2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

MakAsp wrote:
18 May 2018, 08:43
Norris looked like he beat Vandoornes qualifying time for Barcelona in testing on the second day by quite a margin. Given he’s never driven this Renault powered car before would hope to assume that difference is car upgrade related?
Norris is probably just better, just look at how he did last year in Hungary.

Vasconia

bauc wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:05
Ground Effect wrote:
17 May 2018, 15:03
RonDennis wrote:
17 May 2018, 14:53
Haas were always going to be good in Barcelona. They didn't even bring any (major) updates. Let's hope the next few updates will get them there.
If the "last year Ferrari" claims are accurate, then they should be hard to beat in Monaco as well...
Fortunately, Monaco is a place where a good driver can make a difference even if the car is not top notch, so hoping Alonso can put the car p5/p6
I dont think that Alonso is particularly mighty on this track but I take it for granted that he will be in Q3.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Vasconia wrote:
18 May 2018, 10:46
bauc wrote:
17 May 2018, 16:05
Ground Effect wrote:
17 May 2018, 15:03

If the "last year Ferrari" claims are accurate, then they should be hard to beat in Monaco as well...
Fortunately, Monaco is a place where a good driver can make a difference even if the car is not top notch, so hoping Alonso can put the car p5/p6
I dont think that Alonso is particularly mighty on this track but I take it for granted that he will be in Q3.
On the contrary, I think he's pretty good around Monaco
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

dren

RonDennis wrote:
18 May 2018, 10:07
MakAsp wrote:
Norris looked like he beat Vandoornes qualifying time for Barcelona in testing on the second day by quite a margin. Given he’s never driven this Renault powered car before would hope to assume that difference is car upgrade related?
Norris had better times in the IMSA race than Alonso did if I remember right. I think he might be the real deal.
Honda!

nirvaand
nirvaand

dren wrote:
18 May 2018, 12:23
RonDennis wrote:
MakAsp wrote:
Norris had better times in the IMSA race than Alonso did if I remember right. I think he might be the real deal.
Can't compare times from different stages of the race. But yes Lando was extremely quick, especially in the wet during the night. He definitely adapted extremely well, and his young age also helps that.

He is extremely quick but only McLaren knows if he is quicker than Stoffel or not. But IMO if Fernando stays, Stoffel will stay too. Fernando likes Stoffel and I'm pretty sure he will have a say if it comes down to choosing between Lando and Stoffel.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

nirvaand wrote:
18 May 2018, 12:42
dren wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Can't compare times from different stages of the race. But yes Lando was extremely quick, especially in the wet during the night. He definitely adapted extremely well, and his young age also helps that.

He is extremely quick but only McLaren knows if he is quicker than Stoffel or not. But IMO if Fernando stays, Stoffel will stay too. Fernando likes Stoffel and I'm pretty sure he will have a say if it comes down to choosing between Lando and Stoffel.
I think Lando is Fernando's replacement, when he does retire. But it would be nice if he could get loaned out to another team. Unfortunately, Mclaren don't have a B team
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Stoffel will undoubtably keep his seat this year, but he needs to start performing if he’s going to keep it next year.

No body expects him to beat Alonso, and I guess we don’t know what upgrades are in each car, but if the gap is consistantly .5 or more on same spec and it costs McLaren 4th then ultimately he’s not good enough for F1.

He did well for year 1, but he has the experience now so no excuses

nirvaand
nirvaand

Plus, there is more news on the Renault engine. The updated engine coming to Canada is reportedly worth anywhere around 0.5s according to Renault, however, the updated MGU-K that was supposed to come is being delayed due to reliability issues (won't affect the new engine coming to Canada though). The new engine could really boost McLaren's performance.

McHonda
McHonda

the EDGE wrote:
18 May 2018, 17:14
Stoffel will undoubtably keep his seat this year, but he needs to start performing if he’s going to keep it next year.

No body expects him to beat Alonso, and I guess we don’t know what upgrades are in each car, but if the gap is consistantly .5 or more on same spec and it costs McLaren 4th then ultimately he’s not good enough for F1.

We do as Stoff mentions it when they're not equal.

diffuser

McHonda wrote:
18 May 2018, 17:43
the EDGE wrote:
18 May 2018, 17:14

We do as Stoff mentions it when they're not equal.
Remember it took Mag a few years....Think he's hitting his stride now, Mag that is...

What to do about Stoff next year, if he doesn't improve, isn't gonna be easy. There is probably a 90% chance that Lando wouldn't be much better next year. Think the odds are better on Stoff being better.

mwillems

There is also the marketing aspect. Lando is a popular driver I think, certainly in the UK.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

nirvaand wrote:
18 May 2018, 17:35
Plus, there is more news on the Renault engine. The updated engine coming to Canada is reportedly worth anywhere around 0.5s according to Renault, however, the updated MGU-K that was supposed to come is being delayed due to reliability issues (won't affect the new engine coming to Canada though). The new engine could really boost McLaren's performance.
So, is Renault still running the 2016-spec MGU-K?

nirvaand
nirvaand

Nonserviam85 wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:15
nirvaand wrote:
18 May 2018, 17:35
So, is Renault still running the 2016-spec MGU-K?
Yup

diffuser

dren wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
MakAsp wrote:
There is a psychological aspect to this too. Norris is running the same hardware race in race out and he's being successful, he comes in up beat.

Stoff is having it handed to him in a bag by Alonso and he just sits wondering "how does he do it ?"

marmer
marmer

Might be worse than that if he can see Alonso's data and see how he does it but just can't bring himself to match it. Alonso seems to have an ability to destroy his teammates with the exception being Hamilton