2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
fouad1979

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Macklaren wrote:
15 May 2018, 11:32
mclaren111 wrote:
15 May 2018, 11:22
2 hours into the test and Van is still in garage !!

What the hell ??
This is a good sign. Points to big changes?

PS; or something to do with his race retirement
vandoorne is running right now 12 laps 1:19.874 in supersoft

M840TR

nirvaand wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:18
M840TR wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:01
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4261682177
Mercedes have copied the vortex generators on top of the sidepod inlets from the Mclaren
So Ferrari has copied McLaren's front wing and floor, and now Mercedes has copied the vortex generators. Looks like a lot of McLaren's problems are more to do internally, they seem to have low traction and mechanical grip in slow corners, the car just doesn't ride the kerbs and seems to lack the mechanical grip to turn the car is a left-right chicane - also pointed out by Martin Brundle this weekend. Problems with suspension and weight distribution?
I think it's more to do with it being underdeveloped around the sidepods and bargeboards area. It has quite a few interesting concepts but the new aero philosophy needs time to develop; that's why Alonso keeps emphasizing the importance of winning the development war. Suspension and weight distribution problems are something no one can know as they pertain to the internal workings. Although unlikely in my opinion since they have very talented people in that area who're always coming out with interesting stuff.

PhillipM

And everyone is slowly going towards Mclarens rear wing end plates that they've been running for a long time too...

Alonso Fan

Norris is doing tyre testing. It's no wonder he has the old spec which is a known quantity
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 15 May 2018, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

Because its testing they don't have to run their race power unit which they've been using as their first allocation do they?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

McHonda

No it's not one out of their race pool.

And they can run a new Renault unit with upgrades if they wanted or were offered as well I believe.

nirvaand

McHonda wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:17
And they can run a new Renault unit with upgrades if they wanted or were offered as well I believe.
Source?

McHonda

nirvaand wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:23
McHonda wrote:
15 May 2018, 15:17
Source?
I don't have one, I just remember from testing last year that the engine makers were able to test upgrades during the test if they had them available.

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
15 May 2018, 11:32
mclaren111 wrote:
15 May 2018, 11:22
2 hours into the test and Van is still in garage !!

What the hell ??
This is a good sign. Points to big changes?

PS; or something to do with his race retirement

They would not be running race pu or race drive in test sessions

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:34
nirvaand wrote:
M840TR wrote:
15 May 2018, 12:01
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4261682177
Mercedes have copied the vortex generators on top of the sidepod inlets from the Mclaren
So Ferrari has copied McLaren's front wing and floor, and now Mercedes has copied the vortex generators. Looks like a lot of McLaren's problems are more to do internally, they seem to have low traction and mechanical grip in slow corners, the car just doesn't ride the kerbs and seems to lack the mechanical grip to turn the car is a left-right chicane - also pointed out by Martin Brundle this weekend. Problems with suspension and weight distribution?
I think it's more to do with it being underdeveloped around the sidepods and bargeboards area. It has quite a few interesting concepts but the new aero philosophy needs time to develop; that's why Alonso keeps emphasizing the importance of winning the development war. Suspension and weight distribution problems are something no one can know as they pertain to the internal workings. Although unlikely in my opinion since they have very talented people in that area who're always coming out with interesting stuff.
AGREED, they're not getting the DF out of the diffuser and having to compensate with wing and other "more draggy" DF.

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:23
M840TR wrote:
nirvaand wrote:

AGREED, they're not getting the DF out of the diffuser and having to compensate with wing and other "more draggy" DF.

I'm sure it's not just Aero alone.

Most probably a combination of all off the above and getting it to work properly together.

ALO_Power

Meanwhile, a bit different than the current topic of discussion but what about the shocking garage Zak was promising us for Melbourne? He was saying that McLaren would have a very special and spectacular garage and that everyone in the paddock would say "oh u seen what McLaren did?". So what's about it, we're in Spain now, what's new? xD.

rogazilla

I wondered about that but quickly forgot and focused on car itself. I remember seeing the carbon fiber jack that dropped the car at pre season testing and was wondering if that was what Zak was talking about...

radosav

So they tested today multiple setups and new aero. It means they are not on top of new parts and their effect on car.
Which is logical, because they only had one friday to try them.

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:49
diffuser wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:23
M840TR wrote:

I'm sure it's not just Aero alone.

Most probably a combination of all off the above and getting it to work properly together.

Obviously we have no data to look at. So I don't have any proof that the air that passes internally (under the covers) isn't creating more drag than others but I find that hard to believe. RBR and Renault tend to be able to run less wing. Which tells me they're generating DF elsewhere.

I don't think that Mclaren run that much more rake than those 2 that they're shedding enough of the drag.