2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GoranF1

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

dp12 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:49
Do you think they've set the car more towards the race????
No, they made a wrong decidion to switch to Renault.
I am not saying that because of latest Honda PU, but because that decidion was simply too late and it compromised this car to unfixble degree.
They should of stick whit Honda, and have stronger results in later part of 2018.
I can't see Alonso stay in 2019.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

jk-27

Shader wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:52
It's time to face the music. Dumping honda was a HUGE failure from McLaren management. Outpaced by ... pretty much everyone... Honda and Renault a side, the car is very, Very, compromised. Greetings to Matt Morris and his comments on great engine integration and no compromises... We have new Williams here.
I have to agree with everything you have said, as sad as it is to say.

Bouillier needs to be fired. McLaren's downturn coincided with his hiring by the team. How no one at McLaren has recognised this is beyond me.

BrunoH

They complicate things, they have the most useless complicated aero just for the sake of having new stuff... they need to get rid of the vast junk. coming into canada with top sidepods vortices said it all... what a fail.

that Boulier need to go, said it for the past 3 years! i dont understand why the hell he is kept there.
they need to go after some Force india staff they do so good with a lot less... aff just total disaster.

proteus

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:43
dp12 wrote:
Don't worry free tyre choice start on US
Are you stupid? Don't worry? They are slower than Sauber, S-A-U-B-E-R.
S-A-U-B-E-R has a massive cash injection in this season. And i am not looking for excuses. This result today is very very poor indeed. So far in this season Mclaren was in points at every race with atleast one car which is good. The worrying thing is Renault and others are starting to outperform them. Maybe they improve tomorrow an score points again, but something has to be done with qualifying pace.

The fact that the whole pack is clustered together inside 1,5 seconds doesnt help either. I believe the reason for problems are completely in the opposite side. The team is now fully owned and financed by people who are not really knowing much about racing and running a racing team. Having tons of money doesnt mean much if u throw it arround without proper experience. Ron Dennis was a man who lived for racing and he knew how to operate a racing team, i dont know much about Oijeh, but the main leadership is far far from Ron Dennis and other chiefs in the business....

And this quite might be a nail in the coffin. In my opinion Mclaren firstly needs a british (or european) owner who knows his way in the motorsport. As long as the owners will be only the people whose wealth comes from oil magnats, the team wont work.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Alonso Fan

BrunoH wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:59
They complicate things, they have the most useless complicated aero just for the sake of having new stuff... they need to get rid of the vast junk. coming into canada with top sidepods vortices said it all... what a fail.

that Boulier need to go, said it for the past 3 years! i dont understand why the hell he is kept there.
they need to go after some Force india staff they do so good with a lot less... aff just total disaster.
Who needs force India staff when they can hire the people on this thread who seem to know everything about how the car's aero works and how to run a team?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:02
RonDennis wrote:
dp12 wrote:
S-A-U-B-E-R has a massive cash injection in this season. And i am not looking for excuses. This result today is very very poor indeed. So far in this season Mclaren was in points at every race with atleast one car which is good. The worrying thing is Renault and others are starting to outperform them. Maybe they improve tomorrow an score points again, but something has to be done with qualifying pace.

The fact that the whole pack is clustered together inside 1,5 seconds doesnt help either. I believe the reason for problems are completely in the opposite side. The team is now fully owned and financed by people who are not really knowing much about racing and running a racing team. Having tons of money doesnt mean much if u throw it arround without proper experience. Ron Dennis was a man who lived for racing and he knew how to operate a racing team, i dont know much about Oijeh, but the main leadership is far far from Ron Dennis and other chiefs in the business....

And this quite might be a nail in the coffin. In my opinion Mclaren firstly needs a british (or european) owner who knows his way in the motorsport. As long as the owners will be only the people whose wealth comes from oil magnats, the team wont work.
Agreed
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RonDennis

GoranF1 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:57
dp12 wrote:
I am not saying that because of latest Honda PU, but because that decidion was simply too late and it compromised this car to unfixble degree.
They should of stick whit Honda, and have stronger results in later part of 2018.
Stop making excuses, it has nothing to do with the late switch. The chassis probably hasn't been good in the last 5 years. The switch to Renault was the right one, else they would have still pointed fingers to Honda.

McMika98

So its now very very clear. The car was always piss poor in fast circuits because of the high drag, the whole aero philosphy was to go for more downforce no matter what.
Dont blame engine integration because Toro Rosso with so much less manpower and budget were able to do. Where is the 2 second gains and podiums we were promised? Next few races are going to be a killer.

proteus

BrunoH wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 20:59

What Boulier has to do with the car aero? Is he the one who lookes at the sketch or a new part and decides if it aesthetically pleases him? He is an organiser and a PR person. Boulier is the guy who is the least to blame about a bad car.

And since u mentioned hiring people from other succesfull teams, Mclaren has taken Boulier from a succesfull Lotus which also operated with much less money than top 3 teams and they were competitive at the time.
Last edited by proteus on 09 Jun 2018, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Ground Effect

I think they should just focus on 2019
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Shader

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:06
GoranF1 wrote:
dp12 wrote:
Stop making excuses, it has nothing to do with the late switch. The chassis probably hasn't been good in the last 5 years. The switch to Renault was the right one, else they would have still pointed fingers to Honda.
Agreed... One just needs to see what year did McLaren loose a title sponsor. Honda probably contributed to bad performance, but things started to go down before, with MP4-29. In 2018, things are very much clear now.
Last edited by Shader on 09 Jun 2018, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

RonDennis

proteus wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
dp12 wrote:

Massive cash injection, where do you get those nonsense from? It's a relatively small deal.

The reason why they got points this season was luck and not pace. The pack also isn't clustered together, look at the pace of Renault, they are a full second faster on a 1.10 track.

Do you actually know that Ron Dennis had put this team together? You have no clue what you're talking about.

techman

absolutely , the car was never good and now there a big gap in that chassis is getting exposed. mclaren have a bigger budget than TR and brought a b spec and have more man power with better drivers, so it time mclaren hire some good aero people and work on the car for next year

RonDennis

Shader wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:10
RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:06
GoranF1 wrote:

Agreed... One just needs to see what year did McLaren loose a title sponsor. Honda probably contributed to bad performance, but things started to go down with MP4-29. In 2018, things are very much clear where the problem lies.
They had a title sponsor, Honda. They had plenty of time and money in the last few years to be 4th fastest. Just look at Force India, budget helps, but it all starts with a good staff.

McL-H

proteus wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
dp12 wrote:

Spot on. The team is managed by folks who are clueless about running a racing team. Ron Dennis made McLaren a legendary Formule One team. It used to be an example of how teams should pay attention to detail, the best of the best when it came to mechanical grip. Look now.. traction is horrible, drag is horrible, downforce is horrible.. they are just a shadow of the greatness they once were.

This is the end, guys. McLaren is lost, and just like Williams, they will never become a top team again. Thanks, Mr Ojjeh. Thanks Boullier. Thanks for ruining my team.