm
Nuvolari wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:44 pm
I think we're about to see if McLaren's qualifying pace last year from Fernando was genuine or one of those magical Alonso moments.

Apart from Baku, McLaren have found an average of 2 seconds improvement in qualifying pace over last year's car (1.5%). Provided the new parts work as intended, I think the fastest McLaren should be able to do a 1:19.5 at least. If it's anything less, then last year's qualifying was a complete outlier from Alonso.
Pretty sure they did 1:19s in Winter testing. We should be looking for 1:17s
You're right that we saw 19s in the pre-season test, but times are almost always slower in the actual race weekend. 17s is a pretty big pace improvement compared to races so far. It's possible due to the smoother track, I suppose. And there was a pretty big improvement in race pace as well in the tests?

EDIT: I don't think the McLaren will do 17s this weekend. I think mid to high 17s will be pole position time.

Alonso Fan
43
User avatar
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Alonso Fan » Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm

He did a 17.7 in testing. It will be hard replicating that now due to the weather conditions but they might get close because of the new track surface
MVRC - SHM Racing

diffuser
169
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by diffuser » Thu May 10, 2018 3:01 pm

ye have little faith!


Ferrari did 1:17 in winter testing ... Expect low 1:17s maybe even 1:16s for pole.

taperoo2k
16
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by taperoo2k » Thu May 10, 2018 3:06 pm

FW17 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:35 pm
So much for the B-S pec

So much BS from Eric, Zac and all the guys running the show
At least wait and see what rolls out of the pit lane on Friday and Saturday. It's too early to judge
whatever upgrades McLaren has got ready for this Grand Prix, could just be that the parts haven't arrived from the factory yet and I wouldn't expect to see much on display anyway. Watch F1 long enough and you'll know to take whatever the teams say with mountains of salt. Lap time exposes what's true, the flukes and what's spin for the media.

ronanharris09
0
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by ronanharris09 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Alonso Fan wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm
He did a 17.7 in testing.
He did with the pink stint if I remember correctly, (tell me if it wasn't).

GoranF1
177
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Zagreb,Croatia

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by GoranF1 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Some new parts will be on the car some not.(today) Nose should be on.
Ferrari is done whit scruteeniring, Mclaren or FI next.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RonDennis
41
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by RonDennis » Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 pm

Image


McHonda
16
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by McHonda » Thu May 10, 2018 3:35 pm

FW17 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm
McLaren does not have the same sea re to win as Ferrari does. bad performance can only take you so far before heads has to start rolling.

You need say BS car was media invention, they themselves came out said new car in Australia then Spain. If you are not going to deliver keep your mouth shut rather than fool fans.


I might be crazy but Jensen says the same
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ton-Vettel
Who said they haven't delivered the upgrades? You realise they haven't even shown the car in Barcelona yet,right? They bring both old and new so they can run comparisons. You may as well criticise their quali performance on Saturday now while you're at it.

JB was talking about the infamous best chassis talk. You seem to think calling BS on something that you've no idea has even happened yet or not is proof of media invention.

At least wait until we've seen FP1 before deciding what has or hasn't happened.

Alonso Fan
43
User avatar
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Alonso Fan » Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 pm

ronanharris09 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:18 pm
Alonso Fan wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pm
He did a 17.7 in testing.
He did with the pink stint if I remember correctly, (tell me if it wasn't).
yes but it was in freezing conditions. the harder tyres will suit the warmer weather much better and might be able to extract similar performance
MVRC - SHM Racing