2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
M840TR

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Del Boy wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 17:42
godlameroso wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 15:20
RonDennis wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 13:09

Running more wing could be a solution for a lack of mechnical grip. They're having problems at lower speeds, which suggests they lack mechnical grip as well.
Mechanical grip, in other words grip provided by the suspension and the mechanical aspects of the car isn't and hasn't been the problem. It's getting the aero to work at lower speeds, they can't with their current setup so they have no low speed grip. Let's say for ships and giggles that the Red Bull makes between 5-10kg more downforce below 100km/h than the McLaren, and 15kg more downforce at 120km/h, and 30kg more at 140km/h, then 20kg more at 160km/h and between 180-220 the downforce is a wash, but after 220 the McLaren has more drag because it has to run higher wing angles to make up for the downforce deficit in low speeds(because that's where you gain and lose the most time).
If you're losing .3 seconds in the slow stuff because your downforce isn't kicking in yet, while another car is already making useful downforce you're going to get dusted. But you could be right, and it's just a platform issue.
Surely the aerodynamic part that is not working is the rear diffuser, that's the holy grail of downforce because its comes drag free (apart from a small amount of friction and tyre resistance).
That's not how it works...

godlameroso

Del Boy wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 13:09

Running more wing could be a solution for a lack of mechnical grip. They're having problems at lower speeds, which suggests they lack mechnical grip as well.
Mechanical grip, in other words grip provided by the suspension and the mechanical aspects of the car isn't and hasn't been the problem. It's getting the aero to work at lower speeds, they can't with their current setup so they have no low speed grip. Let's say for ships and giggles that the Red Bull makes between 5-10kg more downforce below 100km/h than the McLaren, and 15kg more downforce at 120km/h, and 30kg more at 140km/h, then 20kg more at 160km/h and between 180-220 the downforce is a wash, but after 220 the McLaren has more drag because it has to run higher wing angles to make up for the downforce deficit in low speeds(because that's where you gain and lose the most time).
If you're losing .3 seconds in the slow stuff because your downforce isn't kicking in yet, while another car is already making useful downforce you're going to get dusted. But you could be right, and it's just a platform issue.
Surely the aerodynamic part that is not working is the rear diffuser, that's the holy grail of downforce because its comes drag free (apart from a small amount of friction and tyre resistance).
Mostly true I suppose, it also has to do with how air is conditioned upstream. You're guiding air along the whole length of the car, and there are various flow structures that have to interact with the body work while maintaining their integrity. Something they're doing is limiting the onset and stability of their intended flow structures, I apologize for lack of specific terms as I don't know all the details, just the effects. It's similar to the problems Williams is having, albeit not as severe, and the car is still good in other ways, enough to be firmly in the mid field. I'm certain when they get their issues sorted out the car will be much better, will it win, probably not, but it'll definitely be closer to the front.

Another wasted season, but that's the price you pay to set things right, a lot of this was self imposed and a long time coming.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 18:02
Del Boy wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

That's not how it works...
No way you have downforce without a drag penalty, that's true, the diffuser is ultimately what isn't working as well as it should be, and you can't discount that either.
Saishū kōnā

Chicane

He has had a double lung transplant and has had health issues for some time add to it his age. His resignation isn't surprising.
Quickshifter

M840TR

I'l wait for more sources to verify the story just in case...

M840TR

Mclaren has denied Ojjeh’s exit from the team in any capacity.

hpras

It was written by Sylt...

cyclon

Article is harsh!
But yes, it is the last chapter of Dennis Departure...
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

M840TR

cyclon wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:36
Article is harsh!
It's bullcrap. Got proven wrong and now deleted.

M840TR

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown says the team is open to “opportunities” to bring its new technical director James Key to the team from Toro Rosso as soon as possible.
“We have a plan,” he said. “We obviously knew his current employment situations and are completely comfortable working around that situation.”
“We have done some restructuring, we’re doing some hiring, we’re not done yet, so we’re just head down operating according to the internal plan that we have,” said Brown.
“We have some other things we’re doing in the technical department. So I think that will become clear later in the year, what ultimately we’re going to do as far as give birth to the MCL34.”
https://www.racefans.net/2018/08/07/374 ... y-earlier/

Not to take anything away from the James Key situation but it's the first time we're officially hearing the name for next year's car...
Last edited by M840TR on 07 Aug 2018, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

McL-H

M840TR wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:50
cyclon wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:36
Article is harsh!
It's bullcrap. Got proven wrong and now deleted.
Too bad.. he’s the main reason to McLaren’s current results.

godlameroso

Who is?
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 17:19
Who is?
I believe Mansour Ojjeh is being referred to.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

zoroastar

what title does Ojjeh carry at mclaren anyway? i thought that he was just a major shareholder. and i wonder how much he meddles in team building?