2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

M840TR wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 09:54
mwillems wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 09:44
M840TR wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 13:01

He was reportedly earning around $25m. This would be a very welcome financial development for the team given that any new hires will probably not even make $1m.
Could be that way. Personally I think Sainz has done enough to merit a couple of mil. Especially since he might have had reservations about joining a team who have visibly been in turmoil. On the other hand seats are at a premium and they are still McLaren.

But it's splitting hairs, they will be at least 20 mil up after bonuses which would be great. If only Stroll moved now and we took on Ocon.
I rate Sainz highly but he's no Alonso. Which is why he won't get the big bucks just yet. Vandoorne also needs to seriously step up or make way for Ocon.
I agree almost entirely, I just think that Sainz is not a sub 1 mil driver, I rate him better than that. This is his 5th season, he's had some great performances and he's only 23 so he's a very good driver to have around for the next few years.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect

Very strange by Red Bull, releasing Sainz. I wonder if it's a case of not rating him highly, or just the difficult relationship with Verstappen.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 14:57
Very strange by Red Bull, releasing Sainz. I wonder if it's a case of not rating him highly, or just the difficult relationship with Verstappen.
He's a more complete driver than Gasly for sure, but his chemistry with Verstappen is probably what stopped them from hiring him.

Ground Effect

Ocon being linked with the second seat. What would be the incentive for Mclaren to take a Mercedes junior over theirs? Would this be based purely on performance? I'm not complaining though.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:01
Ocon being linked with the second seat. What would be the incentive for Mclaren to a Mercedes junior over theirs? Would this be based purely on performance? I'm not complaining though.
Proven pace and reliability.

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
Sainz was giving Verstappen a hard time during his time at Toro Rosso, which is the reason why they don't want him. According to the Dutch media they really hated each other. I think it's a great signing.

bauc

Its a solid replacement, it would be interesting to see the battle if Vandorne stays as well
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:05
Ground Effect wrote:
Sainz was giving Verstappen a hard time during his time at Toro Rosso, which is the reason why they don't want him. According to the Dutch media they really hated each other. I think it's a great signing.
I initially believed they were just young and competitive, vying to be the first one to get promoted. With Max getting the nod and winning that battle, I thought it would now be a case of when for Carlos. I thought the main friction was with their dads.

alexx_88

Ocon vs Sainz would be one of the highlights of next year's championship. I rate Ocon very highly, he also beat Max in Formula 3.

Macklaren

alexx_88 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:33
Ocon vs Sainz would be one of the highlights of next year's championship. I rate Ocon very highly, he also beat Max in Formula 3.
The problem with Ocon is that -- speed aside -- he is unlikely to be fully committed to McLaren and will likely have one foot out the door hoping to make the jump to Mercedes. Not sure if McL need that right now...or maybe they do if they just want someone to keep the seat warm for Norris/Alonso in 2020/21.

M840TR

Macklaren wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:38
alexx_88 wrote:
The problem with Ocon is that -- speed aside -- he is unlikely to be fully committed to McLaren and will likely have one foot out the door hoping to make the jump to Mercedes. Not sure if McL need that right now...or maybe they do if they just want someone to keep the seat warm for Norris/Alonso in 2020/21.
They're much happier with Bottas Hamilton partnership. For the next two years at least.

Macklaren

M840TR wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:42
Macklaren wrote:
alexx_88 wrote:
They're much happier with Bottas Hamilton partnership. For the next two years at least.
Maybe...but that's not what Ocon himself is thinking (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... 25/?nrt=54)

I think if Norris ends the F2 season well and wins the championship or finishes a close runner up, he will get the seat.

ALO_Power

M840TR wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 05:26
diffuser wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 20:42
M840TR wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 03:17

I think he'll join at the end of this year. 2021 is too far to make any predictions yet. If they come good in 2019 they'll surely keep developing for the next season given regulations stay stable which means they might be competitive still. Hopefully they've learned from mistakes.
As much as I Love Alo and will feel sorry to have him go, I'd be VERY surprised that he comes back.
One can hope.

As for Alonso, I understand it like this: He knows that he's still on top forms but he can't know for how much longer. He sees that there's no chance to fight for the title in F1 in 2019 so he decided to make a better use of his current form instead of fighting just for some points. He probably wanna win WEC title this year and next year try to chase an Indycar title, Indy 500 victory (to complete the triple crown) and maybe one more WEC title. With those or most of those accomplished maybe he could come back in F1 for another go. It's just a matter of either staying just to score points or try get the triple crown and more titles in other categories under his belt. Imo, that's the best thing he could do. If he had machinery capable of fighting for more titles in F1, for sure that would be the ideal.

Ground Effect

Macklaren wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:47
M840TR wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:42
Macklaren wrote:

Maybe...but that's not what Ocon himself is thinking (https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon ... 25/?nrt=54)

I think if Norris ends the F2 season well and wins the championship or finishes a close runner up, he will get the seat.
Winning the F2 title, or being close shouldn't be a criteria, just look at Stoffel. I think he should have been given Friday practice sessions this year, if he was being considered for next year. If they ended up with Sainz and Ocon, I'll be ecstatic.