2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zoroastar

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

if failure for a whole season is based off of the first 4 races, when a team is in 4th place, with more points than they scored in the whole season before, after changing a power unit supplier, then this sport must really suck.

zoroastar

RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:43
flmkane wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:37
RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:27

Seeing Alonso and Vandoorne being 13th and 14th in quali just looks sad.
my sadness has been outweighed heavily by watching alonso on sundays, when it really counts. last year they had no points as of yet.

Fazal

Last night the last thing I did was search twitter for any image of Mclaren new nose. But it was not available at the time. I had this dream where I saw this new nose but thank god the actual new nose is not anywhere near what I dreamt.

dr_cooke

RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:27
PhillipM wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:23
Their pace hasn't been terrible though, it's been pretty damned good for an interim car with a rushed engine swap, race pace is top of the midfield.
I haven't heard anyone at the factories even mutter anything about correlation issues.

The nose was delayed because it failed crash tests, so they had to go through iterations + respective lead times. Which is why they only bolted an interim part of the new turning vanes on whilst they waited for it.
We're talking about a team that had the "best chassis" in 2017 and has a race winning engine now, while they haven't entered Q3 once and are fighting with teams like Haas, Force India and Toro Rosso.

When did it fail the crash test?

In fact, this new update should have arrived at the third race of the year, in China, but it has been delayed because it had to be revised, since the track data did not correspond to what the wind tunnel predicted.
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp- ... b45e8.html
Track data? Which track data? When have any of these parts been put on track till today?

No way they have found tunnel-trsck correlation issues yet. Which does not mean they can't find them today...

Although I tend to think they won't.

Andres125sx

RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:20
PhillipM wrote:
11 May 2018, 02:03
It was lead times, you can see how many of the parts are still being faired in and finished even now at the track.
Longer lead times because of bad correlation. Bad correlation seems likely in my opinion, would explain their terrible pace so far. Why else would you delay the update for Melbourne until Spain.
So you don´t have a clue, but throw some BS about bad correlation when the parts have not even been bolt into the car? #-o

Stop the bashing please, I know you must be frustrated watching it was really a completely new concept never seen before, but you should assume you were wrong and McLaren is working his way to the top again, hopefully. This will not kill you and the forum will be much nicer to read

bronceado

I think it is my first message around here although I am always in the shadow reading.

I am just here to say that newspaper Marca just says bullshits to sell. They do not even know how it works this world.
There is no correlations to correct, it is just delays from factories.

mwillems

Does anyone have any thoughts on the nose re: qualy v race?

The nose seems to clean and direct a lot of air, which to my untrained eye suggests some improvement in qualy, but that perhaps the nose will come into it's own in the race, when following cars.

Also, has anyone noticed yet if/where the air/s duct exits are?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect

Did they do anything on the sidepods?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM

Nothing so far that I can see, they still look like the old pods after comparing them now we have more angles. They did look tighter in places initially but that solid orange block makes it hard to compare.
Last edited by PhillipM on 11 May 2018, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

mclaren111

Monster Hesh wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:57
How many race weekends do we think before they are able to use this design optimally? This was meant to be on the car in Melbourne, so they are already 4 races behind. Maybe not until Austria before they can start extracting peak performance from it?
2 days of testing next week Plus testing for Perelli as well. Perelli testing can be useful this time around.

Thus, difficult if not impossible to say.

Pany

Mclaren is in deep ---. These upgrades are not sufficient. Force India, Redbull and renault are progressing veri quickly. Only Alonso is keeping the team up with many points on his merit. Im afraid they will end the season 6th. Im really sorry for Alonso and the team, should deserve more. Not to mention poor performance of Stoffel; they should replace immediately him with more experienced driver; this wouls surely accellerate progression and score some more points to compete against renault

GoranF1

People on track(padock) have seen more new parts in Mclaren.
Dont know what but around bargeboards
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

makecry

GoranF1 wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:56
Wouldn't we be know by now if there were new parts?

RonDennis

makecry wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:28
GoranF1 wrote:
I didn't see any new parts in FP1. They did change the nose during the session, don't know why (both new spec).

makecry

RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:33
makecry wrote:
11 May 2018, 12:28
GoranF1 wrote:
I didn't see any new parts in FP1. They did change the nose during the session, don't know why (both new spec).
I was intrigued by that too. Why change the nose with a new one of same spec.