2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2018 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Phil wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 15:58
Schuttelberg wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 21:39
Toto Wolff is feeling the heat. This is the first time he's under proper pressure from a rival team and he's thrown two of his employees under the bus in two weeks!
I'd love to participate in the discussion, but unfortunately, I have no idea what Toto said or did that would warrant this feeling. It would be great when making such claims to link to something. (Note; I've been trying to follow the news and the race topic, but haven't found what you are referring to).

Anyway, Toto can be hot-headed sometimes. I think it's amazing how calm he remains most of the time, but deep down, you can tell he really wants to win. Having that said, I think in the fact that Kimi hitting Lewis is being used to create some additional pressure outside the race. It's perhaps very unsporting to do so, after all, to suggest Kimi would indeed to something like that on purpose is absolutely ridiculous, but I also get the anger and frustration some have, especially the team and Lewis, over being taken away the chance to legitimately fight for that victory by a driver of the closest competitor. But this is Motorsports and these things happen sometimes.

Also as for last week, I think it was commendable for Vowels to step up and come on team-radio. I also don't believe that message was meant to be scrutinized by the world, but a message to Lewis (who I guess can be a bit emotional at times in the heat of the moment) to calm down and focus. Win as a team, lose as a team.
I had me a nice chuckle when I read this. You seriously haven't read one article about Toto insinuating that the Ferrari's intentionally are trying to take Mercedes drivers out in races? Either that, or it's incompetence. The worst thing he did was that he said Allison said so. To be honest, I don't care if it's gamesmanship or not but it's absolutely pathetic to accuse someone of something so low without proof.

Every team principle wants to win. It doesn't make Toto special. It's also easy to be calm when your drivers are the one's fighting for championships. 2018 is the first real serious threat from an outsider and he's often found with ants in his pants. Lewis saved the day today and I don't think a penalty was far off.

You might think what Vowels did was commendable. I think that sort of stuff should be reserved for debriefs. No need for a public dressing down.

I didn't appreciate Lewis making those accusations but he had just done a race and you can understand that the adrenaline made him hot under the collar. Toto was sitting comfy in a garage and then he comes out and makes these outlandish claims? Sorry, it's not on. I think he's a sorry excuse in the name of a team leader.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GoranF1
GoranF1

Before Germany what was lowest starting position Hamilton won the race from?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Sierra117

GoranF1 wrote:
28 Jul 2018, 08:42
Before Germany what was lowest starting position Hamilton won the race from?
I believe 2014 Silverstone from P6.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

De Jokke

Hi,

=D> Great job by our boys yesterday but I'm not sure we'll keep those reds behind today. Pitstops will be crucial unless the merc pace is that far off during the race...

I've read lots of negative comments from merc fans for the 2nd half so not too optimistic. Lewis is taking every opportunity he has (Germany rain, yesterday rain) but this rain'help' won't continue. How are you guys feeling about the 2nd half of the season? Fer will have an even bigger pu update and merc has no clue… doesn't bode well. Frankly I'm a bit surprised as this year the merc has a new engine concept which should have given them a wider scope for development, no? I'm quite convinced that Ferrari is exploiting a loophole somewhere with the energy stuff, hopefully merc discovers it asap.
We should be able to lead both championships after today, here's to a great race for merc! :wink:
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

dfegan358
dfegan358

Let’s say Hamilton wins today and Vettel second. Hamilton has25 point lead with rest of season to go.

As you say the rain has helped Mercedes. Not to take away from Hamilton’s skills at all. Going forward it seems Ferrari does have the faster car.

Sets up well for the Rest of the year
I think Vettel will come out on top. Expect Ferrari will be very strong for the next 3/4 races after the break

GPR-A duplicate2

De Jokke wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 10:46
Hi,

=D> Great job by our boys yesterday but I'm not sure we'll keep those reds behind today. Pitstops will be crucial unless the merc pace is that far off during the race...

I've read lots of negative comments from merc fans for the 2nd half so not too optimistic. Lewis is taking every opportunity he has (Germany rain, yesterday rain) but this rain'help' won't continue. How are you guys feeling about the 2nd half of the season? Fer will have an even bigger pu update and merc has no clue… doesn't bode well. Frankly I'm a bit surprised as this year the merc has a new engine concept which should have given them a wider scope for development, no? I'm quite convinced that Ferrari is exploiting a loophole somewhere with the energy stuff, hopefully merc discovers it asap.
We should be able to lead both championships after today, here's to a great race for merc! :wink:
First off, the speed advantage that Ferrari has got, is in qualifying. Mercedes has been faster on average in race conditions. Neither Ferrari, nor Mercedes can afford to use the quali mode in races, which then puts the driver and the race compliant car on the track for race day. In the past two races, Vettel was fighting blisters while in free air against Hamilton coming through the field and yet not having those issues. Barring the starts, where Ferrari seems to be having a slight advantage, whoever believes that Ferrari can beat the Mercs, might just get surprised if Mercs manage to keep the position after turn 1. Throughout the weekend, it was Bottas who was faster through the Sector 2, including on final qualifying flier, despite not having a perfectly setup (or complian t) car. The track being notoriously difficult to overtake, even if a car behind is a second a lap faster, it would still be difficult to overtake any of the top 3 teams.

Whatever trick that Ferrari has figured out, even if Mercedes understands it by now, it would most likely be only possible to accommodate a variant of that trick by next year. I would be surprised if they don't understand what the trick is. These guys have far superior resources to understand these things.
For this year, it's about exploiting their own ideas with the new PU architecture. Mercedes generally doesn't disclose their upgrade plans and neither they bring upgrades in a hurry and would prefer to test it thoroughly as they do not want to compromise the reliability of the car.
There are two possibilities. If Mercedes (or any team for that matter), can figure out what the trick is and if they feel it is not something that they can accommodate, then they will explain it to FIA by fully providing details of the trick and pushing it outside of the realms of legality and get it banned. If they figure out that they can also replicate it, then they will not make any noise, but go ahead and implement it themselves.

De Jokke

Great drive by Lewis but good to have 'bus Bottas' inbetween as the Ferrari race pace was far superior.

I think for now that Merc doesn't have a clue what it is that Ferrari are doing, neither does Renault.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Schuttelberg

De Jokke wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 18:34
Great drive by Lewis but good to have 'bus Bottas' inbetween as the Ferrari race pace was far superior.

I think for now that Merc doesn't have a clue what it is that Ferrari are doing, neither does Renault.
Renault don't have a clue what Renault are doing mate.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Partymood
Partymood

GPR-A wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 13:30
De Jokke wrote:
Hi,

First off, the speed advantage that Ferrari has got, is in qualifying. Mercedes has been faster on average in race conditions. Neither Ferrari, nor Mercedes can afford to use the quali mode in races, which then puts the driver and the race compliant car on the track for race day. In the past two races, Vettel was fighting blisters while in free air against Hamilton coming through the field and yet not having those issues. Barring the starts, where Ferrari seems to be having a slight advantage, whoever believes that Ferrari can beat the Mercs, might just get surprised if Mercs manage to keep the position after turn 1. Throughout the weekend, it was Bottas who was faster through the Sector 2, including on final qualifying flier, despite not having a perfectly setup (or complian t) car. The track being notoriously difficult to overtake, even if a car behind is a second a lap faster, it would still be difficult to overtake any of the top 3 teams.

Whatever trick that Ferrari has figured out, even if Mercedes understands it by now, it would most likely be only possible to accommodate a variant of that trick by next year. I would be surprised if they don't understand what the trick is. These guys have far superior resources to understand these things.
For this year, it's about exploiting their own ideas with the new PU architecture. Mercedes generally doesn't disclose their upgrade plans and neither they bring upgrades in a hurry and would prefer to test it thoroughly as they do not want to compromise the reliability of the car.
There are two possibilities. If Mercedes (or any team for that matter), can figure out what the trick is and if they feel it is not something that they can accommodate, then they will explain it to FIA by fully providing details of the trick and pushing it outside of the realms of legality and get it banned. If they figure out that they can also replicate it, then they will not make any noise, but go ahead and implement it themselves.
:? Didn't Mercs already made quite a bit of noise about it and the MIA provided to check the Ferrari and gave them the all clear?

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

De Jokke wrote:
Hi,

Pretty much agree with GP. It's clear cut that Merc is at least equal on race day with Ferrari, handling seems better.
The problem is the Q, Ferrari has found something. What it is we don't know exactly, maybe the same story in Spain/Monaco? And after passing the "tests" (Actually FIA just doesn't have sufficient tools for checking, it was kind of a joke the story back then) they started exploiting this system even more?
If our knowledge applies to remaining races, Vettel's got the upper hand in most of them, so ceteris paribus he should have the first say in championship terms. But of course life never goes that way, so we won't get to that.
But Mercedes must react and find something, you can't just hope that Hami would always save the day.
The whole thing relies on the hands of the third PU.

etusch

I don't think that mercedes know what Ferrari did. If they were, I think, they would ask a specific question to fia about it's legallity and if fia confirm it as legall they would implement it.

PhillipM
PhillipM

They already did, to get the FIA to clarify it before they do the same thing.

LM10
LM10

Even if Mercedes figures out what Ferrari is doing, they will be at least 1 year behind in developing.

@GPR-A: How should Mercedes or any team "fully provide details" of what Ferrari is doing?

GPR-A duplicate2

LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 15:22
Even if Mercedes figures out what Ferrari is doing, they will be at least 1 year behind in developing.

@GPR-A: How should Mercedes or any team "fully provide details" of what Ferrari is doing?
I was trying to find an article where Mercedes sought clarifications for Ferrari double oil tank last year, which was more like, "If I do this, would it be legal?" and FIA said, "No", then Mercedes was like, "This is something the OTHER team is doing". Then FIA was like, "Let's ban that".
Until a point where teams figured out how Mercedes was allegedly using oil burning, FIA thought everything was fine and once other teams started providing more details, then FIA came up with new oil burning regulations and that sort of put Mercedes off the game. Remember, there was no clarity around oil burning and then FIA came up with one.
Same with FRIC suspension. All was well until other teams went to FIA and proved how the FRIC is aiding the aerodynamics, FIA banned it.

So, these guys are very smart and will figure out a way to bring these escape loop holes into one or the other legality territory and FIA would be forced to issue a clarification which would ban the exploitation.