2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Looking at Alonso's luck, McLaren could well be fighting for podiums next year. :lol:

diffuser

ScottB wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 13:06
Ultimately, your 'Alonso' grade driver is valuable in a close fight, so this year, Merc and Ferrari are closely matched, so drivers make a difference. For most of the last few years, Merc held an advantage over the rest that any capable driver would likely have brought home the bacon.

Point being, if Mclaren found themselves with a pace advantage in, say, 2021 (which seems like the earliest realistic date for them to be back at the front) then Sainz or Ocon may well be enough to win. Alonso would be good in a close fight, but then by the early 2020s, who is to say that he would still be quicker than whoever Mclaren have in the car by then? 2 or 3 years older and 2 or 3 years away from F1 driving in very different series, or retired completely by then...

It's entirely probably that, given the troubles on the technical side, with Key not likely to have his feet under the desk in time to have any influence on the 2019 car, that it's going to be the post 2021 formula before Mclaren have the opportunity to mount a real challenge, so I think the 'oh he might come back' chat isn't really much different than when they said the same about Button. It lets Mclaren continue an association with a well known, well liked, very marketable asset, but I really doubt we'll ever see Alonso in an F1 car again.

I agree, that's what I basically said.

What would make it easier is, if for example, he told Mclaren I'm DEFINITELY coming back in 2020. In other words a 1 year sabbatical that McLaren were ok with. Then they can plan that. Once you hang up your hat unconditionally, it's a different story, coming back has many pieces that have to fit together.

diffuser

Looks like they want to see what chuck can do ... Lando

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 19:31
I'm wondering if Lando could extend with Mclaren and then go on loan at STR. Maybe the FP sessions are also an advert for the benefit Toro Rosso, to give them an opportunity to evaluate him. If this will help in getting James Key in earlier, it would be great. If they can manage a 2 year loan deal, even better, with Ocon doing the same with Mclaren.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect

A very very very long shot, but maybe Toro Rosso could be interested in both drivers, Lando and Stoffel.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Lucky

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 20:14
diffuser wrote:
I'm wondering if Lando could extend with Mclaren and then go on loan at STR. Maybe the FP sessions are also an advert for the benefit Toro Rosso, to give them an opportunity to evaluate him. If this will help in getting James Key in earlier, it would be great. If they can manage a 2 year loan deal, even better, with Ocon doing the same with Mclaren.
Norris will be in 2019 in McLaren

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:
They said the longest they can hold Key for is 6 months? Whether they get him in Oct or February doesn't make much difference, it's too late for him to get up to speed and have any real impact on the 2019 car. If we were in the month of March or April, 3 months would be huge then.

Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 20:29
Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:
They said the longest they can hold Key for is 6 months? Whether they get him in Oct or February doesn't make much difference, it's too late for him to get up to speed and have any real impact on the 2019 car. If we were in the month of March or April, 3 months would be huge then.
I've always wondered, he could be secretly working on the car now. Can that actually be monitored? He could be contact with Mclaren electronically, sending and receiving correspondence as "Eleanor Rigby"

Jolle

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 21:12
diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

I've always wondered, he could be secretly working on the car now. Can that actually be monitored? He could be contact with Mclaren electronically, sending and receiving correspondence as "Eleanor Rigby"
The position of TD is more one of managing then designing yourself. To do your job you need to be in-between the engineers, talk to them, see their work, coach/guide/push them. It's very difficult or even impossible to do that from a distance and in secret. All you could do is read and review the work that is already been done over the past few years.

Nonserviam85

ScottB wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 14:05
McG wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 13:34
Kimi came back and did alright.
When he was 30, Alonso would be doing it around 40...
Just remember what happened with Michael...

M840TR

Nonserviam85 wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 22:23
ScottB wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 14:05
McG wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 13:34
Kimi came back and did alright.
When he was 30, Alonso would be doing it around 40...
Just remember what happened with Michael...
Schumacher had no motivation to be world champion again and he came after 4 years in completely different cars. Alonso's return talk is for 2020 or 2021 at the most. He'll also be much younger and not have discontinued racing.

M840TR

Hard to think it wasn't orchestrated by the team to compare him with Vandoorne.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Unless they outlaw VPN use I don't see how they could.

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 00:03
Ground Effect wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Unless they outlaw VPN use I don't see how they could.
I'm not sure there is any reason he can not be working on some Mclaren stuff now really.
I do not mean stuff with carryover from what he is doing at STR, but groundwork and catching up on 'history' etc where he will have no input but get the lay of the land.
If he has no productive input, there can be no IP exchange
Payment may not even come into is as they are salary and bonus.

Its like working for a company and reading history or past papers in your own time (as long as it is in his own time, and that is a can of worms :twisted: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.