2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Macklaren wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:38
alexx_88 wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 15:33
Ocon vs Sainz would be one of the highlights of next year's championship. I rate Ocon very highly, he also beat Max in Formula 3.
The problem with Ocon is that -- speed aside -- he is unlikely to be fully committed to McLaren and will likely have one foot out the door hoping to make the jump to Mercedes. Not sure if McL need that right now...or maybe they do if they just want someone to keep the seat warm for Norris/Alonso in 2020/21.
Ocon will still have to perform and perform well if he wants a seat at Mercedes. Besides if he does move to McLaren he'll gain invaluable experience and we'll see how much performance he can drag out of a McLaren if it's again off the pace and struggling. I hope McLaren develop a better car, but those hopes are tempered by the fact the team needs a rebuild.

As for Alonso ? I'll miss him in F1 and tbh he's out of options as far as getting a race winning car (burned too many bridges). Sounds like he's keeping a foot in the door at McLaren on the off chance they produce something that can win races in 2020. But we shall see.

adrianjordan

I think Stoffel will keep his seat for next season. They will want to have some stability and he's a known quantity to measure Sainz against. They can then decide what to do with Norris the following year.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

diffuser

I like Stoffel But I think he should be the last resort. I even like Chuck Norris (even though I think he's too young) better.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 22:31
I like Stoffel But I think he should be the last resort. I even like Chuck Norris (even though I think he's too young) better.
The "Chuck" thing always throws me off for about 2 secs.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 22:43
diffuser wrote:
16 Aug 2018, 22:31
The "Chuck" thing always throws me off for about 2 secs.
Yip, sounds like most of the Chuck films I have seen. Throw anyone in 2 seconds
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

McG

I wonder what sponsor will be in place of Kimoa, if any.

I also wonder if it was Sainz that rejected Red Bull just like Ricciardo did.

I haven't been paying attention to Sainz vs Hulk but I assume if Sainz is as fast as Hulk then McLaren have succeeded in damage limitation from Alonso leaving.

Waffle should go if he doesn't improve soon. That simple
F1 is dead.

makecry

McG wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 01:34
I wonder what sponsor will be in place of Kimoa, if any.

I also wonder if it was Sainz that rejected Red Bull just like Ricciardo did.

I haven't been paying attention to Sainz vs Hulk but I assume if Sainz is as fast as Hulk then McLaren have succeeded in damage limitation from Alonso leaving.

Waffle should go if he doesn't improve soon. That simple
I dont think Sainz can get half as many points as Alonso has in a car like MCL33. I dont think Hulk would do much better either FWIW.

GhostF1

I'm pretty sure Norris has mentioned if he isn't offered a seat at McLaren this year he will accept any outside offers. Which is why I'm feeling he'll appear at STR and McLaren will retain Vandoorne.

diffuser

GhostF1 wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 03:08
I'm pretty sure Norris has mentioned if he isn't offered a seat at McLaren this year he will accept any outside offers. Which is why I'm feeling he'll appear at STR and McLaren will retain Vandoorne.
The problem I have with Stoffel now is he's like 2.5 years older than Sainz.

sn809

Maybe they gave RBR Norris for Sainz
Just putting it out there lol

Jackles-UK

I would be incredibly surprised if McLaren give any of their rival teams their brightest prospect on a permanent basis just to land a decent midfield driver in Sainz. That would be like Ferrari giving Leclerc to Red Bull just so they can put Gasly in a Haas! The same argument applies to James Key on the technical side.

Personally, I think 5-10 Friday runs for Lando next year alongside a concerted and well-focused effort for the F2 title (as I think George Russell will end up winning that this year) will be a better learning experience for him than being thrown into the deep end of the F1/Red Bull/Honda circus that he’d find himself in at Toro Rosso, even if he’s only there on loan.

GhostF1

Jackles-UK wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 04:25
I would be incredibly surprised if McLaren give any of their rival teams their brightest prospect on a permanent basis just to land a decent midfield driver in Sainz. That would be like Ferrari giving Leclerc to Red Bull just so they can put Gasly in a Haas! The same argument applies to James Key on the technical side.

Personally, I think 5-10 Friday runs for Lando next year alongside a concerted and well-focused effort for the F2 title (as I think George Russell will end up winning that this year) will be a better learning experience for him than being thrown into the deep end of the F1/Red Bull/Honda circus that he’d find himself in at Toro Rosso, even if he’s only there on loan.
Norris is the perfect age to start an F1 career and Toro Rosso is a great place to start fielding that experience. I honestly believe it's the best move for his career if McLaren aren't offering a spot.

bauc

Without Alonso and with two ''young'' drivers in their lineup the pressure will be off from Mclaren to deliver results next year in the prospect of best of the rest, top 3 or something in that lines, thys they can more easily go through their transition process to be ready to fight for the top places come 2021 onwards.

WHAT??? did I say 2021? Yes, F1 is long ball game we all know that.....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

gibells

The pressure is on McLaren to hold on to Norris. If he doesn't sign by the end of September he's free to go anywhere. And I reckon Marko is just biding his time.

M840TR

bauc wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 08:53
Without Alonso and with two ''young'' drivers in their lineup the pressure will be off from Mclaren to deliver results next year in the prospect of best of the rest, top 3 or something in that lines, thys they can more easily go through their transition process to be ready to fight for the top places come 2021 onwards.

WHAT??? did I say 2021? Yes, F1 is long ball game we all know that.....
This is very true and a positive to take from the situation.