2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

GoranF1 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 09:10
godlameroso wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 23:34
Ground Effect wrote:
20 Jul 2018, 22:58

You're referring to the long run pace, right?
Correct.
Actualy race pace quite a bit better than Q pace.
Is it going to rain today?
I'm hoping against hope that their intense testing programme compromised their qualy and long run sims. Maybe there's still 2 or 3 tenths they can extract?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Albert Fabrega : McLaren has worked tonight outside the time allowed to assemble new pieces that arrived yesterday night and to be able to test them today in free practice 3.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6517327874

diffuser

BrunoH wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 11:09
question, everyone seems to think that the problem with the Mclaren is mechanical/ low traction ( suspension design etc ) however, everytime it rained and Alonso went out... he was on the top of the timesheets.... now if its wet its always low grip / traction. it wold be good to see a real qualy in the rain to mesure... what do you guys think about this?
So we all agree its low speed traction leading to the use of more aero DF. We are not all in agreement with regards to if we think mechanical grip has anything to do with it. McLaren claim its solely aero.

So when you think about McLaren running more DF which leads to TOP SPEED penalty...that top speed penalty is mitigated in the rain for obvious reasons. That is, in the rain, they get all of the gain from the extra DF and none of the pain. Not to mention that any lack of power from the PU is also neutralized.

So yes...it would be interesting.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

M840TR wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 11:28
Albert Fabrega : McLaren has worked tonight outside the time allowed to assemble new pieces that arrived yesterday night and to be able to test them today in free practice 3.

Not much to test now in wet conditions tho :/

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ALO_Power wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 12:28
M840TR wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 11:28

Not much to test now in wet conditions tho :/
I'm assuming these parts weren't planned to be run in the race? Probably in preparation for Hungary?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

M840TR
M840TR

Seems like almost everything in practice was about preparing for Hungary.

max_speed
max_speed

this car is a pig running in the race of horses.i have not seen any improvement in mclaren situation since barcelona. season is over better they focus on 2019

nzjrs

Any idea what is going on with Stoffel's car?

Chanman141
Chanman141

nzjrs wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 16:22
Any idea what is going on with Stoffel's car?
I think I read on Autosport live updates that it was a shift issue

MtthsMlw

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

We all hope he finds his speed, but he's been struggling for a while now. He's 10-0 down in qualifying against Fernando this year, 27-3 including 2017 races In 2 of those weekends, Fernando was going to start last due to penalties, he only comprehensively beat Fernando in qualifying at Malaysia 2017. I really hope he picks up, because I believe he and Lando are the long term future of Mclaren. Mclaren shouldn't have to offer $20M trying to get Ricciardo, if Stoffel was performing, they would be set, regardless of what Fernando does next year.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Maybe Stoffel requires a new chassis

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Maybe Stoffel requires a new chassis

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... n-1062372/

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 12:03
BrunoH wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 11:09
question, everyone seems to think that the problem with the Mclaren is mechanical/ low traction ( suspension design etc ) however, everytime it rained and Alonso went out... he was on the top of the timesheets.... now if its wet its always low grip / traction. it wold be good to see a real qualy in the rain to mesure... what do you guys think about this?
So we all agree its low speed traction leading to the use of more aero DF. We are not all in agreement with regards to if we think mechanical grip has anything to do with it. McLaren claim its solely aero.

So when you think about McLaren running more DF which leads to TOP SPEED penalty...that top speed penalty is mitigated in the rain for obvious reasons. That is, in the rain, they get all of the gain from the extra DF and none of the pain. Not to mention that any lack of power from the PU is also neutralized.

So yes...it would be interesting.
Did Mclaren say it is solely aero? They said they have a correlation issue. Ivan then said it wasnt exactly correlation. This makes me think the way the car is maintaining contact with the ground isnt what they expect.

Canada for instance, they ran a particularly hard suspension.... i do.wonder if the suspension causes the car to move too much and causes the floor to stop working. This is something they might find hard to test in a wind tunnel.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

BrunoH
BrunoH

i was really wishing we could have seen wet qualy.. for sure even to them might had helped to see if the issues are more mechanical or aero or whatever... i was very keen to check how they performed in the wet. If in the wet the car was top 6 in qualy then for sure it wold be aero related.