2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
17 May 2018, 15:03
RonDennis wrote:
17 May 2018, 14:53
Haas were always going to be good in Barcelona. They didn't even bring any (major) updates. Let's hope the next few updates will get them there.
If the "last year Ferrari" claims are accurate, then they should be hard to beat in Monaco as well...
Fortunately, Monaco is a place where a good driver can make a difference even if the car is not top notch, so hoping Alonso can put the car p5/p6
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

nirvaand
nirvaand

bauc wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:05
Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
17 May 2018, 14:53
Haas were always going to be good in Barcelona. They didn't even bring any (major) updates. Let's hope the next few updates will get them there.
If the "last year Ferrari" claims are accurate, then they should be hard to beat in Monaco as well...
Fortunately, Monaco is a place where a good driver can make a difference even if the car is not top notch, so hoping Alonso can put the car p5/p6
True, but that will take some performance from him. Red Bull and Ferrari will be strong. Possible to qualify ahead of a Merc I would say. But it'll have to be a mega lap.

bauc

nirvaand wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:23
bauc wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:05
Ground Effect wrote:

True, but that will take some performance from him. Red Bull and Ferrari will be strong. Possible to qualify ahead of a Merc I would say. But it'll have to be a mega lap.
I agree, but if he can qualify P8 at Barcelona, then we can hope for more at track like Monaco
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

PhillipM
PhillipM

Monaco is going to be who can get the ultra's working over one lap, not something Mclaren have been great with so far.

dp12
dp12

Hey, Does anyone know anything about the Monaco updates????

f1universe
f1universe

Renault maybe with a lot of question marks but I think Haas is significantly ahead.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:42
Monaco is going to be who can get the ultra's working over one lap, not something Mclaren have been great with so far.
Hypersofts are making their race debut in Monaco. Mclaren tested the heck out of those tyres in pre season, I hope they have sufficient data to give them an advantage. Haas didn't use the hypersofts at all, don't know if they did this week. I'd be happy with a row 4 lock out, even that will be tough, Renault bringing updates as well.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

For Monaco I really have mixed feelings. From one side I'm positive since the driver can make a big difference, from the other side I'm really grounded since Monaco is all about mechanical grip and all about being able to switch on the tires for that one lap since it's a train race (as our fellow members underlined). I don't know in what level the car is, regarding mechanical grip and as for switching on the tires I'm concerned since in the 1st races there were big struggles on this segment that led to very poor qualifying appearances. Let's hope they can get it right, since the driver has to have confidence in order to attack, something that wasn't there in 2016 for example.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ALO_Power wrote:
17 May 2018, 19:54
For Monaco I really have mixed feelings. From one side I'm positive since the driver can make a big difference, from the other side I'm really grounded since Monaco is all about mechanical grip and all about being able to switch on the tires for that one lap since it's a train race (as our fellow members underlined). I don't know in what level the car is, regarding mechanical grip and as for switching on the tires I'm concerned since in the 1st races there were big struggles on this segment that led to very poor qualifying appearances. Let's hope they can get it right, since the driver has to have confidence in order to attack, something that wasn't there in 2016 for example.
Very true, but the good news is they've said they'll bring a fairly significant upgrade to Monaco. Let's hope they address the obvious current weaknesses.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

ollandos
ollandos

some info about monaco ....

last year best mclaren time on Q it was 1.13.249 from stoffel on Q2 ..both cars in Q3 pole time from kimi 1.12 178...gap 1.071....this year with current pace of the car ..normaly mclaren it will be 0.5-0.7 from pole ...with out any gain from more updates and ..alonso on wheel .../.. my view is something like 0.6 gap ..is the normal and any other is on hands of alonso with any help from updates...monaco is unigue .and even podium is possible ..the most importal is to avoid the traffic ....and any crash on fp1-2-3 ..easy any mistake there can route for PU and gearbox change ..and that cost the race...the good news ..one haas have penalty ..and this car it was on pole last year ...with no mistakes and little luck even win is possible there ..

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

ollandos wrote:
17 May 2018, 21:27
some info about monaco ....

last year best mclaren time on Q it was 1.13.249 from stoffel on Q2 ..both cars in Q3 pole time from kimi 1.12 178...gap 1.071....this year with current pace of the car ..normaly mclaren it will be 0.5-0.7 from pole ...with out any gain from more updates and ..alonso on wheel .../.. my view is something like 0.6 gap ..is the normal and any other is on hands of alonso with any help from updates...monaco is unigue .and even podium is possible ..the most importal is to avoid the traffic ....and any crash on fp1-2-3 ..easy any mistake there can route for PU and gearbox change ..and that cost the race...the good news ..one haas have penalty ..and this car it was on pole last year ...with no mistakes and little luck even win is possible there ..
True. Last year though Stoffel looked very mighty in Monaco before the crash. Alonso wasn't there so we can't know what was the full potential of MCL32 at that race but let's see now.

diffuser

dren wrote:
17 May 2018, 13:20
Haas was a good bit ahead of Mclaren and Renault at Catalonia.
.045 in quali, The race ALo got stuck in traffic.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
18 May 2018, 02:35
dren wrote:
17 May 2018, 13:20
Haas was a good bit ahead of Mclaren and Renault at Catalonia.
.045 in quali, The race ALo got stuck in traffic.
Haas pulled away from Carlos Sainz Renault though

MakAsp
MakAsp

Norris looked like he beat Vandoornes qualifying time for Barcelona in testing on the second day by quite a margin. Given he’s never driven this Renault powered car before would hope to assume that difference is car upgrade related?

nirvaand
nirvaand

MakAsp wrote:
18 May 2018, 08:43
Norris looked like he beat Vandoornes qualifying time for Barcelona in testing on the second day by quite a margin. Given he’s never driven this Renault powered car before would hope to assume that difference is car upgrade related?
Maybe McLaren found a better set-up and extracted more performance, because as far as I'm aware, McLaren didn't run any new parts in testing. But the biggest factor is track evolution, wind, fresh engine, and possibly traffic.