2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zoroastar

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

RonDennis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 01:36
diffuser wrote:
12 Oct 2018, 20:55
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/2960 ... t-ferrari/

Wouldn't that be interesting, even if it was just for the remainder of the year .....
3,582 have signed, wow that's impressive. :lol:

People should have some more respect for Vettel. The only thing Ferrari is missing is Jean Todt.
seems that the pressure is a little too much for the guy. how much do ferrari need to stroke his #1 driver ego for him to feel comfortable when the heat is on? c:

M840TR

RonDennis wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Wouldn't that be interesting, even if it was just for the remainder of the year .....

People should have some more respect for Vettel. The only thing Ferrari is missing is Jean Todt.
It wasn't exactly the team principle crashing into people was it. Strategy mistakes haven't been nearly as costly.

diffuser

RonDennis wrote:
diffuser wrote:

The only thing Ferrari are missing is Alonso!
Oh and they were at 800 yesterday ...

RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 09:45
RonDennis wrote:
diffuser wrote:

It wasn't exactly the team principle crashing into people was it. Strategy mistakes haven't been nearly as costly.
Well, why did he had to overtake? Why wasn't he in pole in Monza? Should I continue. He has been put in these situations by his team. Ferrari is being run by Italians and that clearly shows. I'm not a Vettel fan, but the bashing is getting sad.

McG

RonDennis wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 22:16
M840TR wrote:
14 Oct 2018, 09:45
RonDennis wrote:

Well, why did he had to overtake? Why wasn't he in pole in Monza? Should I continue. He has been put in these situations by his team. Ferrari is being run by Italians and that clearly shows. I'm not a Vettel fan, but the bashing is getting sad.
Ooft racist much.
F1 is dead.

turbof1

Ok, what is a discussion about Ferrari doing here?

Don't answer that, it is rhetorical. Please stay on topic.
#AeroFrodo

godlameroso

Suppose they make a much better car next year, where would it land? A second a lap gain would still have them 1.7 seconds off the leaders. Precisely where they were in Barcelona, impossible that they gain 2.7 seconds over the winter to close the gap. I think they can gain 1.5 from the early focus and maybe another .3 from a better Renault. So with luck, if everything works perfectly they'd be just under a second off the pace. If they can get the ultimate gap within a second it'll be a sucessful season, after that, its just a matter of chipping away.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 23:38
Suppose they make a much better car next year, where would it land? A second a lap gain would still have them 1.7 seconds off the leaders. Precisely where they were in Barcelona, impossible that they gain 2.7 seconds over the winter to close the gap. I think they can gain 1.5 from the early focus and maybe another .3 from a better Renault. So with luck, if everything works perfectly they'd be just under a second off the pace. If they can get the ultimate gap within a second it'll be a sucessful season, after that, its just a matter of chipping away.
I think there's a lot of lap-time to be gained from the "fundamental" problems in the design that have plagued them, as well. We don't know how much exactly, but we know it's significant. Add to that the early development for new regs and it's looking much better, relatively speaking. My main concern is the new team establishing a successful development direction and the Renault engine. Without time & stability there aren't any championships and even if that's sorted and they have good chassis and aero, Renault just seems so far behind with the engine. The steps they make in a year are being made by others twice in one season. On top of that we don't even know how the new Petrobras fuel is, which is so crucial in this formula.

max_speed

Off topic (hint: car painted in red)

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 23:53
godlameroso wrote:
Suppose they make a much better car next year, where would it land? A second a lap gain would still have them 1.7 seconds off the leaders. Precisely where they were in Barcelona, impossible that they gain 2.7 seconds over the winter to close the gap. I think they can gain 1.5 from the early focus and maybe another .3 from a better Renault. So with luck, if everything works perfectly they'd be just under a second off the pace. If they can get the ultimate gap within a second it'll be a successful season, after that, its just a matter of chipping away.
I think there's a lot of lap-time to be gained from the "fundamental" problems in the design that have plagued them, as well. We don't know how much exactly, but we know it's significant. Add to that the early development for new regs and it's looking much better, relatively speaking. My main concern is the new team establishing a successful development direction and the Renault engine. Without time & stability there aren't any championships and even if that's sorted and they have good chassis and aero, Renault just seems so far behind with the engine. The steps they make in a year are being made by others twice in one season. On top of that we don't even know how the new Petrobras fuel is, which is so crucial in this formula.
Who knows? That's why we watch. There is just no way of knowing what McLaren's expectations are for next year or if they will realize those expectations. Never mind what everyone else is going to achieve.

GoranF1

I think Mclaren will do better next year.
They started 2019 development very early.
Problem is they will no longer have top driver.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

BrunoH

i dont think they will do better. They lost the star driver, and they will have a rookie with zero F1 or car development, and Carlos is average.... so even if the car is better, i think results wont.

subcritical71

I have to think they will do better. This years car was rushed out the gate with the switch from Honda, hasn't been developed (according to the drivers) since May, gear ratios are not optimized... These are just what the public knows. If they truly have not developed since May then I would hope those efforts are going towards 2019 instead. I can't imagine they are just sitting back. But who knows, I guess we'll get our first glimpse in testing next February!

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I'm not terribly worried about the power unit, it's clear Renault have not the developed it much this year. Which means that all their effort has been on next year's engine. I'm sure just better integration into the chassis is worth a fair bit of time, plus the extra performance they can wring out of it. Only problem is we don't know how the others will improve, or if Renault will be able to keep pace with Honda's relentless development since Honda doesn't have to split its resources between the engine and chassis.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 16:02
M840TR wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
I'm not terribly worried about the power unit, it's clear Renault have not the developed it much this year. Which means that all their effort has been on next year's engine. I'm sure just better integration into the chassis is worth a fair bit of time, plus the extra performance they can wring out of it. Only problem is we don't know how the others will improve, or if Renault will be able to keep pace with Honda's relentless development since Honda doesn't have to split its resources between the engine and chassis.
They tried to introduce an upgrade but it wasn't reliable. I doubt they're changing the concept again so it'll be an evolution. They just can't seem to find more power reliably enough like others. Even though Cyril says they'll go aggressive on development next season, the other three might again make bigger steps. Then he says they're hoping the 2021 regs come out soon so they can start as early as possible on that formula. Seems like they're planning to freeze work on this v6 for the new one. Doesn't inspire much confidence does it.