2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Vasconia wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 09:16
Sorry to ask guys, but which is the reason for the lack of updates since may(according to Alonso)? no money or they are simply 100% focused on next year´s car ?
Because this car is an utter piece of crap. Every penny you throw at it, is one wasted. It has been from day 1.

Didn't really understand the tweet by Fabrega. What should McLaren have done? They have giving up on the 2018 season months ago, so what did he expect, that they would move closer to the front without any development.

Jolle

Vasconia wrote:
Sorry to ask guys, but which is the reason for the lack of updates since may(according to Alonso)? no money or they are simply 100% focused on next year´s car ?
With the admission of Brown a few months ago that it was not just Honda and the changes in management were much to blame, they, in my view, knew or admitted that the problem is the structure within McLaren and several choices made before and for 2018 were not good. The car itself isn't their biggest concern right now, strangely enough.

Money is a part of it and that is obvious for the choices they already made for 2019. At the investment for drivers for instance, they have managed to slash that budget with around 25-30 million with conscious decision that it won't be on the same level as 2018.

Looks like they are going to use 2019 and 2020 for further restructure with additions like Key. Giving themselves two years to build a team, find a PU works partner, develop Norris and find a commercial partner. Basically build a team from scratch.

Vasconia

Jolle wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:19
Vasconia wrote:
With the admission of Brown a few months ago that it was not just Honda and the changes in management were much to blame, they, in my view, knew or admitted that the problem is the structure within McLaren and several choices made before and for 2018 were not good. The car itself isn't their biggest concern right now, strangely enough.

Money is a part of it and that is obvious for the choices they already made for 2019. At the investment for drivers for instance, they have managed to slash that budget with around 25-30 million with conscious decision that it won't be on the same level as 2018.

Looks like they are going to use 2019 and 2020 for further restructure with additions like Key. Giving themselves two years to build a team, find a PU works partner, develop Norris and find a commercial partner. Basically build a team from scratch.
Those adds will need time to build a truly competitive car but I hope they can learn something from 2018 and in 2019 they should be a decent car. At the beginning of this season the car wan´t that terrible so hopefully next year will be better. They will have two young and talented drivers so I am sure they will push for it.

To find a PU works partner would be essential but I am afraid the time for do it for 2021 its over. Isn´t it?

Thank you for the answers guys. =D>

cyclon

Right On !

Except there are good foundations. No from scratch job has to be done!

:)
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Vasconia

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:50
James Key can not arrive soon enough....

We are in desperate need of GOOD Management.
Do we know when will it be ?

cyclon

Vasconia wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:26
Jolle wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Those adds will need time to build a truly competitive car but I hope they can learn something from 2018 and in 2019 they should be a decent car. At the beginning of this season the car wan´t that terrible so hopefully next year will be better. They will have two young and talented drivers so I am sure they will push for it.

To find a PU works partner would be essential but I am afraid the time for do it for 2021 its over. Isn´t it?

Time for 2021 PU is not over if you are already in talks, the problem is the manufacturer to enter F1. 8)
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

Jolle

Vasconia wrote:
Jolle wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

At the beginning of the year the car was terrible... forgot winter testing? It took some teams a few races to understand the tires and their car and from that point on McLaren was dead last.

Vasconia

cyclon wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:30

Time for 2021 PU is not over if you are already in talks, the problem is the manufacturer to enter F1. 8)
Indeed, I was thinking about this.

Jolle

cyclon wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Of course McLaren is maybe, in the true McLaren way, a bit over optimistic regarding getting a better deal. With having their own sportscar business now, a lot of potential partners are impossible. So no Porsche/Audi/VW, no BMW. This leaves companies currently not in the (sport)car business and companies with the engineering capabilities to compete against ChryslerFiat, Renault, Honda and Daimler are very very hard to find.

cyclon

Whenever talking about PU,
talk about politics !

Lot of money there !

:roll:

diffuser

cyclon wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Jolle wrote:

There will not be a works PU partnership for a long time. They just got out of one and you're already dreaming for the next one? Why do you think the next one would be any different than the last one? Renault have always been very fair with the teams they're partnering with. We just need them to up their PU game. They also make for a good measuring stick which is what was sorely missing before.

I don't think there will be new PU reg for atleast another 5 years.

mclaren111

Vasconia wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:29
mclaren111 wrote:

Not at this stage.

RBR said they will not let him go earlier. Someone posted a few weeks ago that there is a rumor that he can start after 6 months from giving notice to RBR. Not sure how accurate that is ??

M840TR

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 16:18
Vasconia wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:29
mclaren111 wrote:

Not at this stage.

RBR said they will not let him go earlier. Someone posted a few weeks ago that there is a rumor that he can start after 6 months from giving notice to RBR. Not sure how accurate that is ??
It's based on the usual duration of gardening leave according to EU laws. Might have some merit.

charliesmithhd

Updated: shows Norris helmet and number, mirror mounted on halo, front wing recolour and extra vane on top of sidepod under horizontal element. Should I do a side on version?