2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:
15 May 2018, 20:39
mclaren111 wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:49
diffuser wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:23

AGREED, they're not getting the DF out of the diffuser and having to compensate with wing and other "more draggy" DF.

I'm sure it's not just Aero alone.

Most probably a combination of all off the above and getting it to work properly together.

Obviously we have no data to look at. So I don't have any proof that the air that passes internally (under the covers) isn't creating more drag than others but I find that hard to believe. RBR and Renault tend to be able to run less wing. Which tells me they're generating DF elsewhere.

I don't think that Mclaren run that much more rake than those 2 that they're shedding enough of the drag.
No one here does. It's just the same year after year, everyone has their own little way of trying to bad mouth McLaren. Even the Honda fans are still here.
F1 is dead.

RonDennis

McG wrote:
15 May 2018, 20:52
diffuser wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

Most probably a combination of all off the above and getting it to work properly together.

Obviously we have no data to look at. So I don't have any proof that the air that passes internally (under the covers) isn't creating more drag than others but I find that hard to believe. RBR and Renault tend to be able to run less wing. Which tells me they're generating DF elsewhere.

I don't think that Mclaren run that much more rake than those 2 that they're shedding enough of the drag.
No one here does. It's just the same year after year, everyone has their own little way of trying to bad mouth McLaren. Even the Honda fans are still here.
Stop crying. People that are critical aren't automatically Honda fans or McLaren haters. I'm a fan, but so far this season has been very disappointing.

diffuser

I know McLaren111 isn't a hater or a basher. He just has his opinion. I respect him for that.

makecry

BrunoH wrote:
13 May 2018, 23:20
A normal race for Mclaren to be honest, there is no magical updates as said before. there are 2 championships, the top 3 teams are in one, and then the rest. and Mclaren seems behind Haas and Renault.
Not really normal. He got boxed in at the start, got stuck behind Leclerc which was like 1.3-1.5seconds per lap slower for 40+ laps and spent 40 laps within 2 seconds of Leclerc in his dirty air. He would have finished over a minute further had he not gotten stuck behind Leclerc for so long. The race was anything but normal.

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
15 May 2018, 22:36
I know McLaren111 isn't a hater or a basher. He just has his opinion. I respect him for that.

Thanks for that.

I am a McLaren fan since 1988 and will stand by them until forever - good and bad times !! !!

Our current form is disapointing, but with the late change to Renault the first part of the season was always going to be difficult. As many others have stated, this will be a building year and I am really looking forward to second half of the season and 2019.

I like the new Rear Suspension and really hope they can get it working well.

I think PP will get us there soon.

M840TR

makecry wrote:
16 May 2018, 01:31
BrunoH wrote:
A normal race for Mclaren to be honest, there is no magical updates as said before. there are 2 championships, the top 3 teams are in one, and then the rest. and Mclaren seems behind Haas and Renault.
Not really normal. He got boxed in at the start, got stuck behind Leclerc which was like 1.3-1.5seconds per lap slower for 40+ laps and spent 40 laps within 2 seconds of Leclerc in his dirty air. He would have finished over a minute further had he not gotten stuck behind Leclerc for so long. The race was anything but normal.
Underrated race. Still finished 3 seconds behind Sainz

Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
16 May 2018, 11:23
makecry wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
Underrated race. Still finished 3 seconds behind Sainz
Carlos had a fuel pressure problem towards the end, according to Cyril, had to lift off at turn 3. Just read that on motorsport.com. But without a doubt, race was negatively affected by being stuck behind LeClerc for so long.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Nonserviam85

McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:

I believe the McLaren fans (myself included) have been more critical this year than any. All this after McLaren senior management overhyping the season and shifting all the blame to Honda.

bauc

mclaren111 wrote:
16 May 2018, 10:50
diffuser wrote:

Thanks for that.

I am a McLaren fan since 1988 and will stand by them until forever - good and bad times !! !!

Our current form is disapointing, but with the late change to Renault the first part of the season was always going to be difficult. As many others have stated, this will be a building year and I am really looking forward to second half of the season and 2019.

1997 was the indoctrination year for me :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

stevesingo

makecry wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
Well, if you look at the way the race panned out with the VSC, when the VSC ended, ALO was immediately past LEC, so the outcome would have been the same, save maybe a little extra tyre performance and possible more fuel due not trying to pass LEC for 33 laps.

Then again, if ALO got ahead of LEC immediately after the SC restart, as well as OCN, then it is quite conceivable that upon VSC restart, ALO would have been right behind SAI and jumped him the same way as he jumped LEC.

We would then be talking about a 7th place finish not an 8th. But, none of that happened. ALO lost places in the opening few corners and from there any chance of a decent, representative result was gone in GRO's tyre smoke.

Had he maintained position at the start, he would have been ahead of SAI and cone VSC he could have been on MAG's tail.

Top and bottom of it is, Catalunya is a poor circuit for F1 racing and if you lose out at the start as ALO did, you are screwed.

Alonso Fan

bauc wrote:
16 May 2018, 16:31
mclaren111 wrote:
16 May 2018, 10:50
diffuser wrote:

Thanks for that.

1997 was the indoctrination year for me :mrgreen:
I'm more of a drivers' guy rather than a team guy... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

McG

RonDennis wrote:
15 May 2018, 21:30
McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Stop crying. People that are critical aren't automatically Honda fans or McLaren haters. I'm a fan, but so far this season has been very disappointing.
Then I'm not talking to you so why jump in like you have some point to prove.

It's the wild speculation and unfounded claims by people who have zero knowledge I'm talking about.

You're not happy about McLaren taking a massive step forward even with a brand new engine partner. Who's the one crying.
F1 is dead.

McG

Nonserviam85 wrote:
16 May 2018, 16:00
McG wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I believe the McLaren fans (myself included) have been more critical this year than any. All this after McLaren senior management overhyping the season and shifting all the blame to Honda.
Stop crying. It's welcome step in the right direction after 3 years of crap. Don't take PR too seriously, or don't believe the hype. Just watch the damn race!
F1 is dead.

Benii6

Norris just did 1:18.039 on mediums. Thats only 3 tenths off Alonso in Q3 with softs.

EDIT: On a second thought, I'm not sure if it was on mediums.

Ground Effect

Benii6 wrote:
16 May 2018, 18:16
Norris just did 1:18.039 on mediums. Thats only 3 tenths off Alonso in Q3 with softs.

EDIT: On a second thought, I'm not sure if it was on mediums.
Softs
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.