2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ollandos

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

i cant find any other reason for this unacceptable pace ...the car has limitations from its desing ...there cant be something else ...on good days mclaren build new car in 2 months if the current has problems ..i dont know now ....i miss really ron dennis.....find the money and make new car ...this is not mclaren ...i am very suprised ..why they dont try something mechanicaly ?..with suspensions and all other parts?...this is not fun watch f1 for mclaren fans ...

RonDennis

ollandos wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:16
i cant find any other reason for this unacceptable pace ...the car has limitations from its desing ...there cant be something else ...on good days mclaren build new car in 2 months if the current has problems ..i dont know now ....i miss really ron dennis.....find the money and make new car ...this is not mclaren ...i am very suprised ..why they dont try something mechanicaly ?..with suspensions and all other parts?...this is not fun watch f1 for mclaren fans ...
Forget about Ron. Don't look back, because Ron is certainly partly to blame for all these problems. He's the one that went for a flat organization without leadership and responsibility. It's just a mess and the Amazon documentary clearly showed how bad everything was managed. Flat organizations don't work in F1. There has to be someone that has a plan, which can be a bad one, but you at least know who's responsible. According to Brown they will change that, but it's not clear how the new organization will look like. I expect more heads to roll in the coming weeks, because the updates clearly haven't been working as well.

Dipesh1995

It’s pretty sad state of affairs at McLaren. It’s become a team thats a shadow of its former self. The people brought in to deliver aren’t delivering and the team doesn’t seem to have a clear direction; just seems like a mess to me. Call me pessimistic if you wish but I can’t see this team being competitive until 2021 at the earliest.... and that’s with the proviso that they’ve brought people who can actually do the job which at the moment, it seems like they don’t have.

JonoNic

Was Jost Capito that man with a plan?
Always find the gap then use it.

Jolle

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:22
ollandos wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:16
Forget about Ron. Don't look back, because Ron is certainly partly to blame for all these problems. He's the one that went for a flat organization without leadership and responsibility. It's just a mess and the Amazon documentary clearly showed how bad everything was managed. Flat organizations don't work in F1. There has to be someone that has a plan, which can be a bad one, but you at least know who's responsible. According to Brown they will change that, but it's not clear how the new organization will look like. I expect more heads to roll in the coming weeks, because the updates clearly haven't been working as well.
Daimler stopped their involvement (and sold their last shares) during the 2012 season, then Ron Dennis took really over again. So what really was the downfall for McLaren was having no backing from a superpower like Mercedes, not just the engine.

So, if they didn't tried to be extra clever with a copy machine, if Alonso didn't email Pedro and if Dennis just would have made the SLS, Mclaren would have dominated F1 for the past five/six years as the official Mercedes team (and AMG would be just tuned up models, the real gems would be the McLaren-Daimler models)

Guess you can call this the result of Mcexit
Last edited by Jolle on 09 Jun 2018, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

JonoNic wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:57
godlameroso wrote:They're .8 seconds faster than they were last year, probably due to the tires.

https://i.imgur.com/f1Plxjb.jpg

This is the reason they're slow I hope to god this piece breaks off in the race so they can have the pace to wind up in the points.
Wow! That flap looks almost perpendicular to the direction of travel.

It's almost like this part works better when you make it look like a wing doesn't it. McLaren just has a little chicken wing, and a drag plate, chickens don't fly :?
Saishū kōnā

Nonserviam85

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:15
Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:01
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:53

Possibly that is the case. Or possibly they royally screwed up something fundamental on the car this year, by being too ambitious and not doing their calculations.

Anyways, All I'm saying is, one track hasn't made redundant the good progress we have made so far this year. Reliability withstanding I think we will finish much higher up the order tomorrow. Some merc engined cars will drop, we look after our tyres and of course, Alonso.
Sorry, but did you realise that Gasly was faster with old spec Honda than both McLarens in the new spec Renault?
Yes, I did.

I think you can have a good car with good power, but if you don't have the ability to lay that power on the ground, you are in trouble. This is Mclarens main issue I believe. This track will be the worst for the Mclaren car.

As for us benefiting from bad luck, we also lost points at Monaco from a good 7th place on merit. Horses for courses.
But if you can not lay the power on the ground then you have a bad car.

Nonserviam85

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:32
JonoNic wrote:
godlameroso wrote:They're .8 seconds faster than they were last year, probably due to the tires.

https://i.imgur.com/f1Plxjb.jpg

This is the reason they're slow I hope to god this piece breaks off in the race so they can have the pace to wind up in the points.
https://i.imgur.com/2Hdh39m.jpg

It's almost like this part works better when you make it look like a wing doesn't it. McLaren just has a little chicken wing, and a drag plate, chickens don't fly :?
I think these are more suitable for the car thread.

godlameroso

The aero in the chicken wing and drag plate are why they're bad, the aero is inconsistent at low speeds so they can't lean on it for extra traction. If they change this area they'll be able to get on the throttle a little sooner, and will gain a few hundredths in every corners. When you add it together it become 3 or 4 tenths of a second. That's if you don't even bother optimizing the rear and just paste on a wing on some rushed out hack job.

I don't get it either, the McLaren car is good, it's a really good car, just one little detail is making their car unstable under braking and accelerating from slow speed corners. Maybe it's not possible to fix it this season, but I guarantee that's where the time is at, furthermore, this part isn't changing at all next year. There should be no fear in wasting resources in a developmentally stable part that is so important to diffuser sealing.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:38
godlameroso wrote:
JonoNic wrote:

Car thread will say, you and your CFD eyes, not knowing I actually have seen this very problem in my line of work. :lol:
Saishū kōnā

proteus

Tomorrow will be interesting to see how will Vandoorne perform. Cars are aparently equal, as what we have seen in the qualifying.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:35
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:15
Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:01

Sorry, but did you realise that Gasly was faster with old spec Honda than both McLarens in the new spec Renault?
Yes, I did.

I think you can have a good car with good power, but if you don't have the ability to lay that power on the ground, you are in trouble. This is Mclarens main issue I believe. This track will be the worst for the Mclaren car.

As for us benefiting from bad luck, we also lost points at Monaco from a good 7th place on merit. Horses for courses.
But if you can not lay the power on the ground then you have a bad car.
At some tracks, yes. It's all relative. Not saying Aero isn't a problem either, but that I forgive because I think they will work the car from the nose backwards. Unfortunately we are five races behind in that. No idea what happened IRL, but you'd think Goss would also have oversight of the rigidity of the nose and its ability to pass first time, as well as the suspension. But it's interesting to think that if we had the nose in Aus, would we be fretting about the Aero and the car as much? In a few races time we will know if they have a clear strategy to push the car forwards.

Or the money.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

godlameroso wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:44
Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:38
godlameroso wrote:

Car thread will say, you and your CFD eyes, not knowing I actually have seen this very problem in my line of work. :lol:
Is it possible that the nose is doing it's job correctly, but that the parts behind haven't evolved in such a way yet, that this air would actually be problematic to the airflow around the car? So they won't change the nose, but not ready to develop behind it yet, and so have just blocked it off, however crude the solution might be?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ALO_Power

I don't know what to say really. The terrible qualifying appearances just returned and are worse than ever. Also, slower than sauber? How can this be even possible. The car must be super duper draggy and this showed incredibly in Canada. This is really really unacceptable. In the race, I guess it will be better, the long runs were similar to the midfield and close to 4th best I think. That's very awkward.

PhillipM

Very easy, it was tight in terms of timings and they've got the same problem in getting the hypersoft to work properly. They look fine on the harder tyres.
Combine that with a traction heavy circuit where they struggle and you have what most people were expecting. Their race pace looks to have taken a small step forward however.