2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

VS

Ground Effect

Night and day. But it means Mclaren will be at least one year behind in terms of development on the barge boards and sidepod areas. They'll need to be aggressive with development over the course of the season.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 07:53
Night and day. But it means Mclaren will be at least one year behind in terms of development on the barge boards and sidepod areas. They'll need to be aggressive with development over the course of the season.
Bargeboards are changing next year. It's quite a significant aero revision. Mclaren have a head start on most teams on development and mechanical lessons are worth many tenths as well so it won't be that bad.

M840TR

De Ferran interview with Motorsport Spain:

"I think our performance this year has been a bit variable. Certain circuits and certain conditions have fitted more with our car than others. This weekend, for example, we are a bit more competitive. We have not completely stopped trying to improve the car, understand it, develop it, putting special emphasis on understanding some of the problems that have affected us this year, so we learn something for next year, "he said in Mexico.

"I have many numbers, but none that I can share with you. Sorry. I see numbers every day; we have a daily report. We will see. I think the change in regulations for next year is probably favorable for us, but we are competing against very good teams. I have a lot of respect for our rivals, so we have to wait and see how we got to Barcelona at the beginning of the year, "he adds.

De Ferran was asked by the controversial arrival of James Key , that although McLaren has confirmed, has not yet been carried out.

"Pat is full time. He is the engineering director and Andrea Stella , who is here on the track, is our performance manager. These are the two key guys. They are coordinating all the work that is being done in the factory and on the track. James will be the technical director ", responds the sports director.

And about the problems in the wind tunnel that the Woking have had during this season, De Ferran denies that there is something "completely wrong".

"I do not think there's anything completely wrong. I think that, like in any simulation, it tries to look like reality and is never perfect. A wind tunnel is a simulation of the real world, and the guys are always trying to improve the level of correlation between what happens in the real world and what happens with our engineering tools, including the wind tunnel, "he says.
https://es.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... 1/3204714/

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 11:33
Ground Effect wrote:
Bargeboards are changing next year. It's quite a significant aero revision. Mclaren have a head start on most teams on development and mechanical lessons are worth many tenths as well so it won't be that bad.
Not sure the lowering of the height of the bardgeboards will have a big effect. However, RBR, have to fit a Honda PU that takes up alot of space above the PU that they're gonna have to make room for somewhere else. They're ahead of the game in that they probably have their own people working with the STR people heading up that project for this year.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 15:07
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Not sure the lowering of the height of the bardgeboards will have a big effect. However, RBR, have to fit a Honda PU that takes up alot of space above the PU that they're gonna have to make room for somewhere else. They're ahead of the game in that they probably have their own people working with the STR people heading up that project for this year.
They're also longer. But the big change of course is the lack of outwash from the FW and how much focus goes into tyre wake management.
Reliability is still a big question mark for Honda. TR run the most extreme cooling packing on the grid and still haven't gone 7 races on 1 PU. If RB can stretch the packaging like this year without comprising reliability, it'll be a monumental achievement. I wouldn't bet on it though.
By the way, Gil sounds kinda cautiously optimistic about Mcl34.

PhillipM

diffuser wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 15:07

Not sure the lowering of the height of the bardgeboards will have a big effect.
It's not just height, their bounding box has been repositioned, they're going to be closer to the wheel and further from the sidepod intakes, which is why the intakes will be/have been revised.

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 15:32

They're also longer.
Hmmm, I think RBR is actually 27MM shorter. That is a wash in my opinion. Like I said yesterday, instead of making the wheelbase longer, they pushed the sidepods back ~6" (150mm).

godlameroso

M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
They aren't changing dramatically. The curved part that McLaren has where the bargeboard connects to the chassis won't be allowed as is, as the max height of the bargeboard will be lower(maybe the bargeboard can still attach to the chassis just at a lower point?). The rest of the bargeboard will remain intact, albeit a bit more forward. Will be interesting to see if it requires modifying the t tray extension or the strakes on the leading edge of the floor.
Saishū kōnā

M840TR

godlameroso wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 02:52
M840TR wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

They aren't changing dramatically. The curved part that McLaren has where the bargeboard connects to the chassis won't be allowed as is, as the max height of the bargeboard will be lower(maybe the bargeboard can still attach to the chassis just at a lower point?). The rest of the bargeboard will remain intact, albeit a bit more forward. Will be interesting to see if it requires modifying the t tray extension or the strakes on the leading edge of the floor.
I meant that since the whole FW is being redesigned, how it correlates with the bargeboards to manage outwash might change as well. But who knows. We'll see next year. Hopefully the car isn't as unambitious aero-wise like the current one.

M840TR

Interesting comparison. Wheelbases seem almost the same. But the RB bargeboard sits more backwards due to the sidepod configuration, and forwards where the Mclaren disappointingly doesn't utilize the space just like the floor leading edge.

McG

M840TR wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 17:35
godlameroso wrote:
M840TR wrote:

I meant that since the whole FW is being redesigned, how it correlates with the bargeboards to manage outwash might change as well. But who knows. We'll see next year. Hopefully the car isn't as unambitious aero-wise like the current one.
There was a bit on Sky F1 ages ago this year comparing McLaren using mainly outwash design to Mercedes inwash(?) design.

I don't know if McLaren changed that in season with an eye on collecting data and experience for 2019, but I can't help thinking the teams that use mainly inwash have a head start.

The brake ducts were flatter to the wheel on Merc with some fine details to help air flow. So there's the brake ducts that have to change too.
F1 is dead.

M840TR

McG wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 06:28
M840TR wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 17:35
godlameroso wrote:

There was a bit on Sky F1 ages ago this year comparing McLaren using mainly outwash design to Mercedes inwash(?) design.

I don't know if McLaren changed that in season with an eye on collecting data and experience for 2019, but I can't help thinking the teams that use mainly inwash have a head start.

The brake ducts were flatter to the wheel on Merc with some fine details to help air flow. So there's the brake ducts that have to change too.
Everyone uses outwash design. It's in the regs. Ideally you'll want the strongest y250 but the strength of the inwash varies across the grid. So in that regard some might be using it more than others, however the same basic philosophy with FW is being followed since 09 really.
As for the brakes, Mclaren uses the blown axle harder than everyone else which is why they have bigger ducts. I don't think Merc has one.

McL-H

A lot of big talk again. Rule changes favouring McLaren. Blah-blah-blah.

It will be the same as it has been for 6 damn years! This team is finished and will never recover. They are walking the same road Williams did, and it’s a shame. Thank you, Mansour Ojjeh, for destroying everything Ron Dennis built.

Jolle

McL-H wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 11:02
A lot of big talk again. Rule changes favouring McLaren. Blah-blah-blah.

It will be the same as it has been for 6 damn years! This team is finished and will never recover. They are walking the same road Williams did, and it’s a shame. Thank you, Mansour Ojjeh, for destroying everything Ron Dennis built.
Oh no... a downvote from the McLaren Squad!

No next year will be different! They will not have the slowest PU anymore... oh wait... their drivers are top notch! Oh damn... they have a big budget! Oh uhm... they are selling heritage cars to fund F1.... they have the best marketing guy running the team! Hmmm.. where are the new sponsors... the owners will poor money into the team! This year alone they still need to refinance around 300 mln pounds.

But yeah, the new FW is going to save them.