2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

McHonda wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 16:44
M840TR wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 20:05
Asked to specify which areas McLaren lost performance in, Alonso replied: “Well, it’s a private thing in the team but definitely we took some directions in this project that were not giving the results we were expected.

Some compromises were made in the car for a lot of hopes on performance, they were not coming so we only took the downside of those decisions. So next year should be much better and the lesson is taken.”

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/909848/1/ ... 019-alonso
*cough* Rear suspension *cough*

Ended up with no mechanical grip for the limited aero benefit it brought is my totally uneducated guess.

Yeah, that isn't it... I think that's actually working. My guess would be sidepods. Saw alot of flowvis around those.

M840TR

diffuser wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 17:19
McHonda wrote:
M840TR wrote:
Asked to specify which areas McLaren lost performance in, Alonso replied: “Well, it’s a private thing in the team but definitely we took some directions in this project that were not giving the results we were expected.

Some compromises were made in the car for a lot of hopes on performance, they were not coming so we only took the downside of those decisions. So next year should be much better and the lesson is taken.”

Ended up with no mechanical grip for the limited aero benefit it brought is my totally uneducated guess.

Yeah, that isn't it... I think that's actually working. My guess would be sidepods. Saw alot of flowvis around those.
But the sidepod deflectors did improve pace. Unlike the suspension, they could do a lot back to back testing and seemed to be satisfied with the incremental updates since Bahrain. Flo-viz doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work; could just be them trying to understand the aero better.
If you're referring to the vortex generators on top, from what I remember, in Baku they did testing with and without those. Obviously they wouldn't have raced it if it didn't work.

PhillipM

Will never really know I suspect, as they're changing both next year, the rear suspension pickups are moving and the sidepods are changing too (bigger change than mcl32 to 33 supposedly)

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 17:49
diffuser wrote:
McHonda wrote:

But the sidepod deflectors did improve pace. Unlike the suspension, they could do a lot back to back testing and seemed to be satisfied with the incremental updates since Bahrain. Flo-viz doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't work; could just be them trying to understand the aero better.
If you're referring to the vortex generators on top, from what I remember, in Baku they did testing with and without those. Obviously they wouldn't have raced it if it didn't work.

Someone said it here that the change they made to the back was just a change in geometry and likely wouldn't have had any effect on the rear traction(it's Math and it's easy to calculate). We keep bringing it up cause it's something we can see. IF they do have rear traction issues, it's probably around whatever they've done to replace FRIC or what teams call HPC (Hydraulic Pitch Control) suspension.

I think the whole sidepod isn't working like it should.They often put flowvis on the back of the sidepod. Around where that small square panel (looks to be 5-8cms square) is. It is just above floor about half between where the sidepod start and the back of the car. We even saw turbulence there in the Flowvis. It's where the flow of air that goes over the sidepods meets where the air that goes through the under cut. They often put flowvis there when they were trialing all those front wings with bottom plane without the "C".

Jolle

diffuser wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 18:59
M840TR wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 17:49
diffuser wrote:

Someone said it here that the change they made to the back was just a change in geometry and likely wouldn't have had any effect on the rear traction(it's Math and it's easy to calculate). We keep bringing it up cause it's something we can see. IF they do have rear traction issues, it's probably around whatever they've done to replace FRIC or what teams call HPC (Hydraulic Pitch Control) suspension.

I think the whole sidepod isn't working like it should.They often put flowvis on the back of the sidepod. Around where that small square panel (looks to be 5-8cms square) is. It is just above floor about half between where the sidepod start and the back of the car. We even saw turbulence there in the Flowvis. It's where the flow of air that goes over the sidepods meets where the air that goes through the under cut. They often put flowvis there when they were trialing all those front wings with bottom plane without the "C".
There is quite a good chance it's both. If you look at the rear suspension, they combined the angle of RedBull and the mid-way pickup from Ferrari, on paper it works probably but in reality the forces and movement are so far away from where they originate, that even a little flex in any suspension part, will destroy rear traction. RedBull put this point forward to clear up the space at the back to have the diff as smooth as possible, generating more free flow which helps to activate the diffuser. But if the side pods don't work as calculated (or because the Renault a different kind of space), the projected flow isn't there. So good chance they have a compromised rear suspension and a compromised airflow.

To me, the rear suspension looks like a design choice from the aero department, who I assume are much more theoretical and rely more on simulations then suspension engineers who "feel" the limitations of the materials they work with. There is a reason that RedBull still got their suspension pickup near the wheel instead of half way down the wishbone and Ferrari haven't moved the spring so much forward.

The whole McLaren rear suspension to me looks a lot like pull-rod front suspension. In theory it's better, cleaner airflow... but nobody can make it work because the angles are just too shallow for the materials and forces to react in a good way.

McG

diffuser wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 20:20
proteus wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 19:33
And jet the chasis of this year managed more than twice as much points than the previous one :lol:
Point of the matter is that this year they made it wrong and the car failed, but the platform is stable enough to gain positions during the race. Tyre managment is very good as far as i see it.

They managed much better qualifying performances in 2017, but at the other hand they were losing those positions at practically every race due to the fuel saving. Not to mention, the car was able even to break down before the start.

This year, they were lucky with some of their rivals infront getting retirements but this is how this sport works, u dont stop because someone infront of u stopped. U take what u can. In Mexico, after quite some time, Vandoorne as well finally prooved that overtaking is possible with this car, especially against better powered Haas and Williams cars which are fast on the straights.

Honda has better packaging than Renault, which also explains why STR was so much more confortable with marrying their chasis with the engine. For long we were all talking and listening about how the next year its going to be better and so on, but now the 2019 is the crunch time for Mclaren. The car will be fully developed for the Renault engine and we shall see if they can walk the walk, or just talk the talk.

I believe they will lose the 6th in the standings against Racing point by the end of this season, and i say 5th should be their objective for next season. They need to learn how to walk again, before running.
What makes you think Honda have a better packaging? I think the expectations were higher for McLaren. What makes you think STR was so successful at marrying the package?

Technically crunch time was 2018. They failed. That is why they cleaned house. I hope 2019 will be alot better but in reality it is a transition year(Keys will have just arrived). Agree on PU integration.

15 point is hard to make up in 2 races. FI have made 15 points in the last 4 races combined. While McLaren have made 4.
Crunch time is if they go into administration. Which as we have seen with Force India recently isn't always a bad thing.

Keep on crunchin.
F1 is dead.

RonDennis

Well we got the front suspension that got banned, the rear suspension that was already banned, banned monkey seat, Renault integration, heat problems so there are multiple reasons why this car is simply terrible. I'm still quite sure that the 2017 car had a pretty good chassis, not the best but definitely 4th best in my opinion.

McHonda

diffuser wrote:
McHonda wrote:
M840TR wrote:

What compromises were made for the sidepods this year?

McHonda

I should say there's obviously more than one issue on the car as well, I just thought the description matches what we were told about the rear suspension at winter testing from the other teams when asked to comment on it. (That it could come at the cost of compromised mechanical grip for the aero benefit and was "interesting" was how Newey described it iirc)

If like suggested above it reacted badly with air flow from somewhere else like the sidepods then they may have got no benefit at all from it, quite the opposite possibly even in terms of aero as well as the original cost on mechanical grip.

RonDennis

Good news for McLaren, Ocon get's a grid penalty because of a gearbox change.

michl420

Everyone point to the rear Suspension. The design of a wishbone is easy to Change if it's wrong, but they don't do it, so i think that is not a Problem.

Jolle

michl420 wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 13:20
Everyone point to the rear Suspension. The design of a wishbone is easy to Change if it's wrong, but they don't do it, so i think that is not a Problem.
Not that easy. It needs a redesign one the complete rear end. New gearbox casing, a less slim rear end, no floating diff, new uprights and rear suspension geometry.

This all has big impacts on the aero and they don't have the time (tunnel or CFD) to redesign this, which changes the whole concept of the car.

BrunoH

i did not see qualy.. what happened to them?

lio007

BrunoH wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:31
Anything in particular, just bad performance. I think the whole team will be happy come Sunday in two weeks. It could only get better in 2019!

McG

lio007 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 15:43
BrunoH wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:31
Anything in particular, just bad performance. I think the whole team will be happy come Sunday in two weeks. It could only get better in 2019!
Honestly can't wait for this season to be over. I'm just watching the race out of habit now (haven't missed a race in about 25 years). Glad there has been some eventful races recently though.
F1 is dead.