2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Jolle wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 23:36
RonDennis wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 23:26
Jolle wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 23:14
The report states that they are underperforming as a group and expect to do that in the coming years but anticipate that this will improve. Nowhere does it really states that they are going to use this investment for improving that balance. Don't forget they had to buy out Ron Dennis last year and this is more or less a small part of his old shares. They are more likely hoping that their cashflow will improve due to extra sale of cars and gaining more sponsors. Selling off parts of the company to pay for running costs of your face team is not the most clever thing to do, the other shareholders will know this as well.
Well Latifi is a great addition to McLaren. There was recently an article about him on Autosport, McLaren not only signed him for the money, mighty impressive what the guy did.
Oh I'm not saying this isn't good for McLaren, just cautious that this isn't the solution to their pain yet. These days in F1 you seem to need a billion dollar engineering focused company behind you with lots of funding. With a multimillion dollar private investment group you're no better off then Racing Point or Williams.
True, that's why they're rebuilding right now, everything is mostly aimed at 2021. Without a budget cap McLaren won't win any races and titles. Formula 1 would be in much better state with a budget cap anyway, let's hope they'll put a stop to those B teams as well.

McG

McMika98 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 22:38
Last time i checked RonDennis does not own Mclaren which is a shame and just cause one calls himself RonDennis does not give them the right to decide who can or cannot post. Yes as a lifelong Mclaren fan since the glory days Mika. Sadly there isnt much positive to post apart from bitter truth and calling out the fake stuff that Zak media puts out. Never recalled a a bad dry patch as the last 5 years, the company has been reduced to a laughing stock.
Well suck it up soldier. Your not being much of a supporter the way you're banging on. And your certainly not saying anything new.
F1 is dead.

Jackles-UK

If McLaren can hold onto 6th place in the constructors it would mean a boost of roughly $25m compared to the prize money for their 9th place finish in 2017. Couple that to the loss of Alonso’s salary of $15-25m (depending on which report you read) and that’s already a massive chunk of money to reinvest in development/technical personnel.

I feel next years young driver lineup might end up being more attractive to sponsors than this years too, particularly in the “new age” markets. Lando is hugely popular in the eSports racing world and Carlos obviously has the prestige his surname attracts; if I were company looking to appeal to 18-25 year olds like Rockstar Energy drink then McLaren would be right near the top of the tree.

wunderkind
wunderkind

I hope McLaren can dig themselves out of the hole they are in. But McLaren is looking more and more like Tyrrell. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole if I were a potential sponsor in F1.

Big Tea

McG wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 01:17
McMika98 wrote:
06 Sep 2018, 22:38
Last time i checked RonDennis does not own Mclaren which is a shame and just cause one calls himself RonDennis does not give them the right to decide who can or cannot post. Yes as a lifelong Mclaren fan since the glory days Mika. Sadly there isnt much positive to post apart from bitter truth and calling out the fake stuff that Zak media puts out. Never recalled a a bad dry patch as the last 5 years, the company has been reduced to a laughing stock.
Well suck it up soldier. Your not being much of a supporter the way you're banging on. And your certainly not saying anything new.
TBH, I have been feeling the same way as RonDennis (not the team boss, the poster) because of the Mclaren attitude of - Ah! we are still the Mighty Mclaren and all is well with our car and our team, the fault is elsewhere..

But, and its a big but, they now seem to realise this and are actually doing something about it.

I have (mostly) stopped bickering about them since early this year when it has become clear to them they DO have problems and it is not all someone else's fault and they are out to fix things.

Time to get behind them again now Ron.The point has been made.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

wunderkind wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 07:03
I hope McLaren can dig themselves out of the hole they are in. But McLaren is looking more and more like Tyrrell. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole if I were a potential sponsor in F1.
A totally different situation, Tyrrell ran out of money. McLaren has all the money and resources but still can't make it work.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Considering the resources they have it is amazing how bad they currently are...

RonDennis
RonDennis

wunderkind wrote:
Yeah, totally comparable.

diffuser

At least 3 of those 5 years have been the PU suppliers fault. So step back from the edge.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

wunderkind wrote:
I would say more like 70's/80's Lotus.

McG

Not like Tyrrell, not like Lotus. Have a word with yourself.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

I'm not sure why, if one was looking to advertise in F1, why one wouldn't consider McLaren. For Example, it is rumored that $15M in Sponsorship follows Perez. You think that sponsorship is conditional on Perez not driving for McLaren?

I don't think their issue is the number of advertisers, I think it's the $$$$ those advertisers are willing to pay to be affiliated with McLaren. Obviously less than Merc or Ferrari or the level that McLaren once had. They once had front of the pack money while now they get midfield Plus money and next year will likely start to drop to midfield money. I think the plus came with Alonso, say what you want about him, he has Many followers. Pretty sure the $25 Mil they pay him, paid for itself. Also why they're willing to follow him into Indy. It's no coincidence that Liberty tried to convince RBR to take him. Many of those eyes will turn to watch him at whatever he does next, atleast give it a chance.

Sayeman

diffuser wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 14:56
At least 3 of those 5 years have been the PU suppliers fault. So step back from the edge.
Still blaming Honda?
Never Give up.

Zoom_83

I'm quite new here...but have been reading this for a long time.

I do not have any sources of information or anything of that sort. To me as fan, McLaren are building for the future. Results won't come by a flick of a switch in no time. Everybody knows that the current chassis is under-performing and most probably non-upgradable. They switched attention to the future with the engagement of Fry and later on Key (and only Zak knows what other internal changes were done). So do not expect any change for this season.

I as a fan can only hope that next year with Norris+Sainz, it would be a bit better than this year. I believe McLaren learned the lesson....now let's hope they go back to their winning ways.

Question : I read somewhere that McLaren were working with BMW on an engine for future F1 use. Is it true or just some fiction article to sell papers?

wunderkind
wunderkind

diffuser wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 16:39
It's no coincidence that Liberty tried to convince RBR to take him. Many of those eyes will turn to watch him at whatever he does next, atleast give it a chance.
If Liberty really did ask RBR to take Alonso (kind of contrary to Alonso's claims), then it's purely because Liberty wants a three-way championship battle to spice up the show in 2019.

McLaren should have bought Force India while it was available and then paint the FI's papaya orange and they would have instantly dragged themselves up the ladder. Just kidding.